Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed something that could be a problem with my 995. If I grasp the receiver shroud in one hand, and the buttstock in the other, I've noticed that the buttstock can flex and move a bit. I also think that my receiver is moving around slightly inside the stock (not sure on this one, though). I'm wondering if this is the source of the problems I've been having. My 995 has been sick, she just wouldn't hold zero with a red dot I had mounted on it. Going to test it with irons this weekend, but my 995 was someone else's truck gun before I got it, and it's got it's share of dings. Might be time to send the poor little thing back to Hi Point for some TLC.

I was wondering, however, if anyone else has noticed this sort of flexing in the stock, or if it's normal?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The flexing is normal. Take the thing apart and you'll see why - it's made about like the Mattel M16s I used to play with as a kid. I wouldn't hesitate to call it flimsy. But it's just 9mm, it's more than adequate for what the rifle was designed for. The ATI stocks are built like tanks, and make it a viable melee weapon. That was the main reason I switched. The factory stock's ergonomics are out of this world - when you raise the weapon to your shoulder it goes right where it's supposed to, without having to adjust or practice. If only it were made of better material.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The flexing, believe it or not, is key to the 995's design, and why some ATI users have experienced issues w/the conversion stock. The slight give absorbs some of the shock asscociated with a blowback action, and the designers have noticed that without this slight flex, the carbine experiences problems. There is a sticky explaining Hi-Point's position on this design characteristic and their approach to the ATI stock.

Also, as for their 'mele' status: it's a carbine and NOT a club! Granted you can kill a medium size animal with just about any HP pistol via blunt force trauma, but if you aqe resorting to striking someone w/a civilian grade carbine, you have made a grevious error in your tactical plans or you should not have gone to that fight in the first place

·
Registered
148 Posts
This was a touchy subject a year ago. The first 100 rounds I fired were with the oem stock, 20 from a sand bag rest, although the carbine functioned perfectly, accuracy at 25 yds was less than desired, although my groupings were 6" or less, my compact 45 pistol was more accurate shooting off hand. Two weeks later, after I received and installed my ATI stock, at the same range my groupings off a sandbag rest were 2" or less.Noise level dropped and felt recoil was reduced, muzzle flip disapeared.I recently bought a laser boresighter and boresighted all my guns including three new ones. My 995 came with the red dot sight which I had used the ATI laser sight to zero. I had zeroed it at 50 yds. This past week I went to a new indoor range [25yds] using only the red dot scope and put 50 rds inside of 3" off hand.My new guns did not have adjustable sights but boresighting indicated the fixed sights were spot on.My NAA 22mag was reasonably accurate out to 7 yds, my Cimarron 357 was so-so , I think I was flinching. My new Taurus PT 24/7 Pro Ds was a joy, I shot one magazine [17rds] slow fire at the head and a second [17rds] rapid fire at the body with no misses.Best part, I shot five different guns for $12

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. Thanks for the info. My 995 just won't hold zero with my red dot, and I don't expect it will with irons either (but I might be pleasantly surprised) and I'm trying to find out why. Thought this could be the culprit.

Don't really want to go with ATI stock, myself. I'm sure it's great, but I actually like the 'ugly stick' aspect of it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I really have a hard time believing that they seriously considered stock flex as a component to the carbine's design.
You're not the only one. In fact, I find it so hard to believe, that I don't, not even for a minute. These things were engineered to be made as cheaply as possible, and that's all there is to it. The stocks are injection molded polymer of dubious quality and makeup, cast in two halves to create a clam shell. That's the cheapest, easiest way to do this sort of thing. Beemiller is not a large enough manufacturer to leverage a supply of consistent polymer of any sort over this length of time, not in a market where suppliers change their formulas every few months. Even companies like Nike have trouble getting a steady supply of consistent pellets to make their blends - it's just the way that market works. There is very little chance that the composition of the original stocks matches that of today's. A buddy of mine has an older(late 90s) 995, and compared to mine, the stocks have a different amount of flex. His is much more rigid. I can't say that it's not due to age, but it's there none the less. If the flex of the polymer stock were indeed part of the engineering of the rifle, then I have to wonder about the mindset of the engineer. But I don't believe it was at all.

The kind folks at beemiller offer a lifetime warranty on their products, and they service them and ship them back out in incredible times. They are taught to service rifles in factory configuration, and expect returns to arrive in that configuration. Receiving an ATId 995 throws a wrench into a very efficient assembly line, I would say, and it's not at all unreasonable for them to prefer the rifles be kept in stock configuration for returns, for their convenience. They don't make the ATI stocks, don't make any money off them(so they think) so there is no incentive to support them. Again, not at all unreasonable. But to use stock rigidity as a scapegoat to achieve that is silly. It's not so severe, but along the same lines as Springfield stating that taking your pricey M1A apart and lubing it up properly will void the warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep it's weak. I recently bought a 995 "a series" and noticed it flexing. Epoxy worked for a bit but it just failed again. Yeah, I probably could've sent it in but went ahead and ordered the ATI.

NIGHT AND DAY MAN! The ATI is much stronger. If the OEM had a stiffner web like the ATI, maybe I'd have ordered another OEM.

G

·
When mine shows up, I think I'm gonna look into a way to make the oem stock more rigid. maybe with some kind of aluminum skeleton or something...
so many ideas... :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I either just thought of this....or I read it somewhere. I wonder how it would work to take a 995 apart, wrap the barrel and receiver with plastic wrap. Put it back together and then fill the entire stock with expanding foam. You would have to block off the inner grip where the magazine goes. After it cures pull it apart and take the saran wrap off and if it worked you would only have 4-5 dollars in the fix. Also it wouldn't change the weight as much either.

Who knows?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I must have gotten a stock made from a different batch of plastic or something. My 995 is real easy to shoot. Not even the tiniest bit uncomfortable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Plastic stock flex and metal cover with rails not holding zero -- reminds me of my Remington Nylons. I'm new to these carbines, but it seems to me that one positive of the flex may be that it makes them virtually indestructable. Something good to be said about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a used 995 from a coworker a few years back ($50). I noticed the stock flexing, when I took it down to do some cleaning, I found the stock cracked down both sides under the metal top piece. I called Beemiller and they sent me a new stock. The new stock was reinforced exactly where the old one cracked. I haven't shot it a lot but doesn't seem to be too flexible now. They also sent me a new trigger assembly and made me promise to install it. Couldn't see any diff. from old one but installed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts