Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally broke down and became an "adult" and bought a handgun. I figure at 35 I might as well keep the family tradition going by owning a firearm. Grandpa was a hunter and love his rifles. Dad has a small arsenal. Even mom has a pearl handled .38. Found a gunsmith that had two HiPoints for sale. A .40 and .45 OD Green. I went for the 45. Nice and heavy. Feels natural in my hands. Being my first real gun I'm nervous yet I feel great about my choice. I dont have any ammo yet as I need suggestions. Cabelas here in town is having a sale on PMC .45 ACP 230gr rounds. 50 for $19.99 or Magtech 150 rounds for $25. Any suggestions? Should I also take a handgun class at the local range?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Welcome. Both the PMC and the Magtech should work fine. I've never used PMC but the bullet design on them is good for the 45ACP. I've shot a couple hundred rounds of 230g Magtech without any problems. Sounds like the Magtech is the better buy? As long as you stick with the 230g 2R (round nose) you should be fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I plan on taking one this Thursday. Its a 3 hour basics class with some range time and ammo for $60. I'm sure I will get looks when I pull out my OD Green Hi-Point.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
:welcome: you sure will pull in the looks!

Way to follow the family tradition!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I almost exclusively use PMC 9mm with no problems whatsoever. I don't know anything about their other calibers, but I assume its all pretty much the same as far as materials and production process is concerned.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! Understandable to be a bit nervous at first, but the more you work with the gun, the more comfortable you will become. The key is to lose your fear of the gun without losing your respect for it. And I agree with the gun course... price is good, and you may learn a lot.

BTW, you might want to go ahead and load the magazine and let it sit for a couple of weeks to condition the spring... it may help reduce failure to feed problems that some of us have experienced.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Congrats! Make sure you use a firm wrist and elbow when firing. The kick is not bad at all, but it is a blowback pistol, which means it uses the pressure from the fired round to cycle the next round. Poor shooting mechanics( limpwristing) can sometimes cause cycling problems. But I'm sure they will cover that in your class.

G

·
Congrats on your purchase. I am a proud owner of the .45 and love the way it shoots. The only ammo I have had problems with is steel cased, i.e. Wolf .45 steel case. These are a constant, all other ammo I have tried worked great. Have fun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all. I signed up for the class last night. They told me to bring my gun and they will have range ammo for the shooting mechanics portion. I told them I bought a HP .45 and the guy said thats pretty big for your first gun. I told him I have pretty big hands and this wont be my CC gun. Just range and home.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
:welcome:

I'm still a newbie myself but have alittle HP experience now. I have put all different kinds of ammo through my 45 and never had 1 issue. The only problem was when my 105 lbs wife was shooting it and limp wristed it. I let it slide since the gun weighs more than her arm :D

Get ready to be addicted. I bought my 45 2 weeks before Christmas and now am the proud father of a 999 and c-9 as well. Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These forums are super informative. Just have a quick question about grips. I searched and I think I understand that a Hogue Handall 1700 will fit the JHP? Am I correct in that assumption? Also, I got my ammo! Magtech 230g. I will let it sit in the mag until my class on Thursday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great to hear! Also, eventhough you are keeping the mag full until Thursday, it is good to just load 7 in the mag for your first few hundred rounds. I did that for the first 500 and have yet to have a FTF or FTL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts