First Aid Kits

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by TylerSpilker, Apr 16, 2008.

1. TylerSpilker

TylerSpilker Member

Well, I am working on my BOB (slash camping pack) and I was wondering what you guys think.

Premade first aid kit, or build my own?

Now as a sub question, whichever you answer, what should i put in/look for in the first aid kit?

I know Pain relief, sterile gloves, antiseptic, antibiotic ointments, iodine, laxatives, sterile gauzes and bandages, but what else?

How far should I go? Would it behoove me to keep a scalpel and tornocate (sp?) in this kit *just in case*?

What should I pack it all in?

2. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

Mine is very basic but relatively effective for immediate concerns:
    Duct Tape.
    Aspirin.
    Large White Towel.
    Toilet Paper.
    Liquid Soap.

The duct tape will do better than most bandaids as far as sticking on a wound tight and staying put. Additionally, it will easily allow a tight wrap on a larger wound. The toilet paper or even the towel could (and would likely) be used as a pad under the duct tape, as well as for simply cleaning wounds. From my thread (Light Duty BOB) I learned that soap is the best antiseptic, especially for being out for a while, because it is the least harmful on the good bacteria working in the wound.

Lastly, each of those objects (other than aspirin) has many other uses so they are well worth having in my BOB (well, vest in my case). Additionally, they will give me plenty of supplies to perform any first aid that I actually understand how to do (apply pressure, apply pressure, seal / cover wound, relieve pain).

However, I might have to add some rubber gloves to that.

3. I carry a CLS (combat lifesaver) bag in my truck. and a small first aid kit in my BOB. Basic stuff.

4. Sago

Sago Member

BUILD YOUR OWN!!
    You will know what is in there and it will cost your less.
    First things first you can only put in there things you know how to use.
    But people tend to get in over their heads when it comes to medical gear. Take the scalpels for instance. Can you cut a banana with out nicking the flesh of the fruit? (not a medical test) and then stitch it up before the skin turns brown? (that one is)

If not you really don't want to cut into someone. You have to know where the nerves are. And where the blood vessels are. You stand a real chance of making it worse not better. Even more so suture kits.
    Unless you get everything out you are just about guaranteeing a nasty infection. Again knowing what is supposed to be in there is the first step.
    Ok with the above this is what I have in my jump kit(s)

note tear sheets
    Plastic pencil
    Instant hand sanitizer
    EMT shears
    3 x 5 self-adherent bandage
    2 cravats w/2 blanket pins
    4 x 4 pad
    6 x 9 wound dressing
    Surgical Mask-to protect incase of disease

MEDS
    ear-mometer
    Antibiotic ointment
    Afrin Nasal Spray
    Ibuprofen 500mg-lots
    Acetaminophen 500mg-lots
    Aspirin 500mg-lots
    100% pure aloe gel
    Ipecac Syrup/Activated charcoal
    Water purification tablets
    Caffeine tablets (No doze) 12s
    Pepto bismol
    Energy Gel-for diabetics needing sugar
    Dental Kit-small
    Floss
    Laxative
    Robitussin DM 4ozl btl
    Robitussin lozenge
    Digel-anti gas
    Salt/sugar
    Sinus Decongestant – 10
    Sore Throat Relief – 10
    Benadryl
    Anti-diarrhea – 10
    Pepcid AC – 10
    Antihistamine - 10
    Carmex 2
    Visiene

WOUND CLENSER DEBRIDEMENT
    3 x 3 Gauze Sponges – 6
    Scalpel – disposable
    Scrub Brush
    Eyewash
    Eyewash lubricant – 4 small
    CELOX - Hemostatic Agent - 15g
    Povidone-iodine 1 oz
    Shur-clens – 2. Small
    Shur-clens. Large
    1 gal. plastic bag for irrigation
    Hypo-70cc for irrigation
    Bandage Sizzors
    Hemostats – 2
    Long tweezers
    Non Alcohol Prep pad – 10

BP – CUFF
    Blood Pressure cuff
    Stethoscope

BANDAGES & TAPE
    3 in. elastic bandage
    4 in. conforming band.
    1 in. roll tape
    2 in. roll tape
    Non-adhering dressing – 6
    Hydroseal bandaids
    Other types of bandaids
    Butterfly bandaids
    Sterile pads 4 x 4-10
    Cravat
    Betadine swabs – 6
    Large blood stopper bandage

Also in pack:
    SAM splint
    Blister Kit
    Burn Kit
    Ace bandages/2 clips each

I also carry two VOKs

Ventilated Operator Kit
    Cinch Tight Compression "H" Bandage
    TK-4 Tourni-Kwik (3†wide 40" long Rugged Combat Tourniquet)
    Primed Gauze (crinkle cotton)
    Nasopharyngeal Airway (30FR Robertazzi Style)
    14ga x 3 ¼ Catheter (sterile)
    Non Alcohol Prep Pad 4
    Safety Pins (2â€) multipurpose
    Duct Tape (2â€x100†roll)
    Set Nitrile N-Dex Gloves
    Three gram tube of Surgilube

This is a kit just for a gunshot or shrapnel wound victim.
    Everyone also has one to go on their action gear.

Everyone else carrys a personal medical pouch
    Each pouch
    Pack of band aids
    Hydroseal bandaids
    CELOX - Hemostatic Agent - 15g Pack 2
    Ibuprofen 500mg-4
    Acetaminophen 500mg-4
    Aspirin 500mg-4
    Sun screen
    Non latex surgury glove 2 Pair
    Ace bandage wrist/elbow
    Ace Bandage Knee
    Moleskin (Or duct tape)
    1 in. roll tape
    3 x 3 Gauze Sponges – 2

Use their gear and supplies first if at all possibile.
    Their meds are limited because if someone is going into them I need to know about it.
    If you are going into your gear or supplies there better be a problem.

