First Camp Out of the year

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by IBCW, Apr 13, 2014.

1. IBCW

IBCW Member Member

Had a good time....tried a few new things.....upside down fire...(Worked great) Solar string lights...(A bit dim, but burned all night) Camp perimeter trip wire alarms..(Easy setup.....worked great...though nothing bothered us during the night) :)

Attached Files:

2. Rerun

Rerun Member

Looked like fun!

Wish I could have joined ya'll!

Where'd ya'll go and camp?

What kind of food preps did ya'll have? Typical home products, or campy kinds of foods?

eldar

3. IBCW

IBCW Member Member

We camped on some family property...I had worked on the site for many weekends.....getting it ready.
    We actually cooked chicken pot pie and blackberry cobbler using cast iron pots. For breakfast I just had
    some Mountain house blueberry and granola.

4. Nice site. I have something like that down by the river. Still a bit early (soggy and still some snow in the woods) here and the river is high, fast, and cold. I like your set-up. Gotta get my son to get his kids down there.

5. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

i'm curious about the upside down fire. a time-lapse photo set of it would have been nice. try thinking of us a little more next time...:p

6. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Google, or in my case, Bing, is your friend.....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjBfzyz-xM8[/ame]

7. IBCW

IBCW Member Member

Lol....yeah....alot of info on the net about this technique....only thing that I would've done differently is space out the bottom layer a bit more for air flow...other than that....it worked fine....and lasted awhile.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  8. IBCW

IBCW Member Member

Another video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LijeaNpG-s[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  9. bluebone

most of the friends i camp with are just to damn impatient. they are constantly stirring up the logs and coals and repositioning the wood. it drives me crazy. they keep losing that mesmerizing effect by stirring it up all the time.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Maybe that's because they don't want to be mesmerized, but instead want a good pile of cooking coals, or some nice flames to burn some marshmallows.

11. bluebone

*sigh*...so you must be one of 'them'...:p

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Why, yes. Yes I am.:D

13. IBCW

IBCW Member Member

If I poke at the fire, it's to liven it up a bit and get it to stop smoking so much....I'm not a serial "Play with the Fire" person. lol

14. desertrider

desertrider Member

I need to make time to go camping, haven't been in a couple of years now.

Never heard of/ considered an upside down fire, makes sense for setting under a dutch oven though.

Looks like you guys had a great time.

15. A Dutch oven gets hot ashes and coals over the cover, low heat underneath. You don't burn the biscuits that way. :)

16. IBCW

IBCW Member Member

Nothing like being out in nature, got sung to sleep by a whippoorwill and frogs....heard all kinda critter noises over the course of the stay....and some I could not identify. lol

17. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I 're-start' my summer employment next Tuesday (4/15) at the Lake Cascade Park & Recs. We have around 236 campsites in 9 different campgrounds around the lake, plus several day use areas. We get a sh*t-load of people camping here! Literally!!

18. desertrider

desertrider Member

Oh.

Ya mean like this?;) This is my "poor mans" dutch oven-oven.:D

[​IMG]

19. Yes. I can only imagine what you have in there. mmmm

20. AS6

AS6 Legible in My Own Mind Member

IBCW,

Tell me about your camp perimeter trip wire alarms. Did you build them? How loud are they? Has anything other than testing ever set them off?