Fireworks make Mother Earth cry...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Jul 1, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Remember "air pollution" is defined as any "contaminant," gas, or particulate matter added to the air such as from burning stuff. So, did we REALLY need a "study" to determine that fireworks (which "burn" and "explode") cause a short term increase in airborne particulate matter ("air pollution")? :rolleyes:

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/06/study-fireworks-cause-pollution-can-pose-health-risks

"July Fourth fireworks fill the skies across the nation with more than sparkling bursts of color. They spew pollution, too.

A study of 315 locations around the country found that the holiday explosions temporarily boosted the levels of airborne microscopic particles..."​

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Not nearly as much as a Hillary speech...... The hot air and BS particulates, exceed coal fired plant contaminant levels....

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    ...and not nearly as much as the knowledge that there are still so many people out there who are still buying her claptrap. At some point, you would think that they would wise up.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I have the same problem. They bore me to tears.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I watched a "man on the street" type montage which (among other things) queried professed Hildabeast voters as to why they were going to vote for her and what she's done which makes her such a great candidate. The answer was always, "She's a Democrat."

<sigh>

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. I can answer that, she will be making history, just like Obama made history. First closeted rug muncher, scorned wife, cankle supposed woman president.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Speaking of pollution and coal plants...the one nearest me, which is literally 400 feet from a coal mine, (also closed) and 50 feet from a rail line that used to carry coal to a steel mill, and provided jobs for 75 people, plus 175 Megawatts of electricity, closed down one day before the SCOTUS ruling.

It was the oldest plant in Utah, retrofitting was too expensive, and half the guys there will be working in another plant 30 miles south of this one.

Oh well. That's progress.:rolleyes:

8. Is the new power plant one that burns natural gas to generate power?

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

lots of possible lead contamination in the air, too
    [​IMG]

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

This will be the first year in 7 years I won't be putting on a fireworks show from my yard... my out of town guests for my annual BBQ always bought mortars we launched out over the field

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Not new, built in the 1970's, fitted on '06 with scrubbers and a filter bag house. 895 Megawatts, 2.5 miles from a mine, coal powered.

Run by Pacificorp, in Castle Dale Utah.

12. Bull

I'm hoping the one Supreme Court decision they got right, leads to the EPA being forced to back off of the coal plant closings.

13. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Indeed. I only wonder why they decided to actually follow the law on this one and not on the last two Obama Care rulings they made.

14. Bull

You got me..... Someone somewhere is planning something, I'm sure.

15. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Not me.

I always pop firecrackers where ever I am at! :D

$100.00 This year! :D

I get a display pack in the $50-60 dollar range, two artillery sets (12 rounds) and $20.00 in firecrackers! :D

My friends and family come out - Fine foods off the grill, and out of the kitchen, music, corn hole toss, badminton, volleyball, basketball and dominoes.

Good times had by all!

:D

eldar

16. I outgrew fireworks years ago, but enjoyed them when I was young. Now if I want to see and hear them I crank up the sound system, and watch them on the gig screen in the dark. No mosquitoes, no looking over heads, no crowds, and no fighting traffic going to and from.

17. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

One can never 'outgrow' fireworks, one merely closes their heart to the joy of watching things explode.

When I was a 'wee lad', back in the last Century, my Grand Uncle would make a small trench in the dirt, lay an M-80 or Cherry Bomb in the trench and then place his M-1 US Army helmet over it.

One of us children would then squat onto the helmet and he would light the fuse.

The key to this 'ride' was to land on one's feet after being thrown upwards by the blast.

Bear in mind, most of us kids only weighed 40-50 pounds.

Couldn't do that today...

Reminiscing eldar

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Old man WW. I think were spending $400 this year ouch

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I don't go to fire works shows. I still have issues once in a great while. Too many people packed, to close together, while things explode and light up the night sky.

20. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Thats why I do it at home ;)