Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

First time handgun buyer needs advice /information

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  undeRGRound 
#1 ·
Hello folks , I'm new to the forum . I have read all I can about hi-point handguns and I'm really interested in buying a jhp45acp. There seems to be very few problems compared to other handguns which of course is impressive considering their cost. One thing I have read is there handguns have good American support if a problem arises but sometimes they are hard to get a hold of. Is that correct. Also I have read a few times, that even with the adjusting the sights, sometimes it still won't go on target and a few have problems with multiple misfire. With problems like these what recourse do I have. I guess if there was a review that I find troubling, it read a bad report about the slide pinching the web on the thumb in the recoil operation. I think that would give me the yips .

#2 ·
With all HPs, load mag full and leave em sit for at least 1 week prior to evaluation. sand the underside of the b\mag lips to remove and stamping burrs or roughness. No more!!!
Then just shoot it! Questions after the we can answer with much more accuracy!!!! Mags are the weak link here. solve that and likely, you won't have to do any feed ramp polishing or other!

#3 ·
Most are simple answers. If you need to call and dont get thru, try again. They don't have some huge India based answering team, they've got one or two techs that answer the phone. You'll get thru eventually.

If you can't get on target, you need more practice.

Some have had issues, the majority of which go away with proper break-in. Any problems you can call and get help they'll fix anything free. For life.

If your getting pinched, youre holding it wrong. Its not the gun,its the shooter.

#4 ·
I didn't do anything to my 45 JHP magazines, and they functioned fine right out of the box. There have been no issues with the trigger failing, either, and the sights held their zero. The odd anomalies are just that--anomalies. Because people talk about Hi Points so much on this site, the statistical probability of hearing about a problem occurring will be the highest here. In the grand scheme of things, those problems are pretty rare.

#5 ·
I have had guns since before I was old enough to drive but I didn't get my first handgun until I was on Social Security. I got a Hi-Point C9 as my first handgun because it was a cheap way to see if I liked shooting handguns and the 9mm was more affordable to learn to shoot. It was also smaller than the 45.

When I first started shooting, I couldn't hit the side of a barn but I soon found out the problem was me and not the gun. I have bought/traded for 5 more handguns since then. I traded my C9 to a neighbor after I bought a new lighter 9mm to carry. My neighbor wanted the C9 because he likes a heavier gun and he wanted a manual safety which is increasingly harder to find.

#6 ·
Pinching is much more likely when shooting small compact handguns with shorter grips, especially if the shooter has large hands. Otherwise 99% of pinching is caused by improperly gripping the hand gun.

#7 ·
pretty much everything you have said, is any gun. My pops has a sig that is the biggest POS, he probably has more hours adjusting it than shooting it.

My old Berettawas very finicy about being wet and what it shot. My Hi point as done well with a few FTF's, my S&W never a problem, but it only has a few hundred rounds

#8 ·
Hello folks , I'm new to the forum . I have read all I can about hi-point handguns and I'm really interested in buying a jhp45acp. There seems to be very few problems compared to other handguns which of course is impressive considering their cost. One thing I have read is there handguns have good American support if a problem arises but sometimes they are hard to get a hold of. Is that correct.
They do have great U.S. Based support, but it can be hard getting through on the phone.

Also I have read a few times, that even with the adjusting the sights, sometimes it still won't go on target
A few carbines were built with barrels that weren't very straight, they were rare, and they were fixed by the company immediately. I don't recall a handgun that had that problem.:confused:

and a few have problems with multiple misfire.
The firing pin is the ejector. If it gets bent, it leads to problems, one being misfires, and must be replaced...which is free, and easy, they will send it to your house.:)

With problems like these what recourse do I have.
Call them, ask for the parts, give your address, wait a few days....bingo!:)

I guess if there was a review that I find troubling, it read a bad report about the slide pinching the web on the thumb in the recoil operation.
As they said above, only if you think you are an operator, and must use a high grip to minimize muzzle flip. Which is silly on a heavy .45 pistol.:rolleyes:
All the normal folk never have that issue.;)

I think that would give me the yips .
Yips only occur due to repeated stupidity, or repeated battering with too much gun. The HP 45 is one of the easiest softest shooting guns on the planet, if your hands are large enough to hold it..:p

#9 ·
Thanks everyone, My fears have been satisfied with your great responses. I'm buying the 45acp and a hand gun cleaning kit. They add in a extra set of rear sights for $159.(Gander Mountain) Is there something else I should have right away. I plan on shooting it right away. I can where I live.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone, My fears have been satisfied with your great responses. I'm buying the 45acp and a hand gun cleaning kit. They add in a extra set of rear sights for $159.(Gander Mountain) Is there something else I should have right away. I plan on shooting it right away. I can where I live.
Ammo; Lots and lots of ammo :rofl:

#11 ·
Ammo; Lots and lots of ammo
If you haven't bought the pistol yet, pick up a couple of extra magazines (if GM has them) or call HP as soon as you can and purchase a couple from them. They usually run about $15 (45 acp may be $18, never bought them) You WILL want extra mags because shooting is fun - loading mags sucks! And please - let us know how your first venture turns out.

#12 ·
You'll fall in love with a Hi Point. I have a JHP and two JCP's, both extremely accurate and reliable.

Just load the JCP mag and let sit for a few days. JCP mags also tend to hold rounds slightly nose-low, so make sure you give the mag a good palm slap prior to shooting to coax those guys into the proper up angle (about parallel to the mag lips, but angled up ever so slightly).

#13 ·
jbander,

First :welcome:, second it is good to see you are a very intelligent human being. This is proven by your choice of the JHP and the obvious superiority of the 45 ACP cartridge. You are off to a good start. Now for some advice. First you will need at least 2 extra mags, I highly recommend more. Next you will need lots of ammo. If you have wally world near you the PerFecta ammo is inexpensive and reliable. Buy a lot.

Enjoy your new JHP and feel free to chastise those lesser humans that shoot substandard calibers.

:rolleyes::D;)

#14 ·
ALL HP Pistols have the 2nd set of "Ghost Sights" included. Not just Gouger Mountain...

BTW, :greet: :welcome: :dance: :splits: :dance: to HPFF!

jbander,
First :welcome:, second it is good to see you are a very intelligent human being. This is proven by your choice of the JHP and the obvious superiority of the 45 ACP cartridge. You are off to a good start. Now for some advice. First you will need at least 2 extra mags, I highly recommend more. Next you will need lots of ammo. If you have wally world near you the PerFecta ammo is inexpensive and reliable. Buy a lot. Enjoy your new JHP and feel free to chastise those lesser humans that shoot substandard calibers.
Just don't look at the fact the JCP, 40 S&W has more range, more energy, and holds one more in the magazine!

:eek: ;) :D :cool: :rofl:

#15 ·
ALL HP Pistols have the 2nd set of "Ghost Sights" included. Not just Gouger Mountain...

BTW, :greet: :welcome: :dance: :splits: :dance: to HPFF!

jbander,
First :welcome:, second it is good to see you are a very intelligent human being. This is proven by your choice of the JHP and the obvious superiority of the 45 ACP cartridge. You are off to a good start. Now for some advice. First you will need at least 2 extra mags, I highly recommend more. Next you will need lots of ammo. If you have wally world near you the PerFecta ammo is inexpensive and reliable. Buy a lot. Enjoy your new JHP and feel free to chastise those lesser humans that shoot substandard calibers.
Just don't look at the fact the JCP, 40 S&W has more range, more energy, and holds one more in the magazine!

:eek: ;) :D :cool: :rofl:
I actually have both and think the JHP is a bit smoother, however...

#19 · (Edited)
And the 45 is a mans ammo not that frilly crap of a 9 or 40 ;-)
Sure...if that man is short, fat, old, and slow.:p
Note the "real" man's ammo, the three to to the left of the .45 ACP.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.