Fate of the Free Fire Zone

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by z71silverado98, Nov 28, 2007.

What to do w/ FFZ

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. Keep It

100.0%
  2. Kill It

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

As the Forum Administration is currently debating the future of the FFZ i thought id ask everyones opinion. The problem we face right now is that some individuals take the discussion too personally and start attacking other members. Thus a few ruin it for the majority We currently have no way to limit individual access to those who do not deserve to be in FFZ.

If post are just deleted there is a lot of backlash because we are 'trying to silence' people.

This is not a place for you to rant. please just answer the poll, your reasons to keep/kill FFZ and if you have a suggestion to the problem go ahead. KEEP IT BRIEF!!

If this thread turns into a nightmare then we will know exactly what to do w/ FFZ.

PS: there is no possible way that jihadist muslims have anything to do w/ shutting down the FFZ so keep that crap outta here!

your opinion will be considered, but this is also not a democracy even if the popular vote is to keep FFZ and the Administration decides to give it the ax, then so be it.

the way things are going we might as well just change the name to the FRIENDLY FIRE ZONE

2. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

Let's keep the Free Fire Zone. However, it is in the mods/admins rights to lock the threads if it starts getting personal. Unfortunately, political discussions tend to get very personal as we are discussing a personal belief system here. Rather like discussing religion, another very personal topic.

That said, it should be possible to have civilized discussions on these topics like adults. It's the juvenile behavior that is threatening this forum. If you can't do a Spock and discuss the topic factually and rationally and leave the emotions outside, then perhaps it IS time to shut down the FFZ.

:cry:

3. I agree. The emotional reaction to these subjects snowballs until it is beyond the point of rational discussion. You could lock the thread(s), but it is still possible to just start another one, then lock it, too, and so on, etc...pretty soon every thread in the FFZ is locked...I voted to keep it, but...

4. do what you must - i trust your judgement - heck, just asking is a sign of trust. I voted to keep it open.

small suggestion - make the rules as clear as you can, then add, "I know it when I see it", then if someone crosses, shut them down totally for a day or two, then another longer period if it happens again. Three strikes ur out. Sometimes I get wrapped up, I admit, but I don't THINK I attack anyone. I also stay away from FFZ voluntarily for a while, just to "take a breather".

I like "fighting" with people that aren't personal, and I really try not to be. I do learn so much and it may not seem like it, but I DO listen!

5. xardoz

xardoz Guest

Keep it! In phpBB2, you should be able to create groups and limit section access to different groups. If someone can't be civil and ignores warnings, the admins can move them to a group that is denied access to the FFZ.

6. Kill it. It seems to bring out the worst in people and nothing seems to be gained from it except discord.

7. MSCHU24

MSCHU24 Member

I hardly ever go in there but when I do I find it entertaining so I voted to keep it. This is probably not the right thread to ask this but...Why does it have to be modded so much? Is there some kind of backlash to mods or admin if something bad is said?
    IMO if someone posts some kind of personal attack on an internet message board about me I don't really care. It's the internet...not life or death. No one is forcing anyone to be here or say anything.

Sticks and stones...

8. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Because this is the friendliest forum on the internet. we are proud of that and I intend to do my part to keep it that way.

Besides, its in the forum rules (just like most other forums) that personal attacks are not allowed. Add that w/ racial slurs and post bordering on hate speech and members start to leave the forum all together.

9. vallen

vallen Member

I say keep it, but i'm here for the HP stuff. If i get to hung up on politics and current events I start to get all twitchy and makes for a bad day.

10. I like it. I enjoy reading Neo's posts and everyone's rebukes back to him and how he can easily hold his own (if the personal attacks are kept at bay).

I say just edit the personal attacks and give warnings.

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

I feel perhaps it's my time to chime in, since alot of the ruffled feathers come from the moment I counter-point.

I try not to put anyone on the spot. It's a key thing for me to be able to open a dialouge and I try to maintain a civil tounge, even when some of my political views outside of this forum might REALLY irk a few in herre.

