First gun ownership tips?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by eauphalant, Nov 23, 2014.

1. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

I have gotten the hint from my step mom about my dad might give me a firearm for Xmas and I was wondering if you guys/gals could give me some pointers on gun ownership. I am already strict on safety so you know already.

Sent from my iPod touch using Hi-Point Forum

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

I sure hope your dad has taught you well about guns in general. Owning a gun is not much different than having access to a gun in your fathers home. If he has never taught you, I have to wonder about him giving you a gun.

3. You already hit it right with gun safety and practicing it forever. Another good tip my dad passed on to me is to make and keep a record of your firearms and serial numbers and store them in a small fireproof safe along with any other legal docs you have. That way if your firearms are ever stolen you the info needed to report to the police and insurance company. With today's digital cameras, take pictures showing the firearm and the SN and print it out to store in the safe.

4. The NRA sponsors a "first shots" safety class...they are very low cost, or sometimes free. Check around at your local guns shops / ranges and see if they offer that or something similar. The main thing is always handle it like it has 1 in the pipe ready to fire (even if you know it dosn't) And keep your finger OUT of the trigger guard unless you want it to go BANG....

5. rickm

rickm Member

As far as record keeping i keep a spread sheet of all info on my guns on my puter then make a copy of it to a flash drive then make 3 hard copies keep 1 in my safe then another copy in my parents safe then another in my brothers safe the chances that all 3 of our safes being involved in a fire at once is slim so i always have access to a copy of it.

6. eauphalant

eauphalant Member

I've been muzzled by people a few times and hated every bit of it so I'm really cautious about safety. How often do you guys/gals clean your guns?

Sent from my iPod touch using Hi-Point Forum

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

If it's a Rifle, take an NRA "FIRST Steps - Rifle" class. Pistol, take an NRA "FIRST Steps - Pistol" class. At the minimum. Maybe Basic Rifle or Basic Pistol, which are a little more in depth than FIRST Steps classes.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I don't make it to the range as often as I'd like, so I tend to clean my guns when I get home from the range. Whether it was 500 rounds, or just 5, I clean them regardless; never know when I'll take it to the range again

9. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Like everyone else has said,here basically everyone takes the state's hunter's safety course.

But as a motorcyclist I always reccomend a state or otherwise sponsored course, even if it's just your local range's course.

Mostly while someone you know might have a certain amount of common sense and experience with guns, like motorcycling, learning from a friend or relative, they usually pass on their bad habits and bad info when teaching somebody else.

10. bluharley

bluharley Member

Funny thing, as a motorcyclist, you reminded me of when I took my road test in Colorado. The DMV guy stood on the corner, I pulled out of the parking lot, turned the corner, pulled back into the parking lot, and parked. PASSED! Guess things are different these days!

11. lsi1

lsi1 Member

potentially bad habits are passed on by every trainer/instructor no matter the level of experience because everyone teaches the same class material in a different way..

There are 4 basic rules
    1. your gun is ALWAYS loaded. this means even if you know its empty you check it again.
    2. keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to fire.
    3. be aware of your target and whats beyond it.
    4. never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy.

store it safely out of the reach of small children. make sure that everyone you live with knows the basic 4 rules of gun safety.

I have guns i clean absolutely every time i take them to the range and i have a particular 22 rifle that is mid torture test with 500 rounds through without a cleaning(this is not a gun that i would choose to protect my home and family if it were it would be cleaned lubed and inspected regularly.). Depending on where you live you may need to wipe the firearm down ocasionally with oikl or some other rust preventative.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    In Oregon, late '70's, it was all in the parking lot. Run up through at least three gears, stop. Turn around, do a figure eight on the painted marks in the lot, straighten up, stop. Done!

Cleaning means different things.

Every range trip I run a bore snake on centerfires and pistols, do a decent wipe down and oil up. A Centerfire semi gun, I take out and clean the bolt, chamber and action. Bolt guns, same thing, but less tear down, as they tend to be cleaner.

Bad weather (gun gets wet) means full tear down.

If I see any issues in operation or accuracy, it's time for a disassembly and major cleaning.

Rimfires...only if accuracy or function falls off.

SD guns...full tear down after range session or whenever I feel like it's been a while.

13. menhir

menhir Member

Another avid motorcyclist here....

Yes, take the NRA firearms safety course as soon as you can.
    I was riding for several years before I took the motorcycle safety course, and when I did, I learned things I didn't know that I didn't know.

I took the same approach to firearms safety. Even though I grew up in a family of police officers and hunters and was taught firearms safety since before I was allowed to handle one, I still took the NRA firearms safety course when one became available.

I'll add another tip to the ones already given...

I don't know how young you are, but never let your friends touch or have access to your firearm.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yes, yes, yes!

Except maybe at the range. Maybe.;)

15. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

As with my bike, I decide who touches my guns based on how they handle and treat their own bikes/guns and base my decision on whether or not they use my stuff on that...applies to letting people try out or borrow anything really.

16. Even tho it is tempting to show your new firearm off to your friends, be very cautious about doing so. The less people that know about your guns the better. Only show your most trusted people....and think twice about that;)

17. I clean my firearms after they have been shot. Usually I'll clean the barrel's bore to remove any lead or copper left from the bullet and powder residue and wipe the gun down with Rusteprufe to remove salt and fingerprints and prevent rust from forming. I also run a patch down the bore with the same after cleaning. Very effective on blued receivers and barrels.

I also don't discuss to anyone other than some very close friends or my Dad what guns I own, nor do I put up warning signs or door mats reflecting that my home is defended by a firearm or display my NRA sticker on my vehicle even tho I'm a supporter and member. It just invites a break in.

Invest in a good cleaning kit and a bore light!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014