Expensive

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by SAMPO, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Can shooting the .45 ACP be expensive in the long run, while its obvious that for protection that specific caliber exceeds its purpose, would it be economical as a range caliber.

2. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Huh?
    Looks like you got one long run on sentence, amigo. ;)
    I will try to make sense...
    Yes, the .45acp is expensive to shoot.
    As far as exceeding its purpose for protection, I really dont know.
    Economical as a range caliber? Well, that depends on a few factors. Do you reload? Do you buy cheaper, say, wolf ammo? Do you go every week to the range (I wish!)
    Everytime I go shooting, I take my 1911 as well: I have to keep proficient with it, as it is my CCW piece.

3. hpman

hpman Guest

If money is a problem, use a cheaper caliber to do the majority of your practice. You still need to practice with the .45 though.

4. The .45acp is not a gun for beginners or those on a tight budget. It takes alot of practice to master this particular caliber and practice equals money for ammo.

Though I love the .45acp and especially in the form of a 1911 pistol to shoot it from I would recommend the 9mm as a better overall gun. It's cheaper, less recoil and a better multi function gun (Self Defense, Plinking, etc.)

The .45acp has a purpose and it is to stop aggression as quickly as can be done with a handgun and it excels in that purpose but I don't see how it exceeds it.

My personal recommendation for multi-use and affordable even with reloading would be a 9mm and even moreso if you're an inexperienced shooter.

5. 9mm for practice, .40 for carry. For example, get a Hi-Point 9 and a .40, shoot 150 rounds per trip with the 9 and 50 with the .40. Same basic skill set, yet helps you stay proficient with your carry piece (I'm going to start doing that when I get a G26 to go with my G27).

6. Ari

Ari Guest

Always practice with rounds that are very close to what you carry..
    9mm is cheaper but not a whole bunch cheaper. Define expensive? 45acp is not as expensive as a 44 mag.

7. rrjenn

rrjenn Guest

Only gun I know of that may exceed it's purpose is maybe the ten gauge shotgun.

8. Range caliber for economic reasons?

.22 LR.

If you want to shoot cheap, buy components by the bulk and reload.

I just bought an 8 pound jug of powder, have about 4 thousand large pistol primers and a couple thousand pieces of 45 brass.

Cheaper than buying by the case, however bullets are skyrocketing in price these days.

Highly annoying.

9. Ok sow I worded it wrong. By exceeds I meant it accomplishes its goal effectively and them some...I am not a beginner at shooting but not by any means a pro. I own both a .380 and .40SW caliber handguns so am feel comfortable shooting a .45...I came across a fairly priced weapon that was not my primary choice in caliber, and was wondering if I should consider it based on price not caliber....
    [/list]

10. .45acp can get expensive if you shoot a lot and purchase all your ammunition from shops or even Wal Mart. If you want to really shoot .45acp a lot you need to get into reloading, then it becomes affordable.

I like to shoot .44 Special, cost as much or more than .45acp does and if I had to purchase all my ammo I would not shoot it often. I can reload 100rds of .44 Special for less than 50rds of store bought economy line 9mm, so when it comes to the big bore calibers reloading pays off big time if you like to shoot often.

11. Ari

Ari Guest

Only one pit fall here, that is once you start shooting 45 it can become the round you like to shoot the most. :wink:

What is the weapon?

12. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Reloading is where it's at!

I cut my cost of 9mm in half, and would probably cut it in thirds with .45. Once I start casting bullets, the cost of 9mm will be 1/4 what I used to pay for it at the store.

13. How true.

14. If you have a place to cast yer own bullets, and a cheap/free source for lead, you can cut the cost of reloading nearly in half. When it comes to reloading most people take real pride in the ammo they load and the money it saves them come trigger time at the range.

15. +1
    The savings are very nice and allow more trigger time and more trigger time is what it's really all about.
    Pride in your own ammo will probably override any joy you may have in the cost savings.

Beware though, reloading can be quite enjoyable and as addictive as shooting.
    Alot of us start to reload for savings then realize that we started an enjoyable and relaxing new hobby in it's own right.
    Oh, you'll probably just shoot two or three times as much ammo so the cost savings won't really be there :D

16. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

well for range and plinking take a .22lr with you.

i shoot my .22 more then anything else cause it's cheapest to shoot

but you still have to take your SD/HD gun for practice.. i usually fire 100-150 rounds from my pt92 then switch over to a .22

.45 is not a good caliber to just go plinking with it's to expensive it's a fine choice for sd/hd but personally i like 9mm it's plenty of man stopping power, is accurate, common, "relatively" cheap, and has excellent capacity.

but even 9mm gets expensive after a little bit so it's always good to take a .22 with you.