FBI spy planes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Back2School, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Back2School

Back2School Member

Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/02/politics/fbi-airplane-surveillance/

http://www.startribune.com/fbi-behind-mysterious-surveillance-aircraft-over-us-cities/305793361/

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/fbi-not-alone-in-operating-secret-spycraft/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/02/have-you-seen-an-unusually-low-plane-flying-in-your-city-recently-report-details-how-it-could-belong-to-fbi-surveillance-program/

Lastly, how to track them:
    http://fusion.net/story/143739/how-you-can-track-the-fbis-spy-planes/

Its amazing with all this money effort and time spent on surveillance and warrant-less searches, one would think the government could stop EVERYTHING bad from happening. Or you know - at least put out one instance where the government actually stopped something bad from happening.

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

They're flying cheap single engine aircraft.
    No different from the Highway Patrol using light aircraft to patrol interstates.
    About 10-15% of the cost of using a helicopter.
    You can't put enough equipment on small airplanes to do any sort of real data mining.
    At the most you can follow one individual.
    In the Deep South LE also uses light aircraft to spot moon shine stills or hidden pot farms.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Not that you really need to.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    The StarTribune link for the local Minneapolis/St.Paul paper artile has been on most viewed/emailed list since it broke last week. Seems that many, many people are concerned about use of the planes...

I have a friend who is a local filight instructor at one of the smaller local airports. They often see the planes as they take off, land and zip quickly into secure hangers.....

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

But they're OK with Google datamining them 1,000 times more.

Go figure.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It's a pain, but Google is escapable. We leave ourselves vulnerable to its data mining of our own will. We don't open ourselves to official data mining of our own will.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You volunteered to let Google take and publish satellite photos of your house? I didn't get that permission form.

We get data mined by EVERYONE.

Wal Mart, banks, cell phone carriers, Amazon, etc.

Pretty much any transaction or movement we make, now is data mined. You can't drive to the store and pay cash without being data mined now. Traffic cameras are now mining license plate movements, traffic estimation time "sensors" on the freeway mine you, and cell towers mine you.

It's gotten so big/good that corps can now match up a cash only transaction to you based on which items you purchase and what time of day/week you purchase them. Purchase, even once, using a bit of something (check or plastic) which ties back to you, and now they can track cash purchases back to you (and a small number of "similar" buyers) pretty reliably.

The floor plan for your house is online as well as how much you paid for it. The make, model, and color of your car is online. Truthfully, a savvy burglar wouldn't have to actually physically case your house in order to get a burglary plan, including which direction to approach and through which yards to run in order to escape. (good thing most burglars are lazy)

It's everywhere.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. Think1st

Florida
    Come on, Kirk! You didn't talk about all of that other stuff in your other post. You're getting as bad as rippy with that one.:p

But in all seriousness, Google is escapable, online, if we make some effort to do so. As far as their satellite imaging goes, I find that their usefulness exceeds any potential privacy intrusion. I use the images to plan navigation in built up areas before driving into them.

With regards to the rest of the data mining that goes on in stores, I think that they should have to give us a solid cut of any of our information that they sell. It is ours and ours alone. If we use personal information to effect transactions with them, we shouldn't legally be giving up our ownership of that information.

Floor plans and information about our vehicles, given the fact that the government keeps them for their own purposes, annoyingly enough, shouldn't be able to give them out to third parties. They might as well be handing out our social security numbers if they do that.

9. SO what you are saying is : It's okay to spy on me if i get something out of it."

I agree. Damnit FBI just throw me a bone every now and then and ill just tell you what you want. Some of that "confiscated cash" would do nicely. or, hell lower my taxes.

10. Think1st

Florida
    Google provides a lot of services that don't require us to pay anything to use them. Do you use Google to do your searches? Do you have Gmail? Do you use YouTube? Do you have a Droid phone? You use there stuff every day. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch (TANSTAAFL). The cost is your information. Quit using their products if you don't want your information mined. Otherwise, there is no reason to complain.

As far as government surveillance goes, your second paragraph had nothing to do with what I said. Don't make ridiculous leaps.

11. Relax, it was a joke... way to kill it.

12. Think1st

Florida
    Will this make it better?

Attached Files:

13. Perfect point and so true!

14. Actually though Google is inescapable, anonymity in-spite of them is very easy to achieve.
    Linux, a browser set to clear all data each time you close it, not accepting cookies, and using a proxy server makes you darn near untraceable in the interwebs.

Proxies like the Tors network frustrate the feds beyond belief.

All free and easy to setup.

15. Think1st

Florida
    I definitely need to look into proxie servers and VPNs. Those seem like a good idea to avoid the data miners.

16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Be a perfect spot for a cell phone sting box and they are not big at all, airborne 4g connection in big cities gives high speed data access from anywhere... yes they could do a lot of data mining from a plane. Add in hack peoples wifi...

17. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Very much doubt they have the floor plan of my 120 year old house...

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Add ghostery and adblock plus to Firefox and have total control over what tracking is allowed.

19. My using Tor got me suspended from Gun Broker. I'd bought a Free Chex thru GB. A few days latter got an email from GB that I had a message from their support and to sign-in and read it.

I signed in and the message was that I been signing in thru TOR and if I did it again I'd be suspended. Signing in thru TOR to read that message got me suspended.