Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to reload .45 ACP, 9mm, .380ACP, .44 MAG, and .50AE.

What would you recomend for a newbie such as myself. I see these things that are set up, caliber specific. Where I just pull the lever and all the operations are performed and it pops out a ready round.

How much would it cost to get up and running?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I too have recently gotten interested in reloading. The advice I have gotten so far is to study, study study. I am becoming convinced that the best piece of reloading equipment you will ever have is your brain. This is why I am not going to start out with any sort of multistage press that does more than one operation at I time. I'm thinking in terms of one operation at a time. Simple basic steps, that build a simple basic round. When the time comes that i think I really understand the process, I might consider moving to some sort of a progressive press, but I am nowhere close to that so far.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=880135

This press is what I use for everything you just stated, and is the only press that I use to reload for my .50AE. I believe it comes with a set of dies, but even if it doesn't dies aren't that expensive. I recommend you buying this press, and then buy the dies separately, and buy a turret for each caliber that you plan to reload for. I've done this, and it makes life so much simpler to change calibers. All you have to do is pull the turret out and swap that and the shell plate and you're ready to go with the other caliber.

This particular item is backordered right now, but for the price, I'd be willing to wait a few extra weeks. This same press on Lee's site is $160.00 + dies....

Oh, and if you can't find a set of .50 AE dies anywhere, I have an extra set that I may be willing to part with. Try to find a set on your own, cuz I'd like to keep my extras for a rainy day, but if you can't find any, I'll let them go for a good cause. ;)

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Just expect to wait a while. Many items are out of stock and on backorder. My christmas presents (Dies, Mold, Press kit) were ordered in November (From F&M) - recieved the 9mm dies and bullet mold about 2 weeks ago, still waiting on the turret press kit and 7.7x58 dies. I have had no problems with F&M - just that many items (From all suppliers - grafs and Midway are also showing them on backorder) are in short supply right now - you'll have to wait from most places unless you happen to get lucky and they get a shipment right when you order.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Lee Classic 4-Hole turret works great for me. When MidwayUSA has them in stock, they ship same day. Less complex than a full progressive yet a high enough round count per hour (150-200 rounds) for most average shooters.

Just by removing the 1 index rod (it lifts right out) you can use it as a single stage while you learn the simple steps involved in reloading - and actually it IS pretty simple, as long as you can read and most importantly follow instructions.

The Classic is cast iron and SUPER beefy. You will also need the dies, a powder die riser, a scale, a powder dispenser ( the Lee Pro Disk is great) and their very nice Safety Prime system for large & small primers. I bought separate $10 turrets for each caliber I reload so setup -caliber changeout is very quick.

You can see everything in action at either youtube or the Lee factory website: http://leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I started out with the breech lock challenger press, and within a few moths upgraded to the 4 hole turret press. i like how you can disable the auto index feature with the removal of a rod. i would get the 4 hole to start off with if i had it to do over again. Learn in single stage mode, and then go auto index.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
... i like how you can disable the auto index feature with the removal of a rod. i would get the 4 hole to start off with if i had it to do over again. Learn in single stage mode, and then go auto index.
I had no idea that was an option! You just got me interested in going that route!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
+1 to what Virgil said. My 4 hole turrett press isn't here yet but after researching everything I went with it because I could use it as a single stage at first and would only need to install and adjust the dies 1 time. After becoming comfortable with using it as a single stage I could quickly switch over and get higher output.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Once you are setup to run a a specific caliber/bullet, you only need to change the powder measure throw and the primer lever/primer (if you are changing sizes) to switch to a different turret.

You obviously will need to change the seating die fine adjustment should you change bullets for that particular caliber from what was set on the turret.

In any event it only takes a couple minutes to switch calibers and make those minor changes. I use the adjustable charge bar on my Pro Disk powder measure so setting up for all but very small charges is super easy and super fast. For loading .380 Auto I do switch over to the Lee micro disk to get the lighter throw needed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The Deluxe turret IS available as a kit. Not as all inclusive as the Anniversary kit, but a kit none the less.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=622290

My choice would still be the Classic Turret if for nothing else than the stronger assembly and primer catching tube. You would still need to buy the other needed tools but IMHO you would end up with a better turret for just a few dollars more?

I too started reloading just recently with the Anniv kit and the 1st thing I did was realize that I wanted the efficiency of tthe turret instead, so I upgraded and the single stage has gone unused for now.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Hey Randy, if you're interested in selling the single stage, I may be interested in buying it. I am starting to do some rifle reloading and a single stage is great for that. If you wanna talk about it, send me a PM.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll keep your offer in mind. For now I think I'll hang on to it for doing just single operations like priming. I "may" a;so be doing small numbers for my brother and his C.A.S. hobby.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Ok buddy. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Well then Delmar, that's a win win situation for you eh?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.