First firearm

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by noemad, May 21, 2008.

1. noemad

noemad Member

Ohio
    I am 32 years old i stand 6' and weigh in around 260.I am a pretty big guy but i have smaller hands,would you recommend the hi-point 9mm as my first firearm?I have done a lot of research on here and various other internet sites and have come to the conclusion that i must own a Hi-point and decide for myself on their quality and reliability.The gun would be mainly for range uses until i am comfortable enough with it to make a decision on whether or not i want to go for a CCW.Thanks for any and all input.I have found a local dealer where i can pickup a 9mm for 139.99

2. hobo

hobo Guest

Welcome to the forum. I think you’ll find you’re in the right place to ask all the questions you’ll invariably have along your journey. There are a lot of helpful and experienced people here.

IMHO, the C9 would be a perfect starter gun (and beyond) for a person of your stature. And at that price for a new one it's a steal. You'll have plenty of money left over for extra 10-round mags, lots of ammo and another HP in a few months. It’s a sickness.

P.S. Make sure you post up some pics when you get it home.

3. noemad

noemad Member

Ohio
    Thanks for the info hobo,i am pretty excited about becoming a hi-point owner.I guess being in Ohio helps to get a "steal" on these firearms.They have listed the 380-$129.99, 9mm-$139.99,and the 40 or 45-$149.99 as well as the 9mm Carbine-$159.99.I have read a lot on this site about the "break in" period for these firearms,is this factual information?I am guessing i am going to have to leave a loaded clip for a period of 2 weeks to get proper performance out of it,then a few hundred rounds through the 9 itself to get it good and broken in.Thanks again for your help, i guess now i just have to decide between the 9 and the 45,the 45 looks real nice but so does the 9.I will let ya all know what i decide and hopefully post up some pics when i get her.

4. In a word, YES!!!! It is affordable, simple to operate, reliable, and is very easy to maintain. Just swab the barrel after every outing, and after a thousand rounds a tear down. Hi point will even do this for you. If you do not like it, you could easily sell the firearm only loosing 40 bucks or so on the purchase. Ammo for 9mm is cheap and plentiful, and with the heavy blow back design, the recoil won't wear out your wrist after extended shooting sessions. Plus you have stumbled upon a great resource and a very helpful community in the hi point forum if anything does go wrong.

SV

5. hobo

hobo Guest

I can't be too much help when it comes to picking between the C9 and JHP45... I have both. They're both a blast to shoot but have different personalities, kind of like dating a female football player or dating a female sumo wrestler. :shock: I think based on what you've told us the 9mm may be a better choice for three reasons;

1. It's substantially smaller (and also lighter) than the .45. It might make the difference between having fun and not if you have smallish hands.

2. It seems to be less intimidating than the .45 because of the two things above so you may be more likely to go shoot the heck out of it.

3. Ammo is a bunch cheaper. Believe me, it's real easy to go to the range and burn up a few hundred rounds in just a couple of hours and that's a lot more expensive shooting the .45.

My first HP was a C9 that I've had for about two months and 2500 rounds now. As for the break-in period, as pretty much a newbie myself, I just followed the guidance of the more experienced members of this forum and had no substantial problems. Then I purchased extra magazines to modify to my liking, polished the feed ramp per the instructions on this forum and concentrated on not limp wristing. It works great... And the .45 is maybe better.

I love them both. Different but equal. Like having kids. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion and experience. As they say, your results may vary.

6. If you are a big guy with big hands, the JCP40 or the JHP45 may be better choices as far as holding the pistols.

Try to find a gun shop somewhere that has them and see how they feel in your hand before buying.

No matter which one you buy you will enjoy shooting it. Just remember that limp wristing is worse on the larger calibers.

7. Welcome to the site friend. I am about 5'7" and a 160 pounds. Needless to say I am not a beast by any means. My first pistol was a Hi-Point JCP .40. I have no problems shooting it what so ever. I purchases a hogue grip and recommend them to every one. I think the C-9 would be a awesome first pistol and small hands or not, you will have no problems with comfort and controllability. Even though I bought the .40 I plan on buying the C-9 this week if I can find one.

