Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had three failures to extract, which may have been because my loads were too hot*, and made the cases swell; I had to pry them out with a knife. Those same loads worked just fine in my Colt 1991 Officer's Model.
With the last FTE, I didn't try with the rifle intact. I took it apart, to get to the stuck cartridge easier. Then, after I put the rifle back in the stock, I can't get the breech bolt assembly to retract fully, without pounding on the charging handle. If I remove the rifle from the stock, the breech bolt assembly comes back easily. In the stock, requires pounding. I can see no obstruction.

Has anyone encountered this?

*230 grain LRN, over 6.5 grains of Autocomp, or 5.7 grains of Unique. Loads came from Lee's Modern Reloading, 2nd edition.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Take a look at the sear. It sounds like it is facing the wrong way. The ramped side needs to be facing forward, with the notched side to the rear. Otherwise, the firing pin will engage the notched side, stopping the breach block from going any farther back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a look at the sear. It sounds like it is facing the wrong way. The ramped side needs to be facing forward, with the notched side to the rear. Otherwise, the firing pin will engage the notched side, stopping the breach block from going any farther back.
Thanks for the suggestion. The sear is facing the correct way; I just checked.
However, wouldn't the sear facing the wrong way also impede the bolt bolt assembly when it was off the stock? I only encounter the difficulty when it's INSTALLED in the stock.
I think it's the safety. The lever looks bent to me, at the base/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. The sear is facing the correct way; I just checked.
However, wouldn't the sear facing the wrong way also impede the bolt bolt assembly when it was off the stock? I only encounter the difficulty when it's INSTALLED in the stock.
I think it's the safety. The lever looks bent to me, at the base/
Yup. It was the safety. The lever was bent just enough that the bolt breech caught it. I bent it back out with a pair of needle nose, and now it works. Don't know how it got bent in the first place, but I do have a lot of long guns in the cabinet. Maybe it got into a fight.
I wonder if that could also have caused the FTE in some way. Too late for the range today, but I'll go tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Yup. It was the safety. The lever was bent just enough that the bolt breech caught it. I bent it back out with a pair of needle nose, and now it works. Don't know how it got bent in the first place, but I do have a lot of long guns in the cabinet. Maybe it got into a fight.
I wonder if that could also have caused the FTE in some way. Too late for the range today, but I'll go tomorrow.
You have to watch out for those gun fights in tightly packed safes. I have a couple of belligerent ones that like to flop over and smack the ones either next to or across from them when I try to get things in and out of there.

I'm glad you got that issue with the safety diagnosed. The nice thing about Hi Point internals is that they are easy to see, making trouble shooting a lot easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts