FireClean gun oil=rip off

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by GLUGLUG, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    A- never heard of the stuff.

B- never buy the story, or the hype, or the opinion of "experts" unless they have real evidence.:rolleyes:

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well, he does say that it's "reasonably effective."

Now, where have I heard before that there may be "alternative" products to the high-priced oils, lubes, cleaners, and preservatives marketed to gun buyers? Sounds really familiar. :rofl:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

When it comes to veggie oils, most of them will work "reasonably well." There are four things you want to consider.

1. Smoke Point
    2. Flash Point
    3. Oxidation
    4. Rancid

The smoke point is the temperature at which the veggie oil will begin to smoke. At this point it's degrading, breaking down, and will start failing to function well as a lubricant.

To dramatically over-simplify it, the flash point is the temperature at which it will catch on fire, basically.

Oxidation is when oxygen starts bonding with the oil, making it sticky, gummy, or hard. This is obviously bad for something you're wanting to use as a lube. Flax-Seed oil, the "safe to eat" version of Linseed oil, is known for this; it is also used as a wood finish and to produce early "linoleum" flooring. (It's also exothermic!)

Some vegetable oils can turn rancid or rotten, making it both sticky and stinky!

That said, many veggie oils work just fine. For firearms lubes, you want ones with a high Smoke Point and Flash point. At a guess, I'd say a Flash Point of at least 400 degrees. By comparison, according to EngineeringToolbox.com, various motor oils have a Flash Point of between 420 and 485 degrees.

Here's a cooking site which lists cooking oils with both Smoke Point and Flash Point temperature averages: http://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points

There are a lot of veggie oils which fall within the range of 400-480-ish and a few which exceed that and run into the 500 degree range (if you don't mind your gun smelling like guacamole dip).

But, yeah, if you wanna jump on the "all natural" band-waggon for cheap, then a bottle of generic brand canola oil is an extra cheap way of doing it. Heck, you can even get it in aerosol!

[​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I may have to extend the section on veggie oils in The Cheapskate's Guide...

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
  6. lsi1

lsi1 Member

theres another article as a follow up that of course contains fire cleans statement but then right below that is his patent application which involves mixing veggie oils to creat a gun lubricant.

I don't imagine that theres really a lit of money for gun oil R&D so much as a couple rednecks in a garage somewhere looking for slippery stuff.

I got a squirt bottle of slip 2000 that seems slippery enough for me but when its gone i'll just use synthetic motor oil. stupid car takes 4.5qt anyhow why would people build a motor that doesn't just take an even number of quarts of oil?

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'll be using coconut oil from now on, smoke point of 350F
    My SKS will smell nice and tropical.

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

That's code for something else right ;-)

9. SWAGA

10. moona11

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

12. moona11

Won't help Kirk the boy is in denial

13. SWAGA

What ya talking 'bout Willis?

Samozaryadnyj KoKonutski sistemy Simonova is really what SKS stands for.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well, you could probably mix in your own anti-oxidants which would help. Powered Vitamin C comes to mind, but I have no idea how well it would dissolve into oil.

Sounds like a fun experiment. If I had infinite time and money I'd probably try it just to screw around. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. 45Man

45Man Member

One of the dumbest videos I've ever seen. What they say is complete nonsense. All it proves is FIREClean burns faster than CLP. That makes Larry Vickers a total a-hole, which I always suspected. He is no stranger to controvesry, it seems to be his business.

16. 556

556 Member

Mobil-1 Synthetic oil for me. 1QT last you forever.

17. Though coconut is good for Thai Curries...

Unrefined peanut oil has a smoke point of 320 degrees Fahrenheit, while refined peanut oil has a smoke point of 448 degrees Fahrenheit. The fire point of both oils is 700 degrees Fahrenheit.

They all have a rancid period as they are vegetable instead of mineral. But here it is

"Unrefined peanut oil has a smoke point of 320 degrees Fahrenheit, while refined peanut oil has a smoke point of 448 degrees Fahrenheit. The fire point of both oils is 700 degrees Fahrenheit."

Peanut oil is recommended for grills because of it's high flash and smoke point and because peanut butter is good.

18. SWAGA

Except if the guy next to you at the range has a peanut allergy.

19. Rerun

Rerun Member

Bacon grease - It's Job One!

eldar