FBI releases report on mass shootings

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SWAGA, Sep 24, 2014.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

2. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I red somewhere that there is no data in the FBI report supporting the 20 deaths at Sandy Hook Elementary School

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's odd...it's right here, in that link.

"Among the incidents studied by the FBI for the report was the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, on December 14, 2012. Gunman Adam Lanza, 20, killed 20 children, ages 6 and 7, and six adults at the school before killing himself. Police later found the body of Lanza's mother at her home."

4. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

There was a chart of firearms deaths by city. The numbers for Newtown, Ct. were not there for 2012.

Attached Files:

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

From the article:
    So, news media, STOP FRIGG'N GOING ON ABOUT THESE DICKLESS NEBBISHES AND SHOWERING THEM WITH POSTHUMOUS FAME!!!!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. You should have left this double posted. Its worth reading twice

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm not one for "let's make a law!" crap, believing as I do that it usually doesn't have the intended result, only adds to the unnecessary complexity of our legal system, and frequently has undesirable unintended consequences.

However, I am seriously considering writing my congress critters and pushing them to introduce bills which would make it illegal for news outlets to add to the infamy of mass shooters by releasing their names or images as part of their news report.

It would have to be carefully crafted in order to protect freedom of speech, allow access by researchers, and other such landmines, but I'm tired of the news media being part of the problem. It seems akin to me, ethically speaking, to classic "yelling fire in a crowded theater" argument.

hmmm...

I'm going to have to think and pray about this, and seek input from trusted friends and advisers.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. harcdaddy

harcdaddy Member

Amen!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

10. I don't think you could do anything more than ask the news outlets not to run the details. Anything more is a foothold for more and more such regulations, until someday it gets far enough that it is illegal to publish polls that show a president (of a certain political leaning) has a poor favorability.