Final answer to CA legality

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Ridge, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Ridge

Ridge Member

2. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    As an added bonus, we know that eboydell is a douche :D

3. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Guest

No semi auto rifle or carbine is legal if the magazines are removable, regardless of the # of bullets they hold.The OLL Ar-15s are sold for their evil black looks only.The magazines must be permanently held in place, usually with a screw. The hi-point carbines would have to be redesigned to meet California regulations.

4. vallen

vallen Member

+1 he's an uber-douche

5. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Guest

Funny mine will shoot sub 2" groups at 50yds, outshot my buddies 40sw Beretta Storm at 1/2 the cost.[​IMG]

6. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    I'd bet it doesn't jam, and has a lifetime no questions asked warranty too.
    Must be crap. :roll: Lash, sell that thing to some sucker ASAP! or use it for a boat anchor... friggin window lickin gunsnobs.

7. CWatson

CWatson Member

Wrong. I own and still can buy semi autos rifles with detachable mags inclueding OLL AR and AK style rifles at several gunstores in CA. They can not have flash hiders or pistol grips if they have detachable mags. For OLLs the best method for me is the Monsterman grip [http://www.monstermangrip.com/] though others have gone fixed mag or "bullet buttons".

Someone was offering Hip-Point carbines for sell to CA folks on the Calguns site [http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php] converted with the bullet button to make them legal here. I personally do not like the BB method and since the mag goes in the grip on a Hi Point it is not a design that can be made "gripless" like ARs or AKs so I did not get one.

CW

8. Wierd im from cali and thats where my family is and as far as I know when they lifted the assualt rifle ban it became legal to own an assault rifle. I will have to chat with my father on this as he is a lawyer but he has always had assault rifles when I was growing up and I know he still does now. I honestly dont know why you could not buy a hi-point carbine.

9. CWatson

CWatson Member

CA has it's own AW ban besides the Federal one that sunseted. If your dad owned some before the ban and registered them as per law as AWs he would be allowed to keep them legally. The only way to get a AR or AK style rifle in CA now is if you go gripless, Monsterman grip with no flash hider ect OR fix the mag OR use a bullet button. The Hi-Point carbine is a NO NO because it has a detachable mag AND a pistol grip and since the mag is in the grip it is kind of hard to do away with the grip unless you are comfortable with a bullet button .

The best thing Hi-Point could do for us Cali guys is to make a carbine with a rifle type grip/stock that took Glock mags since everyone I know stocked up on Glock mags before the 10 round limit was imposed.

CW

10. Decoligny

Decoligny Member

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
    (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine AND ANY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
    (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    (B) A thumbhole stock.
    (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    (E) A flash suppressor.
    (F) A forward pistol grip.
    (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
    (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
    (4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
    (B) A second handgrip.
    (C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
    (D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
    (5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
    (6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
    (A) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
    (7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
    (8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
    (b) The Legislature finds a significant public purpose in exempting pistols that are designed expressly for use in Olympic target shooting events. Therefore, those pistols that are sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee and by USA Shooting, the national governing body for international shooting competition in the United States, and that are used for Olympic target shooting purposes at the time the act adding this subdivision is enacted, and that would otherwise fall within the definition of "assault weapon" pursuant to this section are exempt, as provided in subdivision (c).
    (c) "Assault weapon" does not include either of the following:
    (1) Any antique firearm.
    (2) Any of the following pistols, because they are consistent with the significant public purpose expressed in subdivision (b):
    MANUFACTURER MODEL CALIBER
    BENELLI MP90 .22LR
    BENELLI MP90 .32 S&W LONG
    BENELLI MP95 .22LR
    BENELLI MP95 .32 S&W LONG
    HAMMERLI 280 .22LR
    HAMMERLI 280 .32 S&W LONG
    HAMMERLI SP20 .22LR
    HAMMERLI SP20 .32 S&W LONG
    PARDINI GPO .22 SHORT
    PARDINI GP-SCHUMANN .22 SHORT
    PARDINI HP .32 S&W LONG
    PARDINI MP .32 S&W LONG
    PARDINI SP .22LR
    PARDINI SPE .22LR
    WALTHER GSP .22LR
    WALTHER GSP .32 S&W LONG
    WALTHER OSP .22 SHORT
    WALTHER OSP-2000 .22 SHORT

(3) The Department of Justice shall create a program that is consistent with the purposes stated in subdivision (b) to exempt new models of competitive pistols that would otherwise fall within the definition of "assault weapon" pursuant to this section from being classified as an assault weapon. The exempt competitive pistols may be based on recommendations by USA Shooting consistent with the regulations contained in the USA Shooting Official Rules or may be based on the recommendation or rules of any other organization that the department deems relevant.
    (d) The following definitions shall apply under this section:
    (1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.
    (2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
    (3) "Antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured prior to January 1, 1899.
    (e) This section shall become operative January 1, 2000.

11. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Guest

I thought bullet buttons were still "gray area". It's not exactly illegal, but it's not exactly legal either. Has there been any rulings on this yet?