Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indoor ranges opened today in NJ so I got to take out the 995 TS. All went smoothly except I got a few failures to chamber with various types of ammo. Once the first round chambered, the whole mag fired perfectly. Had the issue with 2 different mags, but I expect they will break in.

Also the 995 DID NOT LIKE the Winchester Service Grade 115 grain Flat Nose. Lots of FTF and stovepipes. Got 6 rounds off from a 10 round mag and gave up on it. It fed just fine in my Taurus G3 (also my first time shooting it and it ate EVERYTHING without a hiccup) so it won't go to waste.

I shot
CCI Blazer 115 grain
Aguila 115 grain
Federal American Eagle 124 grain
Winchester service Grade 115 grain Flat Nose

I am a newb, but I was definitely hitting better when using 124 grain than 115. I was using the 124 grain Federal American Eagle. I also have some CCI Blazer 124 which I will take out next time.

Feels good to FINALLY shoot the darn thing! Now if I could only find more 9mm ammo to buy!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finally got to shoot mine purchased in May just last week! I like it! I only fired off about 70 rounds since it's hard to get replacement ammo right now and I want to save some if needed for other than plinking. Only one failure to feed early on. Shot only American Eagle 115 and 124 grain ammo since that's all I was able to score. I didn't get a chance to try the Federal 115 grain aluminum case because the range has a brass restriction.
Mine was shooting high when I first started to sight it in, and then even higher when I turned the rear sight elevation the wrong way, but I finally got it sighted in just right.

I also brought my old Marlin Glenfield model 60 22LR that I purchased over 45 years ago. I forgot how sweet it was to shoot that rifle, and accurate too! Those 22 LRs are fun plinkers, relatively quiet, with cheap and obtainable (today) ammo.

When I go to the range I carry them both in a nice carry bag (NcSTAR VISM Deluxe Padded Rifle Case with External Magazine Pockets, 42") that I bought off Amazon that fits both rifles inside, plus boxes of ammo. I separate the rifles with a thin padded carpet piece.

IMG_20200702_200846_479.jpg
Took a chance that the 42" bag would work for both. It's snug, but they both fit.

IMG_20200702_200515_347.jpg

Lots of room in the pouches for boxes of 9MM ammo, plus my 9MM HKS mag loader.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice.. I was shooting LOW at first. I compensated my aim point and things were pretty good. I went to adjust the rear sight a bit but I didn't realize the HiPoint "Tool" flat blade didn't seem to fit the elevation screw and I didn't have another flat screwdriver with me that did.

·
Premium Member
9,230 Posts
Indoor ranges opened today in NJ so I got to take out the 995 TS. All went smoothly except I got a few failures to chamber with various types of ammo. Once the first round chambered, the whole mag fired perfectly. Had the issue with 2 different mags, but I expect they will break in.

Also the 995 DID NOT LIKE the Winchester Service Grade 115 grain Flat Nose. Lots of FTF and stovepipes. Got 6 rounds off from a 10 round mag and gave up on it. It fed just fine in my Taurus G3 (also my first time shooting it and it ate EVERYTHING without a hiccup) so it won't go to waste.

I shot
CCI Blazer 115 grain
Aguila 115 grain

I am a newb, but I was definitely hitting better when using 124 grain than 115. I was using the 124 grain Federal American Eagle. I also have some CCI Blazer 124 which I will take out next time.

Feels good to FINALLY shoot the darn thing! Now if I could only find more 9mm ammo to buy!!
I have the 4595, so I don't have to deal with 995 magazine tweaking, but search the threads for 995 magazine tweaks. Some of those stoppages might be related to feed lip issues that you can fix as a user. Cicpup, Swaga, Rachieger, lklawson, and Ajole are a few users who can help direct you to those threads if you can't find them, or they can give you the tips, directly.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Make sure you really "sling shot" the charging handle on the first round. Snatch the charging handle back and let it go. Don't drag on it at all. I had some issues with the first round chambering when I first got mine too.
It's really not the pullback that matters. Just the let go that counts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks! I practiced with some snap caps and it seemed like my 'technique' was working but the live rounds are heavier than the snap caps so I will pay more attention. Oddly enough with the VERY FIRST MAG I shot, the round chambered perfectly.

By the way... The HiPoint tool works fine on the sight adjustment. Must just have been the bad lighting at the range and my bad eyes that made me not line it up..

·
Premium Member
21,120 Posts
Packing your mags properly is the key to most ailments. Make sure each round is all the way to the rear, and pointing "nose up." That is achieve by slapping the mag backwards into your palm, and taking your other thumb and pressing on the rear of the round.

·
Premium Member
21,120 Posts
Back to the range today. Followed everyone's advice. Not a single failure to chamber or any other malfunction. Life is good :)
Of the 3 calibers I own, the 995TS is the most fun. I couldn't give a crap about the .45's. Yet I have 2 of them!

·
Registered
72 Posts
where

I shot
CCI Blazer 115 grain
Aguila 115 grain

where in nj are you from im in southern nj

1 - 12 of 12 Posts