First day of summer vacation

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Jun 5, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Ok, so my daughter's last day of school was yesterday.

I took today and Monday off.

Today we went grabbed some lunch and the fishing gear and headed to Presque Isle State Park.

After lunch, we hit the fishing pond. Mostly blue gill and crappie. They have a cool little bridge that leads to a gazebo type dock out on the pond, perfect to take children to.

My 11 year old loves fishing, the 3 year old has never been.

Got her her own fishing pole last week. Field & Stream had Frozen poles on sale for $10.

She "caught" her first fish today. It was great. I caught it, but gave her the pole and had her reel it in. She was pretty excited. More pics later, the wife took some with her good camera.

After, we walked over to the beach for a few minutes just because (water WAY too cold to swim) then stopped for ice cream.

Attached Files:

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Looks like you all had a good, fun day. I had today off and went to the range. You might need a few more of those fish to make a meal. :D

3. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

A fun day with the kids, is way better than a great day at work!!
    Before moving to N.C. We used to spend allot of Sunday afternoons goofing off at PISP, before heading over to the dirt track.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

"This is my fishing pole, there are many like it but this one is mine...."

Cool pics !!!

5. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I grew up fishing, we fed ourselves 2-3 days a week in summer with fish caught on the weekends! Started with bullheads, then bigger catfish, then we got 2 boats... with 7 people we could bring home a lot of fish in a day.

6. tallbump

I have to admit, the one I caught, in the pic above, was caught with a

Hannah Montana fishing pole. It was my oldest daughter's, which got passed down to the 11 year old.

She got bored and went to the playground. It had the smallest hook, so I used that one

7. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

My dad used pink fishing poles multiple times when my sisters would get bored and start playing in the water.

I use a 1980's Ugly Stick for river fishing, and a mid 90's lighter Ugly Stick for trolling.

8. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Good times with the kids are the best times. They grow up so very fast.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Funny thing, my first day off this summer was Friday, took the grandkids fishing. The 11 year old caught a 10 inch walleye, the younger ones caught nothing...but they DID start actually casting lures in the correct direction, and more than ten feet out, so it was a significant win, in my book. It's funny, they start out wanting you to cast for them, then they see the older brother doing it on his own, so they have to, as well.

The best thing about those silly cartoon poles is, they make an 8 inch fish feel big.:p. If I'm not fly fishing, I do a LOT of fishing with ultra lite gear, like 4.5-5 foot poles, using 4-6 lb line, they aren't much different, really. You hook up with a 17 inch brown or a mature walleye or rainbow, and you'll have a fight on your hands, and you have to finesse it, they'll break you off if you get aggressive.

10. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

My favorite trout/yellow perch rig....

Fenwick Eagle 5.3" one-piece graphite rod... (no longer made)
    Pflueger President 6920 (5.9 oz)...
    loaded with Power Pro microfilament 8lb test (1lb dia.) Spectra®Fiber line.

Talk about a blast when you hook into a 14" or bigger rainbow! :hyper:

11. Hermitt

Two years ago.... my grand daughter's first fish when she was 4.....

Attached Files:

12. Hermitt

What she thought of it after she said that she wanted to cook and eat it! :rofl:

Attached Files:

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I feel the same way about trout mostly. I'd much rather eat the perch or crappie Tallbump's kid caught, or some walleye.:)

I actually use a lot of barbless hooks, makes it easier letting the trout go.;)

But that's hard for kids to use.

14. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Now that's funny..... I'm about the same way. I'll eat fried walleye, or fried catfish, if it's good white meat.... Other than that, I gotta be real hungry, or drunk to eat fish.

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Trout, salmon etc BLECH smells like cat food! Northern pike, walleye, panfish, flathead catfish...

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

There was an awesome place in Stockton MO, by Stockton lake, that had walleye Wednesday's.... Only place I'd ever go voluntarily to eat fish.

17. histed

histed Supporting Member

Looks like fun "Dad"!! Enjoy the heck out of it. Next time you look, she'll be 35 (but hopefully still fishin' with you). Mine are grown and gone, no grandkids (long story) and I miss those times. Thanks for sharing.

18. Hermitt

My favorite fis are Cabezoni and Lingcod! I used to scuba dive/spearfish for those when I lived in Comi.

Cabezon
    [​IMG]

Lingcod...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  19. tallbump

Well, since I had Friday off in honor of the 4th, I took today off to have another 4 day weekend.

The wife stayed home to work on a project, so I took the girls fishing again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I spent most of the time untangling my 3 year old's line and neither of us caught anything.

Very proud of Mackenzie though. She was baiting her own hook and did her own thing.

She actually caught something. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Fishing can be wonderfully frustrating....