first gun! 40 s&w JCP

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Brando, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Brando

Brando Member

first off im brando! Im from texas and just ordered my first handgun: the JCP. My reason for buying this model is that I am in college and im engaged so im broke, but i wanted a firearm to keep in my truck for self defense and take to the range every so often. I like the .40 due to the knock down power and its just so dang accessible to buy.

So with this being my first gun what all should i know about it and whatall should i do to it? I plan on getting 3 or 4 more mags, a joey trigger and a hogue grip. Ammo wise what do yall suggest for me to buy for target and to keep for self defense? what about aluminum cased ammo?

also any links for how to polish the slide would be cool i like the 2 tone of the 380's!

Thanks
    brando

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

Welcome from Florida!

I have the JCP also, kick @ss gun! Many things you can do to, I haven't done anything except paint the grips with rubber paint so I get a better stick to it. If I do anything, it will be getting the Mahan sights.
    http://www.mahansights.com/
    I got mine because of the price also, it will do the same job a $2000 gun will do. Enjoy.

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

WELCOME from the home state of Hi Point!

4. Brando

Brando Member

Im new to handguns in general, what all benefits do those sites give over stock?

5. bluharley

bluharley Member

The are steel for one. The stock plastic sites reportedly wander over time, requiring a need to sight it in again. I don't shoot mine enough to warrant the $40, but I'd like them anyway.

6. State abbreviation, HP... capitol, Awesomeville.. population, not enough! lol :D

Welcome to the thread author! A little advice, recommended not to use reloads, steel (aluminum) casing, or Winchester White Box FMJ's. Paint your grips and you'll be happy with the outcome and can choose so many different colors. Personalize it to your liking. I like the ghost sight but agree that it may need adjusting after some time. If you run into mag trouble, look on here for ideas to fix them. Enjoy your gun, you made a good choice.

7. Also Brando, I wouldn't polish the slide. You're taking the protection off of the metal. Just my opinion, but I'd paint that too if you're really looking for a change. Get some shiny or metallic paint and roll with it. Good luck!

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    It's a zinc alloy so it won't rust if exposed. Will tarnish over time but can be re-polished easily.

9. Brando

Brando Member

awesome! do you suggest just a fine grit sand paper to get it polished?

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    There's several threads on the subject. Poke around a bit.

11. True, I remember from my C9 post. I just like not having to worry about the discoloring though, if it happens.

But to Brando, cicpup is right, it's an alloy and will only require minimal upkeep as long as you keep it lightly oiled through use. Tips on sanding... start with about 180 to get the powder coat off, then go with light sanding up to about 500 or so. 500+ will give it a super gleam with no visible imperfections. Make sure you do it lightly to reduce the effect of swirls and streaks. Sand in one direction with the length of the slide and you should be good. You can even add a clear coat over the metal after sanding to give it extended resistance to tarnishing. Good luck!

12. Brando

Brando Member

Thanks for all the info guys! Also wandering what cleaning supplies should I get?

13. A standard gun cleaning kit that fits your caliber. You can by caliber specific or they sell sets that work with array of firearms if ever you think you might buy another gun in the future. Also, instead of buying little cleaning swatches, an old t-shirt or sock will work just fine and will last a while. You can cut them down into small squares for tight areas and the barrel. Small pipe cleaners work good too for hard to reach places. I also use Hoppe's #9 cleaner/lubricant.

14. bluharley

bluharley Member

15. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Welcome to the forum, Brando. You say you're a student on a low budget. Lots of folks have low budgets for various reasons. Without the Hi-Point option, getting a low-cost, dependable centerfire pistol might not happen for many people who need something for self defense and target shooting.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'm not sure where you got all that from.

The "don't use WWB bulk packs" was an official recommendation back in the day. But reloads and steel or aluminum....the HP's have no problems there, for most people.

Each gun is different. Try various ammo types, find what works well, stick with it.

17. I got that straight from Mom when they sent back my repaired 45 about a month ago. Was in their shipping box on a strip of paper and they actually highlighted it too. Apparently, they are still expressing that those types of ammo can cause issues. The biggest point they made was the WWB has many inconsistencies in round length during manufacturing. Just passing on what HP relayed to me not too very long ago.

18. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

JCP mags

You'll always love your JCP. Just a word about JCP mags: when new they want to hold the rounds slightly nose down which can cause nose dive jams. Make sure the top round is at the proper up angle, then whack the spine of the mag against the palm of your hand to coax the other rounds nose up as well. Might fully load the mag and sit for a couple of weeks. I had to do these things when my JCP was new. Runs like a champ now on literally ANY FMJ ammo. (Have never tried any hollow point).

19. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Sounds like a good addition to the FAQ that I'm a cooking up. :)

20. Brando

Brando Member

well I got my JCP from my FFL today! I'm really impressed with it... It didn't have as much snap as some 9mm I've shot and it felt like a dream to shoot! I haven't had any FTF at all. Only complaint is the grip, as soon as I find a houge grip I'll slip it on and I'm sure I'll be happy:) I think i might be hooked... Now I want a c9 and a 9mm carbine plus the .45 is pretty neat... And I like the compensated .380...

Any good experiences with 15rd mags? If so could yall "shoot" me some links?