So I worked my way into a firearms chat with a fair amount of Brits, and it was pretty fun; everyone was pretty civil, and it was apparent after a bit that with me being the only Yank in there that I was the guy to ask. Well, it's obvious that Hollywood is way too influential over here (same could be said about the States, of course), and here are some of my favorite questions I was asked along with my responses to them (numbers are the Brits, A is my answer to them): 1. "Why do you all shoot the gun sideways?" A: "We don't. Responsible gun owners, which is 99% of us, never fire our firearms that way. The other 1% have no business owning a firearms until they learn not to do that. So we ALL do NOT hold them that way." 2. "How many times have you had to draw your firearm?" A: "Never, and hopefully it stays that way. Don't be fooled; no sane gun owner who carries WANTS to draw or use their firearm on another person. We carry it just in case the need arises. You have an alarm on your house, but does that mean you WANT someone to break in? That's what my pistol is; a security system. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it." 3. "How many autos do you own?" A: "One; it's a Honda. Other than that, I do not own any fully automatic or select-fire weapons. Federal laws regarding those sorts of weapons in the U.S. are pretty restrictive. Firstly, a civilian cannot own any fully-auto firearm made after 1986 in the U.S. That means good-condition full-autos on the market are often rare and very expensive, far beyond your average shooter's budget. Anybody you see shooting a "new" automatic firearm is using a receiver built before 1986, the receiver being the legal "gun" art of the firearm. To obtain an automatic firearm made after 1986, you have to hold a Federal Firearms License as a dealer or manufacturer. Which, unless you own your own firearms business, is not really worth the trouble, though it's possible if you try hard enough. Plus, you have the added difficulty of getting your local law enforcement chief to sign off on it before you can own it, as the law requires. So unless your Sheriff or local police chief is cool with it, you're pretty much screwed until they change their mind or someone else comes in with a more open view." 4. What's the most fun target you've ever fired at?" A. "A friend of mine got a bunch of Tannerite, which is a binary explosive that explodes when struck by a high-velocity round, and packed it into a dead tree. I took my .308 and we took cover behind a car from about a hundred yards and took a couple shots at it. Blew up and took the tree down, it was awesome." 5. "Do you support Great Britain legalizing private firearms ownership for the layman?" A. "I'm American; I support it for every human being alive in every country."