Firing pin stuck in the extended position on the .40...help?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by neothespian, Jan 13, 2008.

1. neothespian

neothespian Member

Ok, got around to servicing the new .40 and noticed that it wouldn't chamber a round!

Looked into the breach and noticed the firing pin is extended no matter whether the gun is charged or not. I have a few theories but never cracked one of these open before, believe it or not!

That and I really don't want to ship it to Ohio until we get settled into Phoenix (no matter how nice the folks are, and how tasty an extra mag sounds.)

2. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

If the internals are anything like a c9 it sounds like your FP isnt engaging the little wedge shaped sear.

Crack that bad boy open and see if the sear is caked and stuck in the downward(firing) position.

3. JoeDoe22

JoeDoe22 Member

Is the slide open or closed?

Does it look like this...

[​IMG]

4. neothespian

neothespian Member

Yes! JUST like that. It won't let me chamber a round and won't detract.

5. JoeDoe22

JoeDoe22 Member

Hmmm, If you cant chamber a round I'd suggest sending it in asap.

Mine (.45) chambers just fine...and my understanding of these pistols is that the firing pin is what ejects the brass so it has to be out like that.

6. Neo take the slide off and you should be able to see what the problem is as far as the firing pin. It may be that it is bent and cannot retract or something simple like that.

All you have to do is pull the slide back and lock it with the safety and push out the 3/32 inch pin and disengage the safety, lift the slide and let it go forward and its apart.

7. neothespian

neothespian Member

Cool! I'll get the slide off on my day off in a few once I pick up an inexpensive vice and pads (since I'm still dealing with an injury and the left arm isn't in too good of condition)

If it's just a bent part it should be easy to rectify. If not I'll just reassemble and send it off to Hi-Point after we get to Phoenix.

8. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

likely bent FP. Also dont try to chamber a round with in that condition or you may have slam fire.

SW

9. Very good point SW

I wish Hi Point would make them out of stainless steel, that way they would either stay straight or snap off instead of bending. Seems to me it would be safer in the long run.

10. Believe I would call HP and get another FP on the way.It has to be bent if Neo can't get it to move back with a lite push from a inkpin.
    I just tried it on mine and it dosn't take much effort.