Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after much searching and turning down several options, I found a 1984 Ford F250 that was being sold for $500, hardly anything wrong with it, just because the guy is now in a wheelchair and can't drive it any longer. It has a 351 Windsor and is real strong running. Only thing is it's a 4 spd manual transmission, so I'm just now learning how to drive a stick, and this is a big rig to be learning how to drive stick in. I'm slowly getting the hang of it though, and once I get that down, I'll be set with a real strong runner for dump runs, hauling things, etc. Thinking about getting a camper, either trailer pulled or the kind that fits into the bed, as it's got more than enough power to haul anything I want to put on it.

Check it out:

http://david.gullickson.googlepages.com/1984fordf250

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Congratulations on the new pickup. Just be sure you're never without one, you'll hate it. You seem concerned about learning to drive a stick; don't worry, you'll learn just fine and it will become natural for you.

So, after much searching and turning down several options, I found a 1984 Ford F250 that was being sold for $500, hardly anything wrong with it, just because the guy is now in a wheelchair and can't drive it any longer. It has a 351 Windsor and is real strong running. Only thing is it's a 4 spd manual transmission, so I'm just now learning how to drive a stick, and this is a big rig to be learning how to drive stick in. I'm slowly getting the hang of it though, and once I get that down, I'll be set with a real strong runner for dump runs, hauling things, etc. Thinking about getting a camper, either trailer pulled or the kind that fits into the bed, as it's got more than enough power to haul anything I want to put on it.

Check it out:

http://david.gullickson.googlepages.com/1984fordf250

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
You running open headers on that thing or what? It's LOUD... could barely hear the radio...
I got a 94 F150 this past December, and I love it... Automatic tranny, Autolocking hubs, 302 v8, XLT model.
Do you have any plans for it? is it a 2 spinner or 4 spinner? how many miles does it have?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Man... you just don't find deals like that here in Phoenix. Then again, EVERYTHING is more expensive here... until you get to LA :cantlook:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No clue honestly. The radio wasn't up that loud and only one speaker works. It doesn't seem horribly loud in person compared to other Ford V8s I've heard. All I know is it runs good, and that's what matters to me. :D

It's a 2WD, got about 166K on it. Needs a new air filter, oil change, small stuff like that. Noticed something weird where the turn signals and heater fan won't work until it gets warmed up....dunno what the deal is with that one. But once it warms up a bit, everything works fine.

With regards to the manual trans., I am.....nervous, I'd say. Just cause people around here don't care about you having a stick, they'll sit right on your bumper....don't want to roll back into someone or end up hitting someone cause I couldn't get the thing into gear or whatever. I'm sure I'll get it, but until I do, I'm gonna be nervous about it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
No clue honestly. The radio wasn't up that loud and only one speaker works. It doesn't seem horribly loud in person compared to other Ford V8s I've heard. All I know is it runs good, and that's what matters to me. :D

It's a 2WD, got about 166K on it. Needs a new air filter, oil change, small stuff like that. Noticed something weird where the turn signals and heater fan won't work until it gets warmed up....dunno what the deal is with that one. But once it warms up a bit, everything works fine.

With regards to the manual trans., I am.....nervous, I'd say. Just cause people around here don't care about you having a stick, they'll sit right on your bumper....don't want to roll back into someone or end up hitting someone cause I couldn't get the thing into gear or whatever. I'm sure I'll get it, but until I do, I'm gonna be nervous about it.
It's easy!! Just think of driving the stickshift as playing a musical insturment such as a guitar, drum set or piano. You essentially have two different beats going on, and you have to sync them. It's all a matter of timing, and the nice part is that if the machine is running decent enough, you can always trust on those timings. You'll get it soon enough :D

As for the turn indicators and the heater fan, perhaps it's a bad relay set? Autosurgeon would be the one to ask on this one.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Nice find dude. I'd love to have a beater truck.

As for driving stick, just practice with your clutch pedal so that you learn when it starts to grip. Usually you can find this by sloooowly releasing the clutch pedal (while stationary and on the brakes) and checking to see when the engine RPM drops slightly. At this point you can begin to let off the brakes and continue to engage the clutch without rolling backwards. Or you can roll backwards into a $80,000 Lexus and shrug your shoulders because he shouldn't have been so close to you. It's not like your truck is going to need a $500 paint job after that. :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
At this point you can begin to let off the brakes and continue to engage the clutch without rolling backwards.
Disengage not engage. If you engage the clutch you will not go any where.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
At this point you can begin to let off the brakes and continue to engage the clutch without rolling backwards.
PWNED!

