Exploding rifle bullets of WWII

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Jan 22, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

2. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

That fellow has an interesting Blog!

Lots of decent stories.

Thanks for the link, Kirk.

eldar

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

One of the comments on the video:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I hope that guy advocating it's use is on OUR SIDE! lol

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

WP rounds do more then just explode, when wet and air hits it WP ignites and burns. It is not a pretty sight to see someone wounded burning from the inside of the wound.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

That is "White Phosphorous" for the non-military in the crowd...:p

7. I collect small arms ordinance. Anything from .22 up to field artillery shells. I have a pair of 8mm Mauser rounds from WW 2 that have wooden bullets. Actually turned wooden projectiles.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Gallery Ammunition or just using anything available because of the strangulation of war-time materials?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. I did research.. Because of the lack of materials they stated using what ever they could get their hands on. One has a green tint the other is bare wood granted both aged. I have read where they also soaked the wood in some chemical that while not fatal, would cause the injured soldier to get sick as a dog. Their intention was to tie up personnel in the care and recovery of the wounded.

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    White Phosphorous **aka WP or Willy-Pete** is a form of phosphorous that burns violently when exposed to oxygen.

It is used in certain hand grenades and artillery shells. When WP ordnance detonates, it sends the WP in multiple directions, resulting in intense heat and smoke. It is supposed to be used for marking targets but has a particularly lethal effect.

One of the particularly nasty things about WP is that it causes severe burn injuries when it hits flesh, and water won't necessarily put it out right away. When I was a kid, back in the '80s, we had a Vietnam veteran come speak to our church congregation about how his faith helped him recover from the effects of WP burns that he'd suffered when a WP grenade blew up in his hand. (His name is Dave Roever if you want to look him up. He is truly inspirational and causes me to feel pretty small when I get worked up over simple problems) Anyhow, he told us that WP is so brutal that some men who had bits of it deep inside there wounds--deep enough to extinguish it--would have their wounds burst into flames when surgeons opened them up in the field hospitals. It's nasty stuff.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Everything I've ever heard about those was that they were used like blanks for training, either just familiarization, shooting over trainees, or maybe very short range targets. Unlike normal blanks, they could cycle the MG. The poison thing is a myth, no one has actually tested one and reported an actual poison.

Most times, they had a device on the muzzle that basically shredded the wood, so no one got hurt out past 25 meters or so.

Swedes used them too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  12. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

shoot the isis folks in the groin with those rounds

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I wanna read this thread later. I did an school report when I was in elementary school on exploding mini balls. My source was the Civil War Times magazine. Someone still sells exploding .22's. That is what Reagan was shot with. They didn't explode.