Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I bought a brand New c9. I have noticed that when the slide is pulled back and cocked the springs make a terrible grinding/crunching noise and also when uncocked the firing pin drops back and forth and moves freely. I haven't fired it yet and not sure if I should. I have 2 other pistols but they are quite different (kel tec p11, beretta 96) Something just doesn't seem right. When I remove the slide and inspect the springs and firing pin they seem to be in good shape. I would have a hard time believing that the firing pin is supposed to move back and forth like this. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
My CF380 also makes the same "grinding/crunching" noise you speak of. I believe that is the action cocking itself. I have not noticed the firing pin moving freely, will go check that.

Regardless, I think that must be normal. Not been a Hi Point owner long, I'm sure someone here with more experience will chime in shortly and set us straight!

For what it's worth, mine runs well.

·
Resident PITA
16,024 Posts
When I walk down the street my balls jiggle. Should I get them looked at?

When uncocked your firing pin isn't under tension. It's free to wiggle a bit. Also you have two firing pin springs (one inside the other) that tend to rub together sometimes making a crunching sound. Especially right after you put it back together. Takes a few aggressive racks to reseat them. A bit of oil helps but what it really needs is to be broken in.

So in summary, all is well, go have fun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's normal. I was wondering the same thing because my other hi-point has the old style firing pin spring set up and it doesn't do it because instead of two springs it has one and a plastic gromit. The two springs bind a little bit when you cock the pistol. That's the noise your hearing. I took the slide off and moved the firing pin retainer back and forth and saw what was going on. It didn't effect the firing pin to move freely back into a normal resting position. But I would recommend you shoot the pistol because that's how you work the bugs out of it. Remember to load the mag with the slide forward or you could bend your firing pin. Made that mistake my first time out at the range.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As far as the firing pin moving back and forth when the pistol isn't cocked there's no pressure on the firing pin. The spring doesn't span the length of the slide. Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
28,618 Posts
Today I bought a brand New c9. I have noticed that when the slide is pulled back and cocked the springs make a terrible grinding/crunching noise
That's normal. Don't worry about it.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Remember to load the mag with the slide forward or you could bend your firing pin. Made that mistake my first time out at the range.
That shouldn't be right. You are saying when it runs dry I should drop the mag, send the slide home, insert a new mag, then rack the slide? Dosent make sense to have a slide lock???

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah it will protect your firing pin. The firing pin is also your extractor. Your firing pin is exposed when your slide is open. Do what you want but trust me you will do what I say after you bend your firing pin.

·
No longer broke...
21,920 Posts
Mmmmmm.......I disagree with that.
Your firing pin may get bend in a failure to feed scenario or with a double feed.
Yes the firing pin is exposed but it should not come into contact with the rounds in the mag.
Use snap caps and take a look.

·
Resident PITA
16,024 Posts
That shouldn't be right. You are saying when it runs dry I should drop the mag, send the slide home, insert a new mag, then rack the slide? Dosent make sense to have a slide lock???
Mainly an issue when you let it all go to your head and start dropping & slamming mags like a retarded action hero.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There's several posts on this forum that deal with this issue. My 8 round mag inserts deeper than my 10 round. With my 8 round there isn't much clearance about a millimeter or so. When you seat the mag especially with a new firearm you need to put some force to it. So it's not slamming it like a retarded Rambo or what ever you said. It's seating a new mag with a new firearm. I have been in combat situations where you don't want your mag not to seat properly. The same would be in a self defense situation. Mag not seated properly = dead. Just saying.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a Cf 380 and have the same grinding noise. I've never carried it or messed with it with the striker down aside form cleaning.
The gun goes bang every time I pull the trigger and is accurate enough for my taste.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remember to load the mag with the slide forward or you could bend your firing pin. Made that mistake my first time out at the range.
I see what you mean but mine has like 1/8 inch space between the top round and the pin. Maybe it will bend if the top round is popping out or something but it isn't supposed to

·
No longer broke...
21,920 Posts
It will be fine.
When it comes to cleaning time you can run a little rolled up piece of sandpaper through the firing pin channel.
It will get rid of the grindy noise but you'll still hear the springs.
The gun will be 'noisy' till things start to wear and break in.
Unlike a 1911 the HP is a very minimalistic design.
It really only has a handful of parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts