Federal aluminum case ammo

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Paco, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Anybody have some feedback on their experience with Fed aluminum case 115 gr fmj with their 995TS?

2. It works fine. Not reloadable. I won't buy it for that reason.

3. wingman

wingman Member

I have had no problems with the Federal aluminum cased ammo. I LOVE the price!

4. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I've fired several hundred rounds, mostly in handguns...some in my 995TS. Worked OK.

On one forum someone said it probably wasn't good to use aluminum in a blowback design based firearm. The rational was that the aluminum isn't as strong as brass and in a blowback system, the empty case isn't supported as long as in a locked breech system.

Don't remember if it was here on on another forum, but people have reported that they have been able to reload the Federal aluminum cases.

I don't know if reloading them is a good idea or not. I do know that you can hand me two full mags, one with brass and the other with aluminum and I can definitely tell you which is holding aluminum without looking...

5. bluharley

bluharley Member

I save $5 a box, work for me.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Works fine in most cases. I've used Federal Aluminum cased JHP in my antique/surplus Astra 400 chambered in 9mm Largo, which is a blowback operated gun. Worked fine. No issues.

Dedicated reloaders often reload for different reasons. Some are just looking for any way possible to reduce cost and others just like to tinker and see what they can achieve. Either group will have some who will attempt (and likely succeed) in reloading both aluminum and steel cases. Heck, there are some who have successfully "reloaded" primer cups just to prove that they can do it (and, hypothetically, for a Mad Max EOTW scenario).

Aluminum doesn't have the same ductility as brass. Nothing has the same ductility as brass except for brass. Thus, aluminum (and anything else not brass) will seal the chamber differently than brass. It will expand at a different rate, slip or bind on the chamber wall under pressure differently, and contract at different rates to different percentages of original pre-fired dimensions.

The vast majority of the time, these differences are minute but, over time, it can make a difference. Sometimes the differences are as small as more or less fouling from hot gasses in the chamber and in/on other surfaces, which may or may not affect case extraction and performance over a firing session. Sometimes the differences can be very important such as hot gas "cutting" and wear in important areas such as at the chamber shoulder which can affect long term longevity of the firearm.

But, for the most part, the effects are minor and mostly won't affect the average shooter.

Just shoot what your gun "likes."

Also, understand that some manufacturers specifically recommend against the use of aluminum or steel cased ammunition in all or some of their firearms. The Kel Tec Sub200, for instance, has a specific warning against using steel and aluminum cases due to specific kinds of malfunction and wear which the manufacturer has noted.

On the other hand, certain firearms were designed specifically with the intention of using steel cased ammunition. Most of the 9x18 Makarov caliber guns, for instance, were designed to use Soviet steel cased ammunition and you can look at the beefy extractor and note that it's different, heavier, than on most other guns.

Like I wrote, just shoot what your gun likes. Running one box of aluminum cased ammo through almost any gun is unlikely in the extreme to "hurt" it in any particular way. If your gun "likes" it, you may consider whether or not the remote possibility of slightly accelerated wear on the firearm and non-reloadability of the aluminum cases are worth it to you for the cheaper price of the ammunition. Sometimes it may be, and sometimes not.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. ItBeMe

ItBeMe Member

I shoot the crap out of it, works great. and I like the price.:)

8. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Now Kirk you have told me why the casings look so dirty when they come out of the guns. It may be more prevalent on my .40 Glocks. I shot a bunch yesterday in the 4595, JHP45, Shield9, Ruger P90 (.45) and Glock 27 (.40)

9. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

I used it in a 995ts it ran fine for about 100 rounds but then when trying to eject a live round the round wouldn't extract so I fired it and it extracted

10. hp995tsfg

hp995tsfg Member

I have used it and still have about 300 rounds, I might save it for SHTF barter ammo. I might be able to trade a box for a T bone and a beer.
    Overall I don't trust it for serious shooting and have had a few case issues.

11. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Al has a slightly higher expansion coefficient than Brass. Other than that, it should cause no problems.

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

I am curious, what were those failures?

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Blu, if the savings is that great, Awesome! But I have been stacking the dog-poo outta the perFecta brass ammo @ wally's. It is just $1 more for 50 and has a great reputation in the 9mm at least. I also bought 1 box of the 45 ACP perFecta brass to test in the, well, 45s I own :D I will test in the 1911 and the S&W 457, and if there are any left, the 4595 will get some!

Thanks for that data point, HP995TSFG! It would help to know what gun had trouble, especially if you tested it in numerous weapons.

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    I plan on stacking some Federal Aluminum once the perFecta is not on sale any more.

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

I am willing to bet that price is set in stone 'til the next terror attack, or barry burps. :rofl:

16. bluharley

bluharley Member

When I got the Federal, there was no Perfeta. Now, I don't see Federal, but lots of Perfecta. Next purchase will be perfecta!

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    Well, the current price is a red-tag "rollback" and the clerk I see most said he is looking for it to end eventually... :(

I have not shot any yet, but my gunny bought some t the same time and he said it is great! I will shoot the 45 ACP first. He tested the 9mm and I will test the 45, we may flip a coin for the 40 S&W :D

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

I got 3 9's, 2 40's, and 1 45 all ammmoooooooleenum today. $93 OTD. I need to stay out of that department.

19. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Brass is probably only a $1 more.

20. TNTRAILERTRASH

$1 for the 9's. I didn't look at the .40's and .45's for price comparison. Now if they only made .223's in amoooleenum!