8. Crap missed the smaller hands comment noemad, sorry about that.

The C9 would indeed make a good pistol for you.

Im on a roll today it seems. :shock:

9. I'm also a bigger guy, but also have somewhat larger (though not huge) hands. I found that the naked C9 was a great fit.

On a marginally related matter, many -- myself included -- don't care for the slipperiness of the factory grips. I previously used undercoater, which didn't change the fit, but which dissolves with Gun Scrubber. I switched to a Hougue grip, but it's pretty fat.

My expectation, therefore: you'll love the basic C9, but if you feel a need to correct the slippy stuff, you may need to experiment.

Good luck!

10. noemad

noemad Member

Ohio
    Well i dont know why,but when the guy at the shop called in my info he told me i was "delayed".I have no idea why this would be.I think maybe when i was 18 or 19 i had an assault charge that was dropped(it was all a misunderstanding and when i explained it to the guy he dropped the charges),could this be the reason even though it was roughly 14 years ago?he said i could call back tomorrow to check the status,but that just ruined my day.

11. Dean0659

Dean0659 Member

Ohio
    I'm 5' 9" with average hands and I bought the C-9 and the .40. I like them both but my favorate is th C-9. I also have put on a hogue grips because of the slippery factory grips. With the hogue grips it felt fat at first but after getting used to it I love it now. No matter which one you buy you'll be aa happy camper.

12. hi, hope the delay deal works out.

I had my very first hand gun ever, 18 months ago. I bought two C-9s, one for me, and one for my son so we could shoot together. I wanted an inexpensive starting point - got that. I knew NOTHING about guns so didn't know to ask about reliability, etc. - but got that. I'm cheap, so I wanted something bigger than .22 and not expensive to shoot - 9MM does that.

You can shoot a 9MM and practice your brains out for reasonable $$. That to me is more important than bigger caliber. After you figure out what you're doing, then maybe stepping up (as I view it). With the right ammo, a 9MM can do a good bit of what a 40 or 45 can do for self defense - NOT ALL, but most.

I do have a 40 and love shooting it, and it's store hot ready to protect me and the family if I need it. But I shoot 9MM 95% of the time, and learned most of what I know on it. That's my reco and why.

13. noemad

noemad Member

Ohio
    After a 3 day delay i got a call saying come pick up your purchase.Once there I was OTD with C9,Pistol case,cleaning kit,and 100 rds of PMC ammo for $194 and some change.Went home loaded up my mag to wait on what i had read would be a 2 week process of allowing the magazine to sit and kind of break in.In all my excitement to form a proper opinion of the C9 i could barely wait a full day.Less than 24 hours later i was at the range, i ran all 100 rounds through it with only 1 FTFeed and 1 FTE.I gotta say i am extremely impressed and now i must own them all,including the carbines eventually.My only beef was that Ohio Valley Outdoors was out of the Large Hogue grips,but after looking at the Butler Creek models....maybe it's a sign.

14. nice, i'm glad to see there is one more fellow hp lover.

15. Excellent! Good for you my friend.

16. I use a section of bicycle inner tube stretched over the grip. Great improvement to grip, and durable as well. No increase in grip dimensions.
    Oh, and don't forget cheap :wink:

17. And I forgot the post my tube grip with the NEWSKATE-NUB!

[​IMG]

18. noemad

noemad Member

Ohio
    Well i was going to wait til i got a grip for it, but here are some before shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta say i am absolutely in love with this baby.

19. Hey, Noemad, beware of Hi-Point-itis! This uncontrollable urge to buy another and buy another and buy another and buy another and buy another and buy another and buy another and ... 8)

20. Corelogik

Corelogik Member

I have to second the inner tube grip sleeve. Best $5 I ever spent on a gun. It fits, it solves the slippery problem and it adds absolutely no bulk at all. Best news is, wal-mart ALWAYS has inner tubes.