First pistol - Cf 380

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Kyu, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

Hi all,
    So I finally bit the bullet (no pun intended) and added a CF380 to my collection about a week ago. Having now put more than 300 rounds down range I am more impressed than ever! I used to sell Hi-points when I worked at a sporting goods store about 10 years so knew exactly what I wanted when I decided I needed a handgun. So why a 380 you may ask? I have no idea. It just felt right! Hope to add a C9 and 995 soon. Speaking of, any one know if the clips on the Cf380, C9, and 995 are interchangeable?

cheers,
    Kyu

2. Welcome to the forum, the mags may be interchangeable for the 380 and C9, but Hi Point frowns on using the C9 mags in the 995 carbine and vise versa.

Some people have done it with no problems, others have reported problems trying to do it.

3. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

Thanks for the info. Any idea about the 40 SW-B and the 4095? I realize that the ballistics of a .380 and a 9mm are almost identical so I am not set on that round. I do, however, like the idea of the carbine and the sidearm sharing the same mag.

cheers,
    Kyu

4. I have the 4095 carbine and the 40JCP pistol, and I really like both of them, and like you said being able to share mags is a plus.

Plus the 40 cal carbine has the last round bolt hold open feature, and at this time the 995 carbine does not

5. Except for about one third more projectile weight and about one third more velocity...

The ballistics of the .380 are quite inferior to the 9mm Parabellum. Check for yourself.

6. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

I'm a physicist. I actually ran the experiment.

7. Welcome and congrats on the purchase

8. Nerd.

Welcome the fold and on your purchase. We'll need to see pictures at some point, cause...... er...... well....... that's what we do!

[ ChE here, so I'm allowed to call you a Nerd btw. :lol: :lol: ]

9. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's one of the funniest replies I've ever seen on any forum! Put that in your sig line, and welcome to the forum!

11. makarovnik

makarovnik Member

The 9mm luger is significantly more powerfull than the .380acp. I still like the .380acp because for me all my .380's seem to be more accurate than my 9mm's. It may be because most .older 380's use a fixed barrel design and most 9mm lugers use a tilting barrel. Of course all Hi-Points use a fixed barrel which is why the slide is so massive.

I wish they would slim down the slide a little on the Hi-Point .380. My Hi-Point .380 is more reliable than my Hi-Point 9mm luger. I think it may be because the .380's stack straighter while the 9mm lugers tend to want to stack curved (in the magazine). 9mm lugers have a tapered wall, .380's don't.

I'm sure you'll love your .380. Milder recoil and the slide is easier to rack and with the less powerful round your gun will take less of a beating. One bummer is .380 ammo cost more (usually).

12. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

the HP 380 is a great handgun. It was the first HP I purchased. Like it very much. As mentioned by another member, it can be an expensive little pistol for plinking as 380 ammo is generally pricey.

13. urotu

urotu Member

WOO HOO!!! Another .380 shooter, I love mine. It's been a great little gun. I just pulled her out ther other night for cleaning as a matter of fact.

I'll look for something else in 9mm too, but I prefer the .380.

14. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

put another 200 rounds down range tonight. after 500 rounds I am happy to report 0 problems. that makes me happy! I did try installing th ghost ring and am rather impressed with the results. I am right handed but left eyed and it seems the ghost ring makes things much easier (all my rifles have peep sites so maybe it's just me). Anyone else have the same affliction and find the ghost ring works better for you?

cheers,
    Kyu

15. I started with the .380 and then added the c9. I love both guns. Both guns were equally accurate for me. The .380 was just too expensive on ammo, but it's a great gun.

A LEO buddy told me that a .380 with JHP's is a good Self-Defense round.

16. urotu

urotu Member

I use ghost sites too, I like 'em beter than the open. Seems I can aim a bit faster with them. That's just me though.

17. I'd like to see a pic from the rear with the ghost sights if anyone has or can get one...

18. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

The .380 was the first HP I chose to buy as well. It's a great shooter, I have hundreds of rounds through it and I still have yet to jam this weapon. Some don't realize it, but it's very important to push each round to the rear of the mag, and then tap the back end of the mag a few times against your palm to help seat the ammo to the rear. Do this and you'll have flawless shooting. I do this with every mag I put in my HP .380 and my C9!

I now own several HP models, and the .380 has become one of my bedside, or upper kitchen cabinet guns. It's just getting too expensive to target practice with. My C9 is much cheaper to shoot with as is my 995. Boy I wish HP would make a .22 model (wouldn't that be great, and so easy on our pockets..?)

19. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

The price of 380 ammo was a bit for a concern for me. However, when I bought the gun (about a week ago) I was able to get 500 rounds of Independence for $45. However, in my neck of the woods (WI) I have found that it's about a buck a box difference between 380 and 9mm ammo (at least at my local Fleet Farm). And I know I can get cheep, surplus 9mm ammo which will make shooting a 9mm much more cost effective. But the 380 is just so dang much fun! And I strongly second the idea of Hi-point making a .22!