Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my younger days the rifles I purchased were either used or milsurp. The first new commercial rifle I ever purchased was a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I was wonderfully short on theory then, and I honestly bought the cartridge because the hole in the barrel was large enough to drop a 30-30 cartridge into. Although my thing was flawed, it was a good decision and thus began my like of the 35 caliber rifle cartridges.

35 Remington. I know little of the history of this cartridge, except that it was used in the killing of Bonnie and Clyde. I did learn a lot about reloading and bullet performance with this cartridge though. First that short fat bullets do not perform well. I found that the 150 grain bullets did not perform well, giving poor penetration. I grew fond of the Speer 180 grain flat point bullet at around 2100 FPS. It worked well. The Hornady 200 grain round nose at between 1900 and 2000 FPS was a solid performer and at woods ranges took many deer for me. Rifle was a Marlin 336.

350 Remington Magnum. Another cartridge I know very little history of. But I do like the cartridge. A significant improvement over the 35Remington. The Speer 180 grain flat point bullet and IMR 4064 powder was my choice. At 2700 FPS the cartridge just knocked deer flat at woods ranges. The rifle was the Remington M600. (Another of my favorite rifles. Lost in the Great Fire of 99. Both the rifle and cartridge are obsolete, and I doubt they could be replaced today at anything resembling a reasonable price)

35 Whelen. Many think the Whalen was the creation of Townsend Whalen, but they would be wrong. In the 1920’s, gunsmith James Howe necked up the 30-06 to accept .358 bullets. He named the cartridge after Townsend Whelen. Using H335 powder my favorite 180 grain Speer flat point bullet can be pushed to almost 2900 feet per second. The 250 grain bullets can be loaded to velocities approaching 2400 FPS with the same bullet. The rifle is the H&R Handi Rifle.

357 Magnum. I am somewhat reluctant to list this, but I do own one and enjoy it, so it makes the cut. I am reminded of the picture of the dogs playing cards. The wondrous thing is the dogs can play cards. I look at the 357 as a deer cartridge the same way. The wondrous thing is that it can play. I like the Hornady 140 grain FTX bullet. With IMR 4227 powder I can push the bullet to almost 1900 FPS out of the Henry Single Shot rifle. Good for game up to the size of coyote, and I have used it at close range on deer to good effect. . I have tried 180 grain bullets but get poor expansion.

350 Legend. Another cartridge I almost did not include. This should of been called something like the 9mm Legend or the 9mm SuperExtraLong, but nevertheless it is a 35 caliber and it is a rifle cartridge. I have been loading this one with Lil’Gun powder and the Speer 180 grain flat point bullet. I puss these .358 bullets through a .356 sizing die. Velocities are around 2200 FPS. This is basically the equivalent to the 35 Remington. How could I not like it. Rifles are the AR and the Ruger American Ranch rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
I'd like to try a .350 Legend upper to see if I could take that recoil.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
hmmm...
I've been buying my 2 box limit at *C*D*MY of late, and 350L has been in stock.
The cool thing is that they are not gouging, prices are reasonable for right now.
AK Feed is 50c and AR feed is 60c. All steel cases, I'm fine with that.

Not sure about the 350L, did not even check prices. Should get me an upper for that,
it's an Indiana Deer cartridge.

I think the sweet spot is about 7mm with 6.5 just a gnats hair behind.
That right there is GOLD. Non-biased information from an experienced shooter/reloader.

Had to post this again, all these little articles are GOLD!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have to mentally slug it out with myself every deer season. I used to LOVE my .25-06 and still do but then there's my two .308s, my .30-06, my 45-70, my 6.5 creedmoor and my Ruger mini 30. Every one of them will kill a deer, and then there's my .44mag, 10mm and .45acp pistols along with the .22TCM and 5.7. It's REALLY hard to pick a favorite!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Currently I own a 35 rem, 358 win and a 35 whelen. Please give feedback, should I get a 358 norma?
Sure why not? You can always sell it if you don't decide to keep it. The only problem might be ammo. I went to Cabela's today and they only had a few boxes of some exotic rounds available (so there you might luck out).

·
Registered
364 Posts
A friend has a .350 Legend, and likes it a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've owned .22s, .223s, .38s, 12-gauges, and 9mms. But, besides a 22 rifle for small game, I only have 3 guns I need now.

For out to 25 yards:
.45 Springfield XD Service 4" with 13 and 16-round mags (13-round mag with 3-rd extension)
For out to 100 yards:
.45 Hi-Point carbine with 9 and 20-round Redball mags, and red dot.
For 100-800 yards:
.308 AR-10 with 20-round mags, scope and bipod

This helped consolidate my ammo stock to just .22s, .308s, and .45s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts