First Time at the range C9

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by LilJeep, Mar 2, 2015.

1. LilJeep

LilJeep Member

[​IMG]
    (I hope I did that right)
    Does any one know where I went wrong here? Brassmaxx ammo 2 out of 100 rounds did this. WWB 100 rounds I had 1. I was not covered until I had one with the different manufacturer. I have not done anything no polishing or feed lip adjustment. I wanted to see how she ran before I tried anything.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'm assuming brand new?....... IIRC, stove piping could indicate limp wristing.... Also was the stovepipe first round fired? Or subsequent?..... Better answers will come along shortly, and welcome to the forum!

3. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

Welcome to the forum.
    There's a list of reasons why you got this stovepipe so more details would help out.
    Is it fresh out of the box, new mags not broken in, etc.

4. colthrash

colthrash Member

is the round in the pic an empty case, or a full round trying to go into the chamber? I cannot tell...

5. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

It looks like fte. This could be caused by light loads. Also could just be break in. I wouldn't get discouraged, keep your mags loaded and keep shooting!

And welcome, btw.

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

3 out of 200 on a new gun is pretty good.
    Any new gun needs to be broken in.
    It would maybe help if we now the following:
    8 or 10 round mag?
    First,last or intermediate round?

Last but not least it could be operator error as in what is called "limp writing"
    It sounds offensive but simply means you're holding the gun too loosely and it's interfering with it's mechanical cycle.

Despite the fact that mechanically the HiPoints work a little different as they have a fixed barrel this is still one of the best videos to explain limpwristing.

http://youtu.be/tJM1BDMjge4

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That pretty much sums it up.

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Try another 3 or 4 hundred rounds and that should clear it up. This is why I shoot the JHP, no problems at all. Mind you all my mags are broken in and I have about 350 rounds through it. I would try lube (the pistol you dirty minded old men) and more shooting. If that doesn't work then start messing with it.

9. LilJeep

LilJeep Member

Sorry it took so long to reply to your questions but I do appreciate the help and ty for the welcome. This was brand new but the mags (both 8 and 10) had been sitting loaded for 2 weeks with 115 grn wwb. This occurred on both mags 2 to 3 rounds in and is a full round not a eject issue. I am not offended by the thought it is limp wristing I have only shot 20 to 30 round before owning this gun on 3 separate guns but do not have that issue with those. But that may have been beginners luck. I will have to run more through when I get time. And see if that helps. What lube should I be using oil or grease?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  10. colthrash

colthrash Member

feed lips on the magazine a little too far apart? stick with it through 250 rounds or so then re evaluate it. keep some notes you can reference back to, maybe try some different brands of ammo if you can... rem oil or rbc (rifle bore cleaner) on the oil. wipe it out with a paper towel, run a brush down the bore, oil it and run the hell out of it.

11. SWAGA

Don't forget to clean the mags either.
    Easy to do with some brake cleaner aerosol then some light oil and use a dowel to move the follower a bunch of times to help break in the mag.
    You'll be surprised how crunchy even a new mag feels.

12. LilJeep

LilJeep Member

Thank you for the tips I will try the cleaning and oiling as well as the breaking in of the mag before I try adjusting anything. I have a bunch of new ammo aka what every Wallyworld has on the shelf to see what runs best.

13. jcwit

jcwit Member

In 60 years of owning firearms I have yet to need to "break in" a new gun.

I must be one lucky pup.

I should add that's well over a hundred new firearms over the years.

14. SWAGA

Well truthfully quality control is not HP's strong point.
    And they're not highly tuned race guns either.
    But they do have lifetime warranty no questions asked.
    I've never bought a new gun and doubt I'll ever will so I've never had to break in anything either.

15. LilJeep

LilJeep Member

Just a quick update. Since someday someone might read this and say but what's the real answer cause mine does it too!

Limp wrist...

16. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Can't be. It's never that.

17. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

It's never that with Hi Points
    Ironicly limp wristiing is the only thing that can cause a Glock to fail.
    Go figure.

18. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

And Kimbers, wait picking up a Kimber causes it to fail. :rofl:

19. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

The S&W SD9VE is almost the exact size and weight as a Glock 19 and I know you can limp wrist it.

20. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

If you get several jams, it's good to note whether it happens on a certain round in the magazine. I have one pistol that tends to double feed on the second to last round in the magazine.