Fed Gov't Funds 'Truthy' Database to Monitor Hate Speech, Suspicious Memes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Aug 28, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/08/28/federal-govt-funds-truthy-database-monitor-hate-speech-suspicious-memes

The federal government is spending close to $1 million of your money on an online tracking program that will supposedly search for so-called “hate speech” or “misinformation” on Twitter.

On Fox and Friends, Fox News legal analyst Peter Johnson Jr. brought us more details on the “Truthy” database, which intends to monitor suspicious Internet memes as well as false or misleading ideas spreading around social media.

Johnson Jr. laid out the plans for the project according to the grant abstract from the National Science Foundation, which will finance the research by Indiana University

But they've actually come up with a whole algorithm to show how they plan to locate so-called hateful, subversive and misleading "propaganda."

The Indiana professor who is leading the project, Filippo Menczer, had previously identified a list of hashtags that he believed fell under the categories of "far right" and "polarizing."

Among those that he listed were #foxnews, #constitution and #israel.

ounds a little Orwellian, no? Johnson Jr. noted that this effort reminds him of Joe McCarthy's hunt for Communists.

But the university says the "Truthy" project "is not informed by political partisanship" and its algorithms don't take politics into account. In a new blog post, Menczer maintained that the database is not meant to suppress free speech and does not track "hate speech."

Johnson countered that Menczer's explanation of "Truthy" does not line up with the information that was given to the federal government.

Meantime, the Washington Free Beacon points out that Menczer, on his personal website, proclaims his support for numerous progressive groups, including President Obama’s Organizing for Action, Moveon.org, Greenpeace, the Sierra Club, Amnesty International, and True Majority.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

No...... Surely not.....

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'm working on the IU campus right now.
    I helped put in a huge Data Center a few years ago, which was to be filled with servers. The areas for servers were bigger than a basketball court, and there were 3 of them. HUGE! So this is how they make money with that computing power...

4. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Isn't Flippo one of the Marx brothers?

5. Actually not that big. The place I worked in Japan was maybe twice the size you described, all filled with servers. And there's...dang, maybe a few hundred of those locations around the world, some even bigger.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It simply blows my mind that they can say it's not political, and do it with a straight face.:rolleyes:

Total liberal scum, IMHO.:cool:

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Well if all you right wingers would tone it down a little on the hate speech, paranoia and conspiracies it wouldn't have been necessary....;)

8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

It's the only way we can keep liberals off of gun rights long enough to gain ground!

9. SWAGA

Better watch it, an armed liberal is a dangerous liberal......:)

* dang nabbit, just got myself on the gubberment database *

10. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Weren't You were already there as an informant, neh?

;)

eldar

11. SWAGA

No as a moderator.......:cool:.......lol

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  12. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

It's because I'm white, isn't it, you racist bastard.

13. Kiln

Kiln Member

Definitely, because most armed libs are government lackeys that believe only the government should have guns.

14. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    My guess, Facebook is #1 on their agenda.

15. bws

bws Member

ok that one brought tears...my side hurts... medic...

16. SWAGA

I think this may qualify

[​IMG]

:D

17. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

It has a +5 healing ability

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have a buddy who calls his martial arts stick fighting nights, "magic wellness stick night.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

19. SWAGA

20. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

the way our schools seem to be going, I see this happening in less than 5 years from now. Wonder if they threw a flashbang in there before they stormed the bus