First cleaning

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by SEP, Oct 31, 2015.

1. SEP

SEP SEP Board Member

I figure the used 995TS I purchased should be cleaned. I put around 250+ rounds through it when I took it to the range. The guy I bought it from figured he'd put 100 rounds through it but you never know. Plus it would be the first time I've broken down a HP carbine and was curious how easy/difficult it would be.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised and found it pretty easy to takedown. It was dirty to be sure. Both the barrel and feed ramp took some time to get clean. But I found that encouraging in that I now know it will still work properly even when filthy. I like that.

Now that I know how to take them down I'll be able to teach my son how to take down his own 995TS.

Also gave me the opportunity to attach a light mount and Convoy S2+ light to my 995TS. Worked well so I ordered two more mounts of a different design so that I can attach an SK68 to one and an SK98 to the other. I'll give my son the choice of which one he wants for his 995TS. Both are very bright lights with a nice flood-to-focus. I have an SK98 mounted on my Mossberg and like it quite a bit.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I usually just run a bore snake through mine, blast some synthetic safe gun scrubber into the action, mop it out, blow it out with a compressor, wipe it down, and call it good.

If I get bored, I'll pop the cover off the top, and wipe more out.

But that's about all I've ever done. I've taken the parts apart just for fun, but see no reason to do a full disassembly until things stop...and they haven't.

Of course, mine are for fun, not SD/HD. If they were, I'd certainly be a bit more serious about things.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

I think HP only recommends a full breakdown after every 1500 rounds or so.

Even that's too often. I bore snake it every time i use it, but breakdown? Eh. At over 9k rounds on my 4595 its been fully apart twice and functions flawlessly. My 995 at 4k has been apart once only because i changed the firing pin.

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I clean every time but that's not the norm for HP. If I don't shoot a gun for a long time I do a quick clean. OCD on guns thanks Army

5. SEP

SEP SEP Board Member

Same way for me due to being an instructor for my agency. Plus it gave me the opportunity to learn the proper way of taking the weapon down which is always good knowledge to have.

:)

6. elt51932

elt51932 Member

I'm the same way. I prefer to prevent a malfunction as apposed to fixing it. All my finds get cleaned after a range trip, I don't care if I only fired one round. I also clean them before hand if I haven't used them in a while. My edc gets cleaned every other week if I can't make it to the range before hand.

7. moona11

OCD on cleaning a gun is not a bad thing. Clean the complete once over to ensure all parts are fine and a functions check with dummy rounds.

8. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Yeah, it really isn't that difficult to it break down. A pad down the barrel of any new gun. And especially on a brand new gun.
    You want to remove any slag that might be hanging around any of the steel inserts of a HP. Releave any possible later problems.

9. elt51932

elt51932 Member

Any new gun should be cleaned before you fire it for the first time. Not only to get the factory grease out, but to ensure that everything looks good with no burs that need taken care of. Plus it helps you familiarize yourself with the firearm.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  10. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Wait, What!!
    You're supposed to clean the Carbines?

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

Except for when even the factory says that's not necessary.

12. moona11

True. But if you clean and inspect it before shooting it you can ensure no issues and get the metal shavings and factory grease out making cleaning easier down the road.

13. elt51932

elt51932 Member

Took the words right out of my mouth lol

14. elt51932

elt51932 Member

I think most of the problems people have with any gun,is they don't Clean and inspect them properly.

15. SEP

SEP SEP Board Member

I think the take home message is that the weapon is built well enough that it can shoot a lot before needing to be cleaned...

BUT

...initial inspection/cleaning and frequent cleaning or cleaning after shooting doesn't harm the weapon in any way. Plus it's good to be very familiar with the weapon anyway.

16. elt51932

elt51932 Member

Pretty much sums it up.