Failure to Feed-Hits Firing Pin

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by fyrebasher, Aug 23, 2014.

1. fyrebasher

fyrebasher Member

First I will start by saying I recently bought my first pistol. I went with the CF-380.

I took it out and it had failure to feed issues on every round after the first. When you rack it by hand it all cycles and feeds fine. I have cycles snap caps through with no issues and never had issues with live rounds after inserting the mag.

After you shoot the first round it fails to feed the next round every time. After looking at it and working with it I see that the firing pin is still forward after the first round is shot. My assumption is that when it is fired the sear pin is not catching the firing pin. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the fix?

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'd tell you what's wrong, but you'll just deny it.

3. fyrebasher

fyrebasher Member

Limp wrist? :):) I have considered that and made sure I was holding nice and tight. This also occurs on EVERY round. If it was sometimes I would tend to agree.

4. cicpup

Vermont
    Had someone else try it out?

BTW the firing pin should poke out. It doubles as the ejector. If it's bent that would cause feed issues.

And don't go adjusting the mag yet. That's usually just a problem with the first couple rounds.

5. fyrebasher

fyrebasher Member

Yes, someone else has tried it with same results. I know the pin will be poke out but it is in its "relaxed" position forward. My thought is that the slide is not going far enough back for the sear pin to catch the firing pin. As it works fine when you cycle it by hand.

6. cicpup

Vermont
    Pulled it apart yet? Firing pin springs could be bound up together? Bent firing pin? Bent recoil spring?

When you rack it does it resist at some point or smooth? Cheap wimpy ammo maybe?

Stick around. If I don't nail it someone will.

7. BFH

BFH Member

Possibly the rounds hitting the last shot hold open?

8. fyrebasher

fyrebasher Member

How many springs should be behind the firing pin? I had a short fat spring that fits around a long skinny spring (or that's how I got it). However, the manual seems to only show one spring behind the firing pin.

9. BFH

BFH Member

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4RHp-OZQmag[/ame]

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Great video, thanks for posting.

11. cicpup

Vermont
    Two. Skinny inside fat. Manual is very old.

12. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome bfh! Thanks for the video!

13. BFH

BFH Member

Thanks. I saw it a few days ago and the issue reminded me of it. :)

14. fyrebasher

fyrebasher Member

OK. I guess I will try and file down the slide catch a little. If that doesn't work I may sent it off to Hi-Point for a fix. Thanks and I will let everyone know if it worked.

15. cicpup

Vermont
    Where the hell did you come up with that solution?

16. fyrebasher

fyrebasher Member

I may have used the wrong terms. Last round hold open is what I was refering to. I am going to follow the tip that was in the posted video.

17. cicpup

Vermont
    So you've determined that that's your problem? Well good luck. At least MoM will fix it for free when you're done.

18. fyrebasher

fyrebasher Member

I broke it down and the bullets definately hit it as they cycle up. I figure its a quick easy attempt to fix it. If that doesn't do it I will send it off.

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Maybe weak ammo. Try a different brand.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

20. fyrebasher

fyrebasher Member

I have tried 2 different types of ammo. Acted the same way.