I had a stick in my S10 Blazer, I only used the clutch to start moving... then I would just let off the gas while applying pressure to the stick to get it out of 1st, and the tranny would sync with the engine, and it would slide right into 2nd... you'd think you were riding in an automatic the way I would shift.
Downshifting to slow down was my favorite thing to do in that little chevy.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Engaged = clutch plates touching
Disengaged = not touching

Quoth the wikipedia article: "No pressure on the pedal means that the clutch plates are engaged (driving), while pressing the pedal disengages the clutch plates, allowing the driver to shift gears or coast."

It's retarded because you engage/push the pedal to disengage the clutch, and vice versa. Somebody should have come up with a better set of terminology for that. That may actually be the hardest thing to explain to somebody when teaching them to drive stick.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
wow, everyone I know has been saying it wrong... I must go tell them how retarded they are... BRB

·
Registered
168 Posts
Engaged = clutch plates touching
Disengaged = not touching

Quoth the wikipedia article: "No pressure on the pedal means that the clutch plates are engaged (driving), while pressing the pedal disengages the clutch plates, allowing the driver to shift gears or coast."

It's retarded because you engage/push the pedal to disengage the clutch, and vice versa. Somebody should have come up with a better set of terminology for that. That may actually be the hardest thing to explain to somebody when teaching them to drive stick.
This is true wikipedia is correct. When the clutch disk are engaged with the fly wheel the clutch is disengaged.

G

·
Idling a bit high?
Dont worry about getting used to driving a stick. Stall it out a few times, then the Ruump Ruump Ruuump of bouncing off the accelerator: you will finally get used to it. To the point, you dont even think about it. Not only that, you learn on an old huge by large truck like that: anything else you get in and drive with manual shift will be easy as pie.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Or you can roll backwards into a $80,000 Lexus and shrug your shoulders because he shouldn't have been so close to you. It's not like your truck is going to need a $500 paint job after that. :p
Great find! The engine and transmission alone are worth that!!

As for driving a stick, the great thing about people snuggling up to you at a stop on a hill is that it limits the distance you roll back.

Just kidding! :angel:

You'll get the hang of it. I drive a standard every day now and don't think a thing about stopping on a hill any more. When my son was 15 or so, I taught him to drive my car and I know that hills were his biggest enemy at the time but with some practice, he quickly overcame the fear.

Again, great find! It looks nicely broken in so you don't have to worry about that Lexus leaving a scar! :D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
You ll get the hang of a standard pretty quick. I prefer them myself.

Heck man for 500$! Drive the wheels off the thing. lol great find.

I almost bought a mi-80s f-150 for 300$. All it needed was a new tank. But when I finally caught the guy to ask he said he decided to keep it (after it being in his yard for sale for months) and replace the tank just to keep around. DRAT! :cantlook:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was idling a bit high, was still warming up. Was going to go out and get some more practice in, and I look out my window to see snow on the ground and more falling. WTF? It's the middle of freaking MARCH!!! I'm still trying to decide if I'm adventurous enough to try driving this rig out in the snow right now. :tongue2:

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
stay out of the snow in that rig...
-big engine
-newbie to sticks
-less than favorable traction
all equals you slapping someone or something with the ass-end of that thing.

Idling high? press the gas pedal until it starts to rev, then back off... it'll settle her down.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Noticed something weird where the turn signals and heater fan won't work until it gets warmed up....dunno what the deal is with that one. But once it warms up a bit, everything works fine.
You need a new ignition switch my friend. Both of those items are fed from the same wire Grey w Yellow stripe. The wire in question feeds the fuses for the blower motor and the turn signals/brake lights.

To repair just replace the ignition switch making sure that you adjust it correctly and walla no more problems with signals or blower motor!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Congratulations on the find. All this talk about a manual transmission got me thinking. Not to hijack this thread but how many here remember driving a "three on the tree"?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Congratulations on the find. All this talk about a manual transmission got me thinking. Not to hijack this thread but how many here remember driving a "three on the tree"?
:D Yup! I had a '76 Dodge beater in the late '80s with three on the tree. I didn't keep it long (traded it off) but it was fun to try something new for a little while.

I hadn't thought about that thing in years!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.