Federal HST 147 gr. in the 995

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Dr. Fresh, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Guest

Has anyone used these in their carbine? How reliable are they? I'm planning on carrying them in my sidearm (just as soon as I buy the thing) and I'd like to be able to use them in my carbine as well.

2. C5sam

C5sam Member

The FBI used them in issue sidearms [147 grain hydrashock] for a while and found them too slow to expand in the real world.Over penetration without the killing power of lighter bullets. I never was a fan of subsonic ammo in any caliber. Probably would be ok in a carbine. If I ever feel the need to reload 9mm, I might experiment with a + load of slower burning than factory powder, like Hogdon 110.I have made some flat nasty 44magnums using 180 grain JHP and compressed loads of Hogdon 110, just under 2200 fps out of my 1894s, 20" barrel.Never got up the nerve to try them in my 5.5" Vaquero. I believe a silvertip in 124 grain would be a wiser choice in a sidearm, or almost any of the premium hollowpoints available in 9mm in lighter bullet weights.

3. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Guest

Thanks for the advice. I've read pages and pages of debate about 9mm bullet weights. I'll try several types, but from what I have read, the 147-gr rounds are very good man-stoppers.

But my real question is, will a 147-gr round cycle and feed properly in a 995?

4. Thorn 242

Thorn 242 Well-Known Member

I have fired the wwb 147 gr. subs in mine....did ok didnt bobble at all...actually fed better than the 115s did

5. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Guest

Really? That's good news. I guess the only way to really find out is to try it, but it's always nice to know my carry piece and the carbine will fire the same ammo.

That is, if Hi-Point ever gives it back.

6. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

Ive read in more than one place to stay away from 147gr 9mms, specifically for the reason C5sam stated (not fast enough to expand properly). I will stick to 115 and 124gr personally, unless of course I find some big bargain box full of 147gr bullets at half price, heh.

7. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Guest

From what I've read, 147s got a bad rap when they were first introduced, but since then (it was a long time ago), the problems have been solved. In other words, the data people cite that say 147s are bad is outdated.

8. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

Hmm. Well shows what I know, eh?

Either way, Ill be buying whatever is cheapest, hah.

9. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I use Winchester Silvertips 147 gr in my duty weapon [C9] They have worked for me and untill I get a 40 cal side arm I will continue to

10. C5sam

C5sam Member

In actual gel tests frangible bullets like magsafe or glaser are far more deadly than any commercial round including +p in any weight. They literally explode on impact leaving a 2.1" x 5" hole in the victim. FBI records substantiate these tests. http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/9mm/gel9.htm I have glasers loaded in every center fire self defense weapon I own. Plus they won't penetrate walls and accidently kill one of my neighbors.

11. I have shot 147hp's winchester out of my 995. They worked great, But are expensive to shoot.