Final Touch

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by bayoukeith84, Feb 2, 2016.

1. bayoukeith84

bayoukeith84 Member

At this point I've done almost everything to my 380 possible and when I get back from Afghanistan I will be getting new custom grips from Thing Meister. I love my HP and when I'm in the states it goes everywhere I go legally. The only problem is the rear sight.... From what I've read and heard from others is the Mahan sight is no longer in production and more than likely not coming back :(
    So... Who wants to make some money? Willing to pay double for the sight to complete my 380 project!! PLEASE HELP

2. thingmeister

thingmeister Member

Were you able to get a hold of him definitively?

3. Bigern

Bigern Member

I would like one too, tried the website but I think it's a no go :(

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    MACH-0 Mel has insider info... :eek:

5. Bigern

Bigern Member

Cough it up Macho lol!

6. undeRGRound

INDY
    :welcome:bayoukeith84!!!
    Hope you get your Mahan Sights, ASAP!

HURRY BACK!!!

Attached Files:

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    PS: Contact RACHGIER or Austin (admins) for a Vet
    "supporting membership" and join us in the Dark Rooms!

8. gumby1958

gumby1958 Member

here is my negactivew review of the Thing Meister Grips i Got

The Thing Meister website where the grips can be ordered that I am here warning against purchasing is: http://thingmeister.yolasite.com/products.php The man's name is Warner Lane according to his email he responds with

The reasons for my negative review & recommendation is that the features on the back sides of the grips are not complete, resulting in non-functional or malfunctioning features on my C9. #1 not properly elevated or are missing so that the safety falls out of safe position and rattles,#2 For instance With these grips installed, the weapon will fire without a magazine in it, which is not how the pistol is designed is designed. I've checked with the hi-point manufacturer and have confirmed that the current issues with my 9mm C9 are due to improperly designed grips. Also I since writing this I have added the missing features to my Thing Meister grips, which has alleviated the malfunctions mentioned above

I used JB Weld and a spring to the back side of them to correct thefiring without a mag issue. Then I added JB weld material and carved features in the JB Weld to indent properly into the safety and keep it from spontaneously slipping out. The thing Meisters's "design to prevent this seems to be leaving too much corner material at the top of the notch where the safety goes into. But repeated uses of the safety seems to wear out that corner and then the safety become very loose and sloppy all the way through it's travel.

But there is more wrong with these grips than that.

I ordered "premium" ebony wood grips and there was a suspicious line running across the upper third of both grips perpendicular to all other milling lines on the backs of the grips, Those lines when examined through my high resolution photography turned out to be 45 degree butt joints where the little tiny pieces of wood used for my little grips HAD BEEN JOINED IN TWO PIECES AT A 45 degree angle! these joints opened up on the finished sidses of the grips.

So I wrote him about it and he asked me to send the pictures. So I did and did not offer any additional explanation other than arrows to the joint on the front and back side because it is plainly evident that on both grips there is a man-made joint that any experienced any wood worker could immediately identify as such.

So he replied that he sees the "cracks" (which are joints that are cracking, not cracks from over-tightening. and said that I must have over tightened them, which angered me. He didn't even apologize or seem to even have even scrutinized the photographs very much that I had sent. So I replied, he was trying "to weasel out" of responsibility for the shoddy product.

Before that, he had replied that he assured (me) that the grips were made of one piece of wood, not jointed wood. So I kept asking him what accounted for the joints and his poor response blaming me and the fact that there is a recessed shoulder behind the screw holes in the grips and a raised, like profiled shoulders in the grips to accept the screws which precludes them from being over-tightened and also that if the screws are not tightened all the way down to the point of stripping out the frame, the various functions of the pistol that are dependent on the grips being tight on the frame, SUCH AS RELEASE OF THE FIRING PIN, DO NOT WORK.

He actually said very little in this exchange other than assuring me of the one wood piece construction that was not true and that I must have over tightened the screws which is impossible. But believe me, for $113 for grips missing features and being made out of 4 pieces of wood, I had had PLENTY to say to him during the email exchange.

Mr. Lane did provide a full refund, let me keep the grips and asked to see pictures of my improvements, which I obliged. He also stated he would try to incorporate my additions into his grips.

he politely requested photos of my work after I wrote this

"I just finished manufacturing additions onto your incomplete grips and now my safety works correctly, does not rattle around and fall out of lock and my pistol doesn't fire with the magazine out because I shaved down one side of the too short wood projection you put where the spring is supposed to go. But I had to shorten the spring slowly by about half because it was way too tall for your grip.

I did not take pictures before assembling it but it took 2 days for the JB weld to dry and carving and filing the additional material into the tiny tabs on the factory grips THAT ARE NOT ON YOUR GRIPS.

So I am writing to tell you how I've improved your work and ask if you would like me to disassemble the grips again and take pictures of my work to SHOW YOU HOW Hi-Point custom grips ARE SUPPOSED TO LOOK?"

Attached Files:

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    OK, so you got a full refund, after some questions and answers...
    Plus, you kept the grips. I don't see a problem, other than the joint.
    Thing BUYS the wood, he does not make it out of a tree, himself.

What more do you want? My grips are FULL of "joints"... :p

...cuz I ordered laminate grips. They are Great!

10. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Maybe a site should go up for bidding as it is rare now? Kinda like a Joey keychain! :rolleyes: