Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I put this up on the old site a while back. BUT I think this bears repeating

Every Man Should Have A Rifle
Henry Lawson

So I sit and write and ponder, while the house is deaf and dumb,
Seeing visions "over yonder" of the war I know must come.
In the corner - not a vision - but a sign for coming days
Stand a box of ammunition and a rifle in green baize.
And in this, the living present, let the word go through the land,
Every tradesman, clerk and peasant should have these two things at hand.

No - no ranting song is needed, and no meeting, flag or fuss -
In the future, still unheeded, shall the spirit come to us!
Without feathers, drum or riot on the day that is to be,
We shall march down, very quiet, to our stations by the sea.
While the bitter parties stifle every voice that warns of war,
Every man should own a rifle and have cartridges in store!

This is been copied and hangs on a wall in my house!! ;)

G

·
Yes, every responsible man should have a rifle. I have seen some people on the range that scare me with the way they handle a weapon. I've seen people twirling a loaded revolver around their finger like a toy :cantlook:

·
Administrator
29,244 Posts
'Cuz it's still relevant.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Never owned a rifle 'til issued an M14 for my first trip to Vietnam. Then an M16, then an M79 and 1911 for my second trip. Was a range coach, and taught crew served weapons, M60 and 106 recoiless rifle. Since then I have never been without fire arms of my own. Yes everyone should have a rifle and a side arm wouldn't hurt either. Taught my sons that and they in turn taught there sons and they there sons when old enough. It comes down to a simple fact, protect yourself, families and America.

·
Premium Member
36,852 Posts
I'm trying to understand why it is "a" rifle.

Shouldn't it be "a few", or "several"?

I mean...having one rifle is like having one pair of boots. Doesn't a man need Sunday go-to-meeting boots, work boots, and hiking boots, and maybe some hunting boots, and some snow boots, and.....

:p

·
Premium Member
60 Posts

I mean...having one rifle is like having one pair of boots. Doesn't a man need Sunday go-to-meeting boots, work boots, and hiking boots, and maybe some hunting boots, and some snow boots, and.....

So let's just say as many as you can?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

Well according to my liberal buddy (yes I have one, but only one), why do you need more than one?

Every time one of us would show up at the sportsman's club with a new gun he'd be going on and on about 'how many guns do you guys have? Don't you have enough? Why do you need another gun?'

Which was all the motivation I needed to go buy another gun.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts

Another old adage, beware the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Society and its relatively civilized behavior hangs by a thread. Take away a few meals as a result of some natural or POL/ECONOMIC disaster, and things can change in a hurry. Suddenly, a man will have to be his own first-responder, more than ever, and he will also need to be able to harvest his own game if any presents itself. The rifle will help him to keep his loved ones and himself in shape to make it through the bad times.

·
Resident PITA
16,235 Posts
Society and its relatively civilized behavior hangs by a thread. Take away a few meals as a result of some natural or POL/ECONOMIC disaster, and things can change in a hurry.
Three days. Humans can deal with disastrous conditions for three days. After that all hell breaks loose.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,870 Posts
'Cuz it's still relevant.

Peace favor your Establishment Clause...
Kirk

Trying to convert the unwashed, unarmed masses here, Bub! :D

Well according to my liberal buddy (yes I have one, but only one), why do you need more than one?

Every time one of us would show up at the sportsman's club with a new gun he'd be going on and on about 'how many guns do you guys have? Don't you have enough? Why do you need another gun?'

Which was all the motivation I needed to go buy another gun.
Good Buddy! ;) Motivates you properly :rofl:

A .22 rifle, centerfire rifle, some kind of handgun (rimfire or centerfire) and shotgun seems like a basic combination for dealing with potential situations and problems.
THAT should be the 'bare minimum' AGREED!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts

When you figure Henry Lawson wrote this in 1907, a single rifle was much more common than today. We can produce and buy much higher numbers, which if it were written today would be more appropriate. Still, every man (and woman) should have a rifle, a side arm and ammunition for both.

Also back then in Australia, firearms were still legal.

Add to it he was deaf and then they considered you dumb too, all though very insightful to the happenings of society.

Most importantly, he know when the citizens of a country were armed, they were a free country.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Three days. Humans can deal with disastrous conditions for three days. After that all hell breaks loose.
After three days then friends turn on friends and neighbors will turn on neighbors... Then the real difference between the haves and the have nots will appear. Best to have and be prepared! :cool:

·
Registered
323 Posts

One of my favorite sayings rrom my youth, beware the man who only has one gun. For he knows how to use it..........first heard that from my granddad who only had one gun. A colt pocket positive in 32 new police caliber..........he knew how to use it.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.