Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Financing a firearm?

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  stonebridge 
#1 ·
Really never though about it but why not? Budsgunshop.com has a financing plan available. Anywhere from 90 days to 1 year no interest depending on the size of purchase. They will not finance assault rifles which sucks, if they did I might be buying a new AR. What are your thoughts?

#3 ·
Just me, debt is dumb, and cash is king.
He said one year no interest, that means there's no debt accrued via interest. Otherwise it's the same amount of cash out whether paid all at once or divvied out over the course of the year. In fact, one could use the unspent portion on a CD or some other short term investment, although for that relatively small amount you'd maybe make 75 cents on the deal!

#6 ·
He said one year no interest, that means there's no debt accrued via interest. Otherwise it's the same amount of cash out whether paid all at once or divvied out over the course of the year. In fact, one could use the unspent portion on a CD or some other short term investment, although for that relatively small amount you'd maybe make 75 cents on the deal!
Why put money on a cd when our dollar will soon be worth zero?

#7 ·
CD's are generally a waste of time and resources. The interest rate typically tracks with inflation and all you do is lock up your money so you can't use it while the bank uses it to leverage more loans to other people, thereby making money off of you.

no interest term loans can work for disciplined people, but the reason they are offered is that so many people are not disciplined. The odds are that the institution loaning the money to you will win because you will likely not pay it off in the amount of time given to you. Banks make money as a business. They know what they are doing. They know the consumer better than the consumer knows himself. When you borrow, you enslave yourself to either a person or a business. I don't know about you, but I don't like the thought of being owned by someone else.

bottom line, if you can't afford it then don't buy it. If you want to exhibit your superior discipline, use discipline to save for what you want. Self control is a virtue that is severely lacking nowadays.

ok, I shall now descend from my soapbox.

#8 ·
The other thing to consider is the potential for an inflationary cycle within the year long time period. If you save your money until you can afford it all at once, will the price still be the same or will it be higher? But if you buy it now on a zero interest installment and we get inflation, then you're in the catbird seat.

#10 ·
I've bought my last four or five new guns via financing through American General at my local gun shop. 12 months same-as-cash and I've never paid a dime of interest. Looks good on the credit, I get the gun I want immediately and it's easier than paying one big lump at once. As long as you're mature enough to pay it off before the terms are up, why not?

-'b

#11 ·
Always better to pay cash.
BUT
When you walk into your LGS and they have that used weapon that you have been looking for forever at the right price. (you know it won't be there next week)
That's why LGD's brought back Lay Away/30 days. The best of both worlds. No interest and you can make sure it comes home with you, maybe a little later.

#12 ·
As long as you're mature enough to pay it off before the terms are up, why not?

-'b
because its not always about maturity. Sometimes life just throws you a big pile of shat. Say you're on the hook for an $800 AR-15 and you get laid off, or hurt, or one of your family members gets sick, or your car breaks down, or whatever. Now you are still on the hook for that firearm while you scramble to find either a job, or the money to pay all your bills. If your payment was $80 a month for that firearm, why not just save the $80 a month and when you have all the money saved, pay in cash. If life happens along the way, then you do what you gotta do, but at least you don't owe anyone any money.

#13 ·
Ok, I'll concede the point that crap happens to screw up perfectly good plans. I guess if I were in a position where I didn't have the funds to pay off the gun immediately should I have to, I wouldn't finance it in the first place. I don't finance guns because I can't afford them per se, I finance them because it keeps things more flexible should something else pop up. To each his own.

-'b

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.