Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a personal story I am sharing.

SO... I like to listen to the scanner. I happen to hear a dispatch go out for a 17 year old shop lifter who boosted a pair of shoes and a t-shirt. No confrontation but ran from the store with items.

He ran into a wooded area behind the mall about a mile from me.
3 units dispatched on the initial call.

15 minutes later, 4 more units dispatched to help in the search.

10 minutes later all available units ( 6 patrol cars) from neighboring town also dispatched to aid in the "manhunt".

5 minutes later 1 county chopper from neighboring country dispatched and 3 more cars from my local township.

15 minutes later 1 chopper from my local county also dispatched along with 2 more k-9 units.

Suspect has also been identified at this time and family has been contacted.

I can hear both choppers making sweeps about a half mile away or so.

1 hour later all available fire units requested to help in search.

Now mind you there are almost weekly layoffs in the area or furlough cuts in leo and fire dept's due to budget mis-management.

This started 4 hours ago and they just caught the kid. I am going to go out on a limb and say this whole round up cost about 20k for at best 50 dollars worth of goods.

Now mind you he is 17 according to dispatch and will probably not see any jail time as we have closed two in the last year in my area ..so WTF is the point? Why do my tax dollars go to pay for this over kill when they know who the kid is?

I mean I understand that is was probably a great exercise for the two countys, but for real just seems like such a waste of resources. And mind you this is not including the cost to take him to court and in the event he may do jail time the cost of housing him. It just really does not seem worth it considering the store will write those goods off as they will be logged as evidence..

End Rant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rediculous LE / FD response seems to be epidemic here as well. Our tax dollars at work, eh?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The headlines never read "Massive police layoffs due to wise money management".

It is the excuse of the bureaucrat to justify the theft of our money.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
In defense of the cops, perhaps someone saw this as a good time to get some on-the-job training in "manhunt" techniques when not much was at stake?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
In defense of the cops, perhaps someone saw this as a good time to get some on-the-job training in "manhunt" techniques when not much was at stake?
Except our money lol.

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
There were just trying to follow the SC mayor. No foot pursuit.. we'll just get a bunch more police officers, FireFighters and block off the perimeter, Then send in the helicopters to track him down.. My tax dollars would rather have 1-2 cops foot pursuit him, and possibly twist their ankle!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts