Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Darn Hi-Point and their get 'er done firearms. After 4 years and 4K rounds (3,894) the thing has always cycled with just a routine of barrel snake after each outing and a few drops of gun oil now and then. Since it never 'broke' I never 'fixed' it.

So I finally learned how to disassemble it. Not at all traumatic. Just a good handful of parts to understand and keep track up.

I took it apart since I was putting on an upgrade top rail. Otherwise it would still needs its first cleanin.

Too soon for it's first bath?

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Snow Gas Composite material Auto part Metal

Automotive tire Gas Rim Wood Bumper

Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Audio equipment Nickel

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Your firing pin looks a little bent.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is so much buildup! Wow! Haha I dread the day to clean mine. I'm 1k rounds in and to be honest I am not mechanically inclined in the least.
Pray for me. :(
How long did the whole process take?

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Reactions: daveindenver

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That is so much buildup! Wow! Haha I dread the day to clean mine. I'm 1k rounds in and to be honest I am not mechanically inclined in the least.
Pray for me. :(
How long did the whole process take?
Just 1K rounds? Go find something that needs to be done. :)

I spent a hour watching a handful of youtube vids and writing down a step by step list. Because of that I had it apart in under 10 min. on my first try w/o a prob. Took longer to clean of course. The gun cleaner needed to sit for a bit if there is buildup and to re-dose as needed (yes, I read the instructions, don't tell anyone) and it all worked really well w/o any bad words. I had a coal pit of carbon in the muzzle comp which needs cleaning every 1K rounds (a small wood chisel to start, then a small metal file and its vents were gleaming.) Gave it all a full wipe down of all the cleaner, then a few drop of gun oil on the internals and movables and put it back together. The whole process, including the new rail (an IQ test of its own) and comp took me about 2 hrs. I am half clever with tools and mechanical s, but still, this was the first gun I have ever disassembled. Next time... in the dark ;).

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Gesture Yellow Emoticon Happy Font

Only a crew-served weapon, after a range day, should look like that. Hi Points are amazingly durable, but I like to clean mine every trip out. I think Hi Point recommends a high round count before a full cleaning because they're such a pain to tear down. Personally, I'll put up with that after a range trip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just 1K rounds? Go find something that needs to be done. :)

I spent a hour watching a handful of youtube vids and writing down a step by step list. Because of that I had it apart in under 10 min. on my first try w/o a prob. Took longer to clean of course. The gun cleaner needed to sit for a bit if there is buildup and to re-dose as needed (yes, I read the instructions, don't tell anyone) and all it worked really well w/o any bad words. I had a coal pit of carbon in the muzzle comp which needs cleaning every 1K rounds (a small wood chisel to start, then a small metal file and its vents were gleaming.) Gave it all a full wipe down of all the cleaner, then a few drop of gun oil on the internals and movables and put it back together. The whole process, including the new rail (an IQ test of its own) and comp took me about 2 hrs. I am half clever with tools and mechanical s, but still, this was the first gun I have ever disassembled. Next time... in the dark ;).
Haha ok cool I feel much better now. I'll go find something else to be productive on in the meantime.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
View attachment 67153
Only a crew-served weapon, after a range day, should look like that. Hi Points are amazingly durable, but I like to clean mine every trip out. I think Hi Point recommends a high round count before a full cleaning because they're such a pain to tear down. Personally, I'll put up with that after a range trip.
The carbon build up acts like sand and wears the parts. I'm with you on cleaning. 99% of gun issues are a dirty weapon. Not broke parts. There is a reason I charge so much just to look at a weapon. I have to clean it first to see what's wrong with it. And I clean them before I shoot them to make sure it's not F up from the factory and all the extra materials are cleaned out.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The carbon build up acts like sand and wears the parts.
Of course you are right. Frequent cleaning would be far better than the, shall we just call it like it is, "mistreatment" that I did.

If the carbine was an expensive precision and/or my life depends on it kind of firearm, believe me, I would be on the other end of maintenance bell-curve.

The H/P carbine had a reputation for not being a TLC princess gun that was a blast to shoot. Sure turned out to be true. If it does not last until 10K rounds then I know where to get parts at a good price.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
The carbon build up acts like sand and wears the parts. I'm with you on cleaning. 99% of gun issues are a dirty weapon. Not broke parts. There is a reason I charge so much just to look at a weapon. I have to clean it first to see what's wrong with it. And I clean them before I shoot them to make sure it's not F up from the factory and all the extra materials are cleaned out.
There was an LGS in Kaliforniastan, which used to have a Glock Day every year. Besides promotional sales, they'd have a Glock certified armorer in there to inspect and repair/replace parts if needed, all for free. While I was waiting to have him look at my G21, I remember him looking at another guy's weapon and telling him, as he inspected it and wiped away gunk, that the guy needed to clean his pistol after shooting it.

I would have been embarrassed to hand a dirty weapon to a gunsmith or armored. I can't believe people give you dirty weapons. Now, I understand why the gunsmith I had look at my P938 couldn't believe it had 4700 rounds through it when I handed it too him a few months ago to look at what I'd thought was a peened firing pin (it was actually a piece of primer stuck in the firing pin hole, by the way). I guess he would have expected more gunk in it.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
There was an LGS in Kaliforniastan, which used to have a Glock Day every year. Besides promotional sales, they'd have a Glock certified armorer in there to inspect and repair/replace parts if needed, all for free. While I was waiting to have him look at my G21, I remember him looking at another guy's weapon and telling him, as he inspected it and wiped away gunk, that the guy needed to clean his pistol after shooting it.

I would have been embarrassed to hand a dirty weapon to a gunsmith or armored. I can't believe people give you dirty weapons. Now, I understand why the gunsmith I had look at my P938 couldn't believe it had 4700 rounds through it when I handed it too him a few months ago to look at what I'd thought was a peened firing pin (it was actually a piece of primer stuck in the firing pin hole, by the way). I guess he would have expected more gunk in it.
It's unbelievable the shit shows for guns I have had to deal with. I have guys that bring in their guns regularly just so I can clean them. Its $75 so it ain't cheap. But it gets a good going through and they know it works. Real so called gunsmiths are cheaper but I haven't ran into one that is worth a shit here. They over charge for basic shit. Dont do actual checks. They are glorified parts swapping fools.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
It's unbelievable the shit shows for guns I have had to deal with. I have guys that bring in their guns regularly just so I can clean them. Its $75 so it ain't cheap. But it gets a good going through and they know it works. Real so called gunsmiths are cheaper but I haven't ran into one that is worth a shit here. They over charge for basic shit. Dont do actual checks. They are glorified parts swapping fools.
I can't believe people pay someone else to clean their guns for them. Then again, there's a gun cleaning service advertised at the LGS/range nearby here, so I guess it really is kind of common. I wonder if it has to do with the creeping lack of mechanical handiness on the part of more of today's population. It isn't exactly hard to tear down a weapon and wipe off some gunk, but maybe it really IS that hard for some.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can't believe people pay someone else to clean their guns for them. Then again, there's a gun cleaning service advertised at the LGS/range nearby here, so I guess it really is kind of common. I wonder if it has to do with the creeping lack of mechanical handiness on the part of more of today's population. It isn't exactly hard to tear down a weapon and wipe off some gunk, but maybe it really IS that hard for some.
Kind of like why do fat people pay people to mow their yards???????????

Reactions: Think1st

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just let it soak a few minutes in non-chlorinated brake cleaner, use a tooth brush on it, do it again, let it dry, spray it with GT85, let it dry, put it back together, and shoot it.....if you have ammo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts