Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by a new gunshop I've been meaning to visit on my lunch hour. They had a pile of C&R type rifles that I dug through for a while. Nice stuff, a couple things I really want but nothing I was going to buy right then. Didn't see any SKS's so I asked if they had any. The guy said no, they sell pretty fast. Then he remembered that they did just finish cleaning up/testing one that was just brought in a couple days ago. It was a yugo and it looked to be in great condition. No price on it so I asked, expecting it to be more then $300 since it looked so good. The guy said $175.99. I said I'll take it with me right now. WOOOOO SKS!!! Sorry but no camera for a pic. You all know what a yugo looks like.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
DUDE.... Arizona prices are STILL around $350 to $700 for an SKS!!! I hate you cheap gun states

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now all you need is a practice grenade to stick on the launcher to give folks on the range a heart attack.
Or maybe some real grenades to fire at the range at my moms house? I wonder if that is legal? It sounds fun so it must not be.

DUDE.... Arizona prices are STILL around $350 to $700 for an SKS!!! I hate you cheap gun states
no crap, its still high here too....lame....
Trust me, that's the first SKS I've seen in the year I've been looking that's been under $275 and that one was junk. Generally they've been $300 to $500.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I paid 325 for a 1951 Tula. It was the ONLY deal I've seen on an SKS since the O scare.

Sadly, I sold it to help fund an AR project that utilmately turned into an AK and a boatload of magazines.

Wish I would have kept it and saved up the money as opposed to selling.

I'm never going to sell another firearm :blink:

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Awesome score, wish I could find a deal like that...

·
Premium Member
36,168 Posts
Congrats! Let the blasting begin! If you haven't yet, get some ammo on stripper clips, I was amazed at how easy they are to use. Made the whole hi-cap mag thing silly, IMHO.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a bunch of ammo on stripper clips for my mauser. Then I had the idea of putting a scope on it and tore off the rear sight. Now stripper clips won't fit and I don't care that much for the scope. I wish I had unmodified version :(

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
From my experience, and let me preface this by saying I think the AK-47 is probably one of the best combat weapons invented since the Gladius and before combat droids, I feel the SKS is actually a better rifle.

While not as compact, they use the same standard ammo, have a longer more accurate barrel, have a smoother action in my opinion, and most of all, they have that process that FORCES you to think about individual shots. The SKS is NOT a "spray and pray" weapon no matter how you modify it with accessories. Sure, a 20 rounder fixed and a poly stock is the MOST I would ever do, but people keep trying to turn them into bastardized AK's, and they're not that. These rifles are made to hit things LIKE A RIFLE! AND, a combat grade semi-auto rifle got viewed as "outdated" the moment we stepped out of WWII and into conflicts in apartments and village markets that are now the common fare of today.

But, there is still that place for a weapon with long, accurate range and the ability to lay down fire at a high rate without being full auto, and having the accuracy that goes with it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I actually prefer the sks to an ak as well. In these parts lately the cheapest I've seen an sks for was right around $200 and it was in pretty decent shape. Didn't have money at the time. Will definitely need to get another sks. I still want an ak though too.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
The last one I saw was at a pawn shop and $250 was asking price. It had a red dot, folding stock, bayonet and was very heavy. I think it was a russian or rom made.
From what I read they need a firing pin mod to lessen slam firing chance and maybe trigger work.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The last one I saw was at a pawn shop and $250 was asking price. It had a red dot, folding stock, bayonet and was very heavy. I think it was a russian or rom made.
From what I read they need a firing pin mod to lessen slam firing chance and maybe trigger work.
The only modification an SKS needs to avoid slam fire is a behaviour modification to keep that thing SQUEAKY CLEAN! You keep your gun clean and in good repair you will have a reliable rifle.

And, all SKS rifles will seem heavy to alot of fare out there. They're just a VERY built weapon. But, as Borris The Blade from the movie "Snatch" said:

"Heavy is good. Is sign of reliability. Besides, if it doesn't work you can always hit 'em with it."

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
The Russians do not require the firing pin modification
The key is if there is a return spring assist on the pin correct?
I should have went more in depth:
The Russian made SKS's with manufacture dates from 1945 thru 1950 had a firing pin spring installed and therefore are not prone to any type of slam fire incidents. All SKS's made from 1951 and up, any country, any version, were copied off of the 1951 design from Russia which entailed a free floating firing pin. A design that has the chance for the shoulders of the firing pin to become so battered that they actually wedge themselves into the firing pin hole in the bolt, thereby causing a locked-foward and protruding firing pin which will upon closing, strike the freshly loaded round and continue the process of slam or "full-auto" firing.

Murray's has created the cure for that problem and I do have 2 of their springs in my remaining SKS's. http://murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

1 - 20 of 27 Posts