First time at Cabelas

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by tallbump, Apr 17, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

We're on a family vacation in Columbus. They just opened a Cabelas here last year. Closest one to me, so I had to work it into the trip :D

I liked it. As far as the store overall, I think Bass Pro is actually a little better, but Cabelas definitely has the better gun selection. Especially rifles.

Got to handle a Mosin 91/30 for the first time ever. Man those things are heavy. They wanted $169, so I won't be taking one home. I had though about getting one for an inexpensive big game gun, but now that I know how heavy they are, I changed my mind LOL

Didn't look at pistols too much because I couldn't buy one in OH since I'm from PA....well, without having shipped to an FFL.

I did see though they had Hi Points in stock, the C9 and the JHP. The JHP was actually a bit cheaper than I paid for my JCP at my LGS. :eek: Interestingly, they were in the same display cabinet as the Magnum Research Desert Eagles and such. I got a chuckle out of that.

I was hoping they would have the Mossberg 802 Plinkster so I could check them out, but no dice. I did check out a Ruger American, that will probably would I get for a big game rifle. I just really like it.

Ended up just grabbing a Mossy Oak Long sleeve T and hat for some spring turkey apparel. And a 50 rd box of .22 CCI for $5.
    I MIGHT go back before we leave depending on how much money we spend this weekend

Taking my daughters to an American Girl Doll store tomorrow....wish me luck :( :D:D:D

2. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

I've been to the one in Columbus; however, the one in Dundee, MI is like going to Disney world.

3. NWPatriot

NWPatriot Member

I'm sure it's a typo, but the Mosin's were $9? That sure would be a bargain ;) They are big, and heavy, but they're fun to have in the collection. I've got two myself and plan to hold on to them for quite a while.

I've only bought from Cabela's online so far - we don't yet have a Cabela's or Bass Pro in our area, though we're getting our first Cabela's later this year - about 20 minutes from our house. It will be nice to have one near by. Glad to hear you enjoyed your first trip inside.

4. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

i am debating buying another 91/30 so i can Bubba the hell out of it, thinking bull pup conversion as a fun project

5. Lmao, $9...;) tall your only 45-50 mins from me and right by MachoMelvin!

6. rbarna94

rbarna94 Member

Yeah 9$ and you should have been taking it home

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

7. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 Member

I'm more tactical, and Cabelas just doesn't fit with my theme.

8. More tactical than practical... Lol

9. Back2School

Back2School Member

Me I'm waiting for Cabela's to open in a mall so I can:

1) crawl there in my tricked out Jeep and park flexing on the curb to show how bad ass it is
    2) show up in my tactical black gear to show the rest of the people in the mall how bad ass I am
    3) walk my shepherd in his tactical gear so everyone can see how bad ass he is

10. tallbump

Sorry, the Mosins were $169. Yeah, wasn't paying that.

I respect tactical stuff. Bass Pro had a pretty decent selection.

I am really more into hunting, so Cabelas was great. I love the racks and racks of rifles that were just out for you to actually check out, instead of being stuck behind the counter

11. rbarna94

rbarna94 Member

Lol mall ninja

12. tallbump

Went back today :D

Almost grabbed the 300 rd ammo can of 9mm for $90...but the wife was with me :rolleyes:

Which reminds me of this sign they had....

[​IMG]

Didn't grab anything, except for a valance for the kitchen window and a sign to hang in the kitchen. We're having the kitchen repainted while we're gone and need new decor to go with the new color.

I did check out an M1. They wanted $900. It was pretty cool to hold one. Way lighter than the Mosin.

Still thinking about the Mosin and an ATI stock for hinting, but I could get a Ruger American for not much more, so still can't decide.

13. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

my hunting rifle is my ruger american, the savage is also in the same ballpark,
    for a hunting firearm do some research first
    one of my fun rifles is a 91/30

14. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I've only been to the Polaris Cabela's, so I can 't comment on other stores, but I like it.

Rural King here in Marion just got their license to sell firearms, so I'll head there to check them out someday

15. tallbump

bscar...that's the one we were in. It was pretty cool.

Forgotten...do you like the American? I have been reading about it. Checked it out both times when I was at Cabelas. I really like it.

I will probably get a Mosin someday, when I have the $ and the right deal comes around.

16. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

I love the American it's been perfect for me

17. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have been to the Cabela's in Columbus 4 times. I have yet to buy anything there. Each time I went with a short list of things I needed, they had none of it? I'm talking about Sightmark bore sights for 223 & 308 calibers. Boresnake for 40S&W & of course 22LR ammo. I have bought or sold 3 guns in their parking lot, does that count?

18. tallbump

Went back the second day and they were out of .22LR. I should have bought a second box the first night.

19. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Never tried the Ruger American yet, and haven't really looked into it that much.
    Classicfirearms.com runs specials from time to time on Mosins. Usually the rifles, not the carbines, though

20. Sirex

Sirex Member

Mosins are heavy because they are battle rifles, not designed hunting rifles. So, when you run out of ammo you can beat your enemy to death with it. Or pitch a tent, or use it as a boat oar. :)