BUT, this is a gun forum about the ability to put inexpensive, quality firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens in the face of constant threats to our civil right to own them as well as an ecconomy that is putting the average worker at risk of having to forego certain vital parts of daily life, such as the right to defend ones self. There is also the DIY ethic that follows, with people in this forum experimenting with weapon designs in a way that would make most HK and Glock owners cringe! It's that alternative view towards the sport and technology of shooting that keeps me here!

The FFZ...that's just a place for me to stick my nose in.

I say keep it, since it really does allow a place to vent issues that very well might of bled into the other divisions of the boards. Buying a gun in New York is one thing...gun LAWS in New York are another. It's nice to have a place to isolate these seperate issues without risking a hemmoraging of the boards by a mixing of two elements that perhaps wouldn't play nice together.

Do I expect everyone to agree with me? No. Do I WANT them to? Hell no!! If we agreed on everything, then there wouldn't be innovation. It also allows a bit of a side of the members to show through (when there isn't the ruffled feathers going on) that increase the character of the board and it's members. I've been personally told by some that my presence here has actually changed their views when it comes to the term "Liberal" and the people who are attached to it. A bit heavy if you ask me, but at least it's showing that the enthusiasm of shooting isn't limited to a political view, and that's what the FFZ highlights.

Is it perfect? No. But, perhaps that's something that, as a group, we need to become better at. We're unlike any other forum on the net when it comes to gun owners. We're a varied, educated, and diverse group and I think the progressive format of this board only endorses it. Sure, a few elements as of late have caused speedbumps. But, these are events to learn from. Perhaps I need to key back a bit. Perhaps there needs to be more definition in a few issues. There's no black or white answer, but I think if we keep working on it....the betterment of the board overall will show.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the space!

Jarrod

12. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Thanks for keeping it Brief Neo :p

Actually your one of the ones who i think makes the FFZ worthwhile, your points are well thought and well written. They often offer a completely different point of view in a non threatening way.

If everyone could debate topics like Neo i think the FFZ would be a much more enjoyable place, in that scenario i think the whole forum would be up for mensa nominations. -O.O-

13. Funny thing, I haven't even looked at the HP specific sections of the forums in quite some time. I keep coming here to look at the other stuff like the free loading zone, lounge, caliber zone, other firearms, etc.

Heck, I haven't even shot any of my 3 HPs in about 4 months now.

Its winter and the outdoor range isn't fun during winter.

14. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Amen to that but there are some out here who really get carried away. Oh and Silverado [there is no possible way that jihadist muslims have anything to do w/ shutting down the FFZ so keep that crap outta here! ] Hmmm.... Remember dude, CAIR is watching you!! :wink: :lol:

15. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

I THINK WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

16. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

17. We're looking at an option that can keep the FFZ up and keep it somewhat civil in that particular forum.

18. One thing I find unique about HPFF is that since its a forum centered around an inexpensive gun, it gets a wider spectrum of fans from various political beliefs.

I'm a member of a lot of forums and the majority of gun forums are strongly conservative/liberal/libertarian in nature whereas this board has a better cross section of all political slants.

So the Free Fire Zone is more fun because of that, instead of being nothing but preaching to the choir, you can actually become educated in this board (even if you don't wan to be).

Its one of the reasons why I really like this place. People of all walks of life.

19. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

I know someone who set up that groups thing on another forum so they know how to do it. It was an online game called travian and our forum got infiltrated by a spy so they made groups to keep the spy out. turns out they were one of the top brass so the whole thing fell apart. but that would not be a problem here.

20. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I don't know, it seems that some mods take things more personally than the actual members who are debating things. While some people will occasionally let a rude comment slip in the heat of the moment, most of those debating understand that it's just frustration being vented, and that they are not actually attacking us personally.

There's an old saying; "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen." I think the people who are too sensitive to carry on a debate without getting their feelings hurt should stay out of the FFZ. And I believe that for the most part, they do.

I don't recall seeing any hate speech on the FFZ (aside from a few of Chefs comments perhaps), but maybe that's just the mods being REALLY good at what they do... :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.