Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Hello,

Today was a very good day.

I decided to go squirrel hunting, and when I opened the door, I saw the UPS feller had been here. He brought me an Ed Brown smooth, flat MSH that went in with a minimum of fitting. I'll post about that later.

I was able to take a shot at a squirrel. I'd not seen them out of the trees, and this one was on the ground. I stalked to within a few yards, and squeezed the trigger. <click> Damn. Misfire. Remington bulk tends to do that at times.

I worked the bolt and reacquired the target. I was shooting into the sun, but I had shade from the trees. The wind kicked up and I was only able to see a blinding light and a bit of fur. I felt my shot was on, and so I took it.

I took the gray squirrel center of mass.

I don't ever feel good about gut shots. However, the squirrel expired quickly. No follow up shot was necessary.

What surprises me is the size of this squirrel. I have both fox and gray squirrel in my woods, and this is a gray. It's old enough, however, to be almost as big as the larger fox squirrel.

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Congratulations! That is one nice looking squirrel... I hope to get a mess of those this weekend, if I can make it out to the farm.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
LMAO! Nice shot dude. Don't let him go to waste.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I considered it, but it was too closed to running up a tree. I've been losing them in foliage on a regular basis, so I felt that stalking and shooting was best in this case.

After the leaves fall, I have no trouble whatsoever taking them out to 75+ yards with this rifle.

Josh <><

·
Registered
922 Posts
Nice one!! Season here is still 2 weeks awaY.....

·
Registered
927 Posts
good hunting now are you going to mount his head on your wall ?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hello,

<click> Damn. Misfire. Remington bulk tends to do that at times.
Yeah Ive had 3 FTFs all have been with remington. 1st was Remington Subsonic. Then after probably 100 rounds of 550 bulk Golden Bullet it happened twice in as many days. No worrys. Just work the action and turn the bullet so the pin hits on a different area of the casing. <BANG> every time

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice one Josh ! I get to take my 9 yo grand daughter on her first hunt saterday morning. She is so excited, and frankly so am I.
69burbon...How about a recipe for Buffalo Squirrel...sound good.
Good hunting to all !...........woody

·
Registered
922 Posts
Nice one Josh ! I get to take my 9 yo grand daughter on her first hunt saterday morning. She is so excited, and frankly so am i
Not to plug my own threadon another but get on the hunting thread and let us know how it goes. That thread has 0 hunting stories.

·
Banned
1,412 Posts
69burbon...How about a recipe for Buffalo Squirrel...sound good.
Just clean and cut the squirrel up into manageable pieces and coat in the buffalo sauce of your choice. I make my own buffalo and Hot sauce.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks to me like you missed.
A body shot??!!? :shock:
1) Squirrel was close. My 'scope has a large bell on it, so it's mounted high above the bore. My crosshairs were on its spine.

2) I was shooting into the sun. I could see a bit of fur through the sunlight, but it hurt. I could only tell it was safe to shoot due to the fact that I shoot with both eyes open, and use them independently.

3) The squirrel had spotted me. I had to shoot or lose it. I hunt to save on groceries, so I took the shot.

4) I hit it, didn't I? :D

I usually do not take body shots under 50 yards, but this was an exception.

Josh <><

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.