Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a chart of "recomended loads for a particular bullet, and above the chart it said...
(Note: These are near MAXIMUM loads, you should use 10% less to start.)
(See note on Powders below or read all about various Powders.)
Bullet sizes vary ..... for some lead in diameter. Due to different barrel lengths, type of bullet, seating depth, primer type and other factors, you may not get near the FPS charted. It is just a guide and the reason you should start under these charges and work up.
So my question is, If I start at "10% less" than the "near maximum load" how will I know if I want to "work up"?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Mornin Delmar
You will know what your weapon likes by the out come of your POI. I learned that by shootin black powder. Every weapon is different. I'm gettin my reloadin equipment tomorrow for my C9. Find out what your setup calls for, start at the lowest amount and work up 5 grains at a time. You may end up cuttin that in half. Your weapon will tell you what it wants.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mornin Delmar
You will know what your weapon likes by the out come of your POI. I learned that by shootin black powder. Every weapon is different. I'm gettin my reloadin equipment tomorrow for my C9. Find out what your setup calls for, start at the lowest amount and work up 5 grains at a time. You may end up cuttin that in half. Your weapon will tell you what it wants.
POI ?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
POI = Point of Impact. Also to note, rather than work up 5 grains, I think he meant .5 grains which is a half a grain. Hell, I put WAY less than 5 grains in a standard 9mm case, so working up 5 grains would kaboom your gun... Just an FYI.

What I would suggest you do is start at the acutal bottom of the published load data for the bullet you'll be using and work up from there. Add about .2 grains per loading until you get to a point where your bullets group well at 10 - 15 yards with minimal, manageable recoil and stick with that. Also, just for fun, load up 50 rounds at the max published loads just for some wrist breaking fun. I do it with my .50 AE Desert Eagle all the time. Just ask Stryker1, he's shot my DE reloads, even though he thinks it's a waste of a gun, he loves to shoot it.

Take your time, work your load at your own pace. If you're not comfortable with the written data, you won't be comfortable loading those rounds into your magazine to fire at the range. Take it slow, work the data and let us know how it turns out. Half the fun of reloading is working up a recipe that works for you and your gun of choice.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I stand corrected. I did mean .5 grains. Thanks PrimalSeal for catching that for me. I will be more careful in the future.
I've been shooting black powder to long,,,,

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
POI = Point of Impact. Also to note, rather than work up 5 grains, I think he meant .5 grains which is a half a grain. Hell, I put WAY less than 5 grains in a standard 9mm case, so working up 5 grains would kaboom your gun... Just an FYI.

What I would suggest you do is start at the acutal bottom of the published load data for the bullet you'll be using and work up from there. Add about .2 grains per loading until you get to a point where your bullets group well at 10 - 15 yards with minimal, manageable recoil and stick with that. Also, just for fun, load up 50 rounds at the max published loads just for some wrist breaking fun. I do it with my .50 AE Desert Eagle all the time. Just ask Stryker1, he's shot my DE reloads, even though he thinks it's a waste of a gun, he loves to shoot it.

Take your time, work your load at your own pace. If you're not comfortable with the written data, you won't be comfortable loading those rounds into your magazine to fire at the range. Take it slow, work the data and let us know how it turns out. Half the fun of reloading is working up a recipe that works for you and your gun of choice.
The chart I was talking about recommended X.X grains as a max. charge for one particular powder. if I follow the recommendation of starting at 10% less I would be starting at around X.X , correct?

I also found a chart that shows a target accurate load, and a "hot load" for each bullet with each powder!

·
Registered
312 Posts
My 995 has no problem digesting 9mm loads made for the indoor range at 10% less than any published max load.

As an example of the math only..this is NOT a load...if the max load published was 100 grains your starting load would be 90 grains. A 6.0 grain max at 10% less would thus be 5.4 grains. Again this is NOT a load, just a math example.

The simple formula is MAX PUBLISHED LOAD X .90 = recommended starting load

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at this chart again and I noticed something that I just don't understand. The chart recommends less powder for the 200 grain bullet than for the 155 grain, and even less for the 230 grain bullet. I would have assumed that a heavier bullet would require more powder. What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this because pushing a heavier bullet creates more pressure in the chamber?

I did notice that the 155 grain bullet travels a much greater rate of speed.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
That also depends on the type of bullet used. What bullets are listed for that particular data? FMJ, JHP etc.... All of them have different ballistic properties, so they are going to have different ratings for kinetic energy, muzzle velocity and that type of thing.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That also depends on the type of bullet used. What bullets are listed for that particular data? FMJ, JHP etc.... All of them have different ballistic properties, so they are going to have different ratings for kinetic energy, muzzle velocity and that type of thing.
I was comparing Semi-Wad Cutters in 3 different weights.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
What reload table data are you using?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I'll look at it when I get a chance dude, and I'll come up with something for you. Right now, my weekend is busy and I am already tired.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll look at it when I get a chance dude, and I'll come up with something for you. Right now, my weekend is busy and I am already tired.
No hurry! I am having fun reading and learning and I don't expect to be an expert real soon!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would add that as a rookie reloader myself, I am never sure enough about any reloading data posted on a web forum to actually use it. I prefer to verify the load data in a manual or from a powder/bullet manufacturer's website directly.

I do not think for an instant that I would knowingly publish incorrect info, but I do know that I can't type fer crapola and would not trust any multiple digit number I typed without quadruple checking it myself, and even after proofreading my own posts I still find typos later on. The only reloading safety tool is between my ears, and I have to remember to use it early and use it often.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Delmar,

Best (safest) source of load data for a beginner (both me and you) is the on-line load data from the powder manufactures or printed data in reloading manuals. As RandyP wisely said, typos do occur. As an example see the one earlier in this thread. And, sadly, there might be malicious people that would post dangerous loads just for the fun of it.

Hogdon Powder, and other manufactures, have excellent websites for the powders they make and have tons of load data. They also offer free print data if you contact them.

Not only will bullet weight and shape effect powder charge but composition (lead vs FMJ) as well. Copper jacket is harder than lead.

If you can overlook the shameless self promotion the "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" is a great book that will answer many of your questions and has more load data then the "ABC's of Reloading."

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Not any 995 info but i have had the best results with laser cut 200 grain cast 45acp semi wad cutters (what a mouth ful) and X.XX grains of red dot powder with winchest large pistol primers in all of my 1911's but that is the graet thing about reloading if you dont like the way somthing is performing you can tweak it!....LOL

Edited by PrimalSeal to remove load charge data.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Always use load data from the powder manufacture .. As stated start off loading about 20 rounds at the 10% under maximum load .. Next load 20 rounds at 5% maximum .. Keep the loads seperated in different containers and go to the range .. Mark your target paper with the load data for the first 20 rounds and shoot one or two clips thru it .. Check your results on the paper .. Repeat with the second loads and checke again you should see the differnce from each on accuracy .. Then make adjustment to your loads staying under the maximum load ..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.