I would carry what ever you can. If you can not use it you may get to someone that can.

I have two bags that use the attachment system that my waist pack and day pack uses they have been modified to unzip in half. I attached to small clamshell pouch to the bottom of each one. the small one contains meds and small things. The big ones hold everything else. Hand tools in outside zippered pockets for easy access.

The VOKs are on leg straps and the personal medical kit attaches to that strap.

Again I apologize for the length.

5. Carbin8r

Carbin8r Member

I prefer to "roll my own", so to speak. I have bought several kits over the years and use those containers and some of those supplies as a nice starting point. There are some items in those kits that can be harder to find at your corner store.

The one thing to keep track of on the meds and some antibiotics (like Bactine and such) is expiration dates. You need to be sure to rotate your stock.

I have several kits throughout the house we use as our 'medicine cabinets' which allows us to *slowly* use the supplies and I occasionally go through and consolidate and restock as necessary. They are self-contained and can be grabbed in a moment and taken with us if needed. One always travels with us on any serious trip, outing, or if doing Winter driving.

6. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Here is a hint! Get UNSCENTED female pads [AKA Kotex] They are great for large heavy bleeders and very absorbant. I learned this from and Paramedic back in the 80's while I was undergoing training and to this day have several in ALL my kits.

If you have the money to spend get a whole factory built kit. If you're on a budget make your own. I make my own except for a household kit I picked up for about $10 a couple of years ago

7. Please remember that several OTC medicines contain aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen and be careful not to overdose. Also in an extreme situation aspirin and acetaminophen (Excedrin) OR acetaminophen and ibuprofen can be combined. However, do not combine ibuprofen and aspirin because they are both blood thinners and are processed through the same organ (can't remember if it's kidneys or liver).

JMcDonald:
    Don't use TP for a wound dressing. It WILL fall apart and could get left in wound causing a breeding ground for bad bacteria. Also, you don't want to just have one towel for this either, after it is blood soaked what will you use then? I would suggest getting rolls of gauze an packages of non-stick gauze dressings. both are fairly small and can be stowed easy. I would only use the towel for a last resort and only for large, greater than 3x5in., wounds.

These are things I have found from being , A. a nursing major, B. the younger brother of a doctor, and C. from being a sickly and accident prone child.

8. Heres mine.... I had made a thread a while back similiar to yours. Anyway here it is...

[​IMG]

Contents:
    x4 Pair Nitrile gloves
    x2 EMT shears 1 large 1 small
    x8 Rolled gauze (various sizes)
    x7 2x2 gauze Pads
    x7 4x4 gauze Pads
    x3 Sheets moleskin
    x2 Triangular bandage
    x2- 3" Compress bandages
    x10 3x3 Patch bandage
    x10 Fingertip bandage
    x10 Knuckle bandage
    x10 Extra-long reg.
    xShit-ton reg. bandages
    x5 3M Steristrips
    x5 Butterfly stiches
    x1 6" ACE
    x2 3" ACE
    x1 2" ACE
    x5 Rolls of tape
    x50 Alcohol prep pads
    x1 8oz Iodine bottle
    x4 Iodine swabsticks
    x1 Bulb syringe
    x2 Eyewash
    x1 QR quick clot swab stick
    x5 Tampons
    x3 Instant ice packs
    x1 Turniquit (Spelling)
    x25' Paracord
    x25' Duct tape on credit card
    x2 Sharpie markers
    x1 Small mulit tool
    x1 LED headlamp
    x2 Hand sanitizer
    x1 Disposable razor
    Meds:

x1 Tube hydrocortizone
    x1 Tube neosporin
    x1 Instant glucose
    x48 Anti-diarrheal pills
    x4 Biofreeze
    x5 Brunjel
    x3 Waterjel
    x4 Cool and soothe blister patches
    x2 Absorbine icy hot patches (4"x6")
    x32 Ibuprofen
    x16 Decongestant
    x32 Acetaminophen

I still plan on adding some Izzy bandages, and a SAM splint

On a side note- Some of the stuff listed is in the zippered pouches on the other side of the roll itself. If anyone would like more pictures I would be more then happy to take a few.

9. Don't forget your Snake Bite Kit. If your in an area with poisonous snakes it could be a lifesaver.

Depending on the size of kit you want you could check out the Military Individual First Aid Kit that each soldier carries.
    I picked one up & added a few of those Antibiotic Bandaids inside & it fits nicely in my BOB.
    I also picked up a standard Military First Aid Kit. I added a few things inside it like Bandaids & individual Antibiotic packets. Threw in some Surgical Scissors I picked up & an Xacto knife & blades. I put this inside an old military pouch with a Glow Stick & a neat thing called an Auto Suture tool as well as the Auto Suture Remover tool. Kind of like a stapler for wounds.

10. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

My only recomendation is not to go too big with it or it will get left in your vehicle. I tend to favor the smaller pre-made kits then add what I need and still fits inside the kit. Also don't forget the non-firstaid items you have in your pack that can still work, like Duck Tape or an extra T-shirt.

Better the little you have with you than the stuff left behind. Just my two cents worth.

Take Care and Stay Safe.

11. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

This is exactly the idea I had in mind. My "BOV(est)" is something that I will be able to wear essentialy at all times during a bad situation, that has enough in it to survive for a couple days outside of the home. The first aid items I listed are there to allow the majority of wounds to be taken care of enough to make it somewhere safer. Bites and such will probably be a wisk I will have to take (unless said kits are much smaller than I am imagining), as I am primarily concerned sprains and lacerations.