Finally got them shot!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Grizzfan, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Well I've owned the C9, .40 and .45 Cal since July and August last year and finally got to the range.

The .45 and C9 fired flawlessly. Only put about 3 mags throug them as was shooting with another fellow and we were constantly checking targets. The .40 Cal hung up on the last two rounds on 2 mags out of 3. WWB Ammo. Not sure what this was all about. Any thoughts?

My friend had a new C9 and had trouble chambering the first round as the receiver slide would not go forward. Any thoughts here?

Accuracy was acceptable at 15 and 25 yards.

Did notice on the .45 cal Aguila (made in Mexico) ammo that it left a gray powder residue on the front of the muzzle. None of the others did.

Fun day.

2. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    The Augila ammo is probably just not as clean as the others ie. different factory standards.

Was your friend trying to chamber the first round with the slide release? For some reason I have trouble too. I find I have to release the slide to the forward position after it's empty and manually rack the slide back after inserting a fresh mag. I also seat the rounds by smacking the full mag against my palm.

I have read other threads about WWB. Someone said they are not all the same length... I personally have not had any problems out of 300 recently purchased rounds. Hope this helps.

P.S. Don't wait so long next time to get out and shoot your new toys.

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Just out of curiosity, did the aguila ammo in .45 smell anywhere near as bad as the aguila .22 ammo? Just wondering.

4. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    You...smell your ammo?

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

6. My friend's C9 was in the receiver-back position after the last round fired. Try as he would, consistently the reciever would not go forward and chamber a round. He fiddled with the magazine, and even a couple of times banged his palm on the bottom of the mag. That chambered the round.

Aguila smell: yes, I noticed a sharper odor from firing that brand.

I have several other brands of .40 cal, (the one that didn't chamber on the last two rounds on two mags), so will try them before I get too concerned.

Tom

8. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Wolf ammo in my SKS has a distinct smell.
    The residue on the end of the barrel/frame? happens to my JHP no matter what ammo I put through it: Same as my 1911.

9. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    Sorry, I misunderstood. I love the smell of gunpowder, I thought you were running around smelling random crap.

10. If the slide is held back after last round fired, you need to either remove the mag and pull back on the slide or replace the mag with one with ammo and then pull back on the slide.

I usually eject the mag after the last round and then pull the slide back and use the safety to lock it back. Then I can replace the mag and release the slide to chamber the first round.

This is just my pair of shiny coppered disks with Honest Abe.

11. I've noticed with my C9 that you have to make sure the first/last round is pointed up slightly before you insert mag. I usually do this on all my mags as I load them. Smacking them on the palm does this too, but my palms end up a little sore after doing it so many times. Usually the first/last round with angle down slightly when you load it. I saw first/last because it's the last one you load but the first you fire. BTW, I only use 10rd mags.