First snap caps- now live rounds

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by carryartist, Feb 25, 2016.

1. carryartist

carryartist Member

Snap cap got stuck first. Got that out- now I had to manually remove two live rounds from the gun. I think this is going back to the factory.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Bad extractor? Missing spring? Have you actually shot the gun yet, did it happen during shooting, or were you sitting in your house playing with it? What's really happening? Got pics at all?

If you are able to do basic stuff, you can get the parts for free and get it going faster.

If you aren't comfortable with that, the factory is the right call.:)

3. carryartist

carryartist Member

The sequence of events:

Snap cap stuck during dry fire. Removed with dowel rod.

Disassembled the gun to check for damage to barrel or ramp, or anything else. Looked OK, re-assembled and cycled a few rounds.

Before dry fire practice (no snap caps), cycled a round out. The round (ZQ) ejected, but the bullet was loose from the casing. There was a powder trail from the casing to the bullet. Removed the ZQ rounds from the mag, checked for damage in the chamber. Reloaded the factory mag with different brand of ammo. Cycled. OK.

Tested the cycling today. Round stuck in chamber. Removed with dowel rod and light tap. This wasn't as stuck as the snap cap. Cycled another round. Stuck again. This time the mag was stuck, too. Mag finally ejected, and I removed the stuck round in the same way as before.

I have not fired the gun yet.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Hand cycling live rounds is not recommended with the HP guns as the firing pin is the ejector...its dangerous to do so!

You need to go fire the gun. I mean absolutely, positively, you MUST fire the gun to know if there is something wrong. Hand cycling is like trying to judge how good your truck runs by pushing it up the driveway.:p

If the bullets are coming apart, chances are it's the bullets that are the issue, not the gun. I know, the snap cap was an issue too...but you STILL have to go shoot the gun to know if anything is actually wrong.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    What Brand of Snap Caps? Some have reported them being oversized,
    which is awful, but the mfg replaced it. A rough chamber might cause
    that also, but the cure? LIVE FIRE ;) :D

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    ZQi is cheap imported NATO-spec ammo from Turkey.
    Not saying it's BAD, but it might not be "as good" with
    the 6,000 mile boat ride and all of that. Check your
    other rounds before loading and/or firing.
    Someone had a box from Freedom Munitions that had
    varying OALs (over all lengths) and they replaced the
    ammo. Maybe MALL-WARTS will cover you, maybe NOT.
    I'd write the mfg.

Mole's Gang had great luck with the ZQi 9mm NATO.
    Gun Bunny used it for a bowling pin match and wanted
    MOAR!!!

Attached Files:

7. MarkWS

MarkWS Member

Be careful cycling. That firing pin is dangerous!

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

If the round is getting stuck in the chamber, including the snap caps, then there likely is something off about the chamber. I have to ask, are you, maybe, trying to cycle 9mm (aka 9x19 Parabellum, 9x19 Luger) in a .380ACP chambered gun? That could, potentially, cause the bullet to seat into the rifling, past the chamber lead.

Also, feel around in the chamber with your finger and, if you can, visually inspect the chamber. Make sure the chamber walls aren't rough, not obviously out of round, and don't have any crud. If you can, check the shoulder visually too. You can also lock the gun open (or better yet, disassemble again) and do a "plunk test." Make sure it falls deeply enough into the chamber and make sure that the bullet isn't engaging the rifling.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. carryartist

carryartist Member

OK- to clear some things up:

I have a 995 TS. I use 9mm rounds in it, obviously.

I only cycle one round. That is, I insert the magazine, cycle a round in the chamber, eject the magazine, and cycle the round out. I never try to run more than one round through manually. I found this out with the snap caps.

Call me a pu**y, but I am a little leery of firing this gun now.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Don't worry, they are built STOUT!
    Even if it blows up, you'll probably be just fine!:rofl:

But SERIOUSLY!!!

Hand cycling is NOT the way to check the gun out, it simply does not work.

Load the freaking mag, go to the range, and shoot it.

I bet it will be fine.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm not trying to offend. But I don't know you or your experience level and, even if you are very experienced, sometimes "oopsies" happen.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

If you chambered a round and it pulled the bullet when you tried to extract the round, something is bad off. My first thought was 380 chamber. Is the carbine new? They do make a 380 carbine, could a 380 barrel someway found its way in there?

Were there rifling marks on the bullet that pulled? Regardless, something is catching the bullet to pull it. I would not shoot it. I think a call to Hi Point is in order.

13. carryartist

carryartist Member

I'm probably just being too cautious. I know from experience that hand cycling can't replicate a semi-auto's more precise and powerful mechanism. I just never had rounds stuck in the chamber before.
    No offense taken at the possible .380/9mm mix up question. You were right to ask- all possibilities should be considered. To be honest, I am much more familiar with handguns and shotguns than rifles. This is my first center fire rifle.
    I'll get out and shoot as soon as possible. I would have taken it to the range already, but workload and weather have been factors. That's kinda bumming me out, actually.

14. carryartist

carryartist Member

Just talked with a :blush:Hipoint tech. He said that I needed to get out and shoot the gun.

He also said that there was no chance of the barrels being mixed up in production (.380 for 9mm), as mine was manufactured before they started making .380 carbines.

And he warned me about cycling live rounds.

15. Live round cycling in a HP is bad because the firing pin also acts as the ejector.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I said ALL of that! I could be a Hi Point Tech!!!!:chicken:

17. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I thought you were! :D

18. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Funniest damn thing I'll read all day.

19. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    It's not worth explaining irony to someone. Either you get it or you don't.