Firefighter Responds to Head-On Crash, Discovers Victims Are His Family

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Jun 11, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I can't even imagine....

https://www.yahoo.com/health/firefighter-responds-to-head-on-crash-discovers-121286970907.html

Firefighters save lives for a living. So when a fireman from Texas received a call on Saturday about coming to the rescue for the victims of a head-on car collision, he raced to the scene.

But the two people who were badly injured in the accident were not just ordinary citizens—they were his wife and his 7-year-old son.

“It’s my family. My wife was laying there on the ground. (By) the look of the car, I don’t know how either one of them lived. There was nothing left of that car,” Aaron Van Riper, Assistant Chief for the Thomas Lake Fire Department, tearfully told KRTK News, an ABC affiliate.

Aaron’s wife, Amber, had been ejected from the car, and both she and Jonathan were rushed by Life Flight (a non-for-profit medical service) to Memorial Hermann hospital.

Both of them were reported to have suffered from “a number of fractures.”

And there’s another stressful component to this family’s situation — they do not have health insurance, even though Amber works full time. Friends have come to their rescue and established a GoFundMe page in order to help pay for the Van Riper’s ongoing medical expenses.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You said it under wow

4. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

How was she ejected from the car? Was she not wearing her seatbelt?

5. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Tragic. The 'no health insurance' thing sound a bit odd tho. A full time asst fire chief doesn't have health insurance for his family? What about the 'mandatory' Obamacare?

6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I have been first on scene to a friend dying... was also the end of me career as an EMT. Picking someone you think of as a brother(we were close like family, grew up together...) up off the pavement with no face left... he landed face first after going over the handlebars of his bike. Landed at 50mph on pavement after he hit a curb drunk.

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

These are the things that tear at a persons soul. Anyone can do the job. Buts its how long your soul will let you do it is the de siding factor. Lets not forget the dreams if you can call them that.

8. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I have heard that he was volunteer, so that's why no insurance through the Department.

They make not make enough for Obamacare. Or they may make too much to make it really "affordable".

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Thomas Lake Road Fire Department is an all-volunteer department.

If their department works like most VFD's I'm familiar with, their Chief officers MIGHT get a small monthly stipend for fuel expenses.

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    At least if they raise enough cash, they will have a better choice of hospitals and physicians. The insurance company won't be able to tell them where they can or can't go.