Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally picked up my mosin nagant . it's an all matching numbers izhevsk from 1943 . luckily for me they went pretty light on the cosmo on this one . an hour or two with some q-tips and a destroyed pair of jeans cut into rags had it pretty clean , it all just wiped off like oil . i was expecting it to be a much harder task . i still need to clean the bore but i need to go pick up some gun cleaning stuff first . i wanted to keep it original looking as possible so instead of stripping the stock i hit it with some murphys soap oil which seems to have worked . the stock doesn't feel greasy at all now . but i'm wondering if i should hit it with some gun wax or something , but i wasn't sure if i had just removed the outer layer of cosmo and more will leech out of it in a few days . all and all i got it pretty clean , the action is very smooth now . anyone have any suggestions as to wether i should wax it or not ? and it's completely dry now , what all should i oil ?

....oh , and here's some pics !

·
Registered
735 Posts
nice i just got my first one last week can,t wait to shoot it, i remember when i first saw them i thought i will never get one of thoses, then it seemed like everyone has em, so i said if you can,t beat em.....join em. you got to get the nagant pistol now, i have both great guns.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just finished cleaning off the little extras that came with it . the oil bottle was encased in a brick of cosmoline . i took it in the shower with me since i had a fair amount of cosmoline to remove from myself , we're both clean now :D .

·
Premium Member
86 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Nice looking rifle!! I can't WAIT until I get my C&R!!! Every time I see pics like these it makes me want to pick up a 91/30 and a M38 to give my M44 some friends :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
at least i didn't take pictures
And you have my heartfelt appreciation for that! I'm still waiting for one of my grandkids to stop by so I can post pics of my newest addition to the gun safe, thankfully, the one I bought needed very little cosmo cleaned off of it. I still have yet to hit the range with it, I think I'm waiting till I get a butt pad for it first though, both my shoulders likely need rotator cuff operations anyway as much as they hurt without a big recoil slap.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
Your gun looks to have a hardwood stock that originally carried a oil only finish, the shellac that is on there now was applied after the war during the arsenal refurb programs. If you want to leave it as is then just clean it as you did and leave it alone. if you want it original then you need to strip the shellac off and apply a handrubbed finish of multiple coats of BLO or tung oil. I have done about 20 or so Mosins in the last year and all have turned out perfect, some with a new shellac and most with an oil finish. shellac was only used on mosins beginning in the last couple of months of 1943 and even then it was used only on laminate stocks. after the end of the war they started refurbing all stocks for storage with sometimes ineptly applied shellac'd stocks.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
krippp , since you've done so many of these , i used the soap oil to get the cosmo off the stock , but i'm wondering if more will leech out or if i should just go ahead and wax it . oh , and by keeping it original i mean keeping it how it came out of the crate minus the cosmoline . it has that went thru a world war look to it which is nice .

·
Registered
435 Posts
Your gun looks to have a hardwood stock that originally carried a oil only finish, the shellac that is on there now was applied after the war during the arsenal refurb programs. If you want to leave it as is then just clean it as you did and leave it alone. if you want it original then you need to strip the shellac off and apply a handrubbed finish of multiple coats of BLO or tung oil. I have done about 20 or so Mosins in the last year and all have turned out perfect, some with a new shellac and most with an oil finish. shellac was only used on mosins beginning in the last couple of months of 1943 and even then it was used only on laminate stocks. after the end of the war they started refurbing all stocks for storage with sometimes ineptly applied shellac'd stocks.
Funny, I did not know that. I had thought that the original finishes were indeed shellac. Hmmmm....this may change things a bit.
I've done one 91/30 clean up on my sons rifle. The shellac was peeling off sumthin fierce, so he decided that he wanted it stripped and refinished. I stripped the old shellac with DA (worked extremely well) and gave it a really light rub with 0000 steel wool, but not enough to damage any of the stampings. I refinished with a light hued shellac. It came out blonde, but really nice looking. Felt better as well. You can see it in my Youtube vid:

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
if the shellac isn't flaked off then most of the cosmoline will not have seaped into the wood, a good way to tell is to take the butt plate off and examine the wood for signs that the cosmoline has leeched into it or not. what I meant by refinishing is that you don't remove the dents or dings in it, no, you certainly leave all that alone but you just change the finish. I would never dream of sanding on one of my wartime stocks, hell, if I'd wanted a perfect stock then I'd have bought a new gun. I love the look of a gun that you know has seen the gates of hell before and survived.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well the shellac is only missing in a few tiny spots (mainly from the bands being slid on and off ) , and it's only down to the bare wood in one or two very tiny spots . thats why i was going to hit it with some wax , the bare wood i do see looks just fine , i don't think there was any more than a very thin coating of cosmo on this stock , aside from looking like it went thru a war it's in really good shape . i figured the wax would cover up any of the questionable areas and protect it incase i decide to refinish later .

1 - 20 of 47 Posts