Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I traded off my sks a while back but here is one I picked up this weekend, someone did a number on the magwell... they hacked it up bad and still I had to sand it down some for the tapco mag to fit! I have NEVER seen an sks that wouldnt accept tapco mags until this one...It had a metal 30 rounder that was just as a tight fit as well, even had to modify the tapco mag to fit...wondering if anyone has had similar problems. And yes I do know the bolt has to be open to insert it..thats not the problem. Also since it's such a PITA to remove have any of you ever used stripper clips with tapco mags? And I would put the factory one back in it but I dont have one and like the extra rounds the tapco offers.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Very nice... glad you got one while you could.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Also since it's such a PITA to remove have any of you ever used stripper clips with tapco mags? And I would put the factory one back in it but I dont have one and like the extra rounds the tapco offers.
Yes. You need to sand/cut/dremel a little notch intop the top rear of the feed lips to get the stripper clip to seat down into it. Theres a good pictorial set of instructions for this mod on the Survivors SKS Boards. I'll try to post up a pic of mine when I get back from paying bills. If you get one of the new bolts from tapco, you shouldn't have to hold the bolt open to put the mag in anymore.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
That's a nice rig man! I've always wondered if these kind of rifles are more Sniper/Hunter-like or AK-47-like.... Congrats!
The SKS is a rifle designed as a combat rifle to be issued to infantry soldiers along side of PPSH SMG's and did so for only a few years before the AK came along and took over by storm. Definatly not a sniper rifle but not quite AKish either. Think m1 carbine for the U.S.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your seeing alot of them on the cheap I would suggest picking up a few, the prices on them are sky-rocketing. My brother picked up a whole crate back in the 90's for less than a grand now you would do good to buy 3 for that. they're going from 250-400 around here.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I've seen quite a few of these import rifles on the cheap and wonder if its worth it to pick one up.
I agree with ghooge, getting popular around here too. They're a great hunting rifle imho, cprs well to a .30-30 carbine for accuracy, but ready with another shot asap with no need to lever another round into place & ammo is currently cheaper than the .30-30. Heavy beast but seems not to be as "scary" in the public image as an AK... hmmm, is that a plus or minus? :devilsidesmile:

nice lookin' rifle dude! Real nice!

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don't have to buy a new bolt. you can do a bolt mod (also from the survivors board). I did mine and it works perfectly. you cant' go wrong with TAPCO.

Here's my rig.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts