First time out with my .45 !

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports' started by The_Goat, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Goat

The_Goat Insert Goat Noise Here Member

farm
    Just turned 21 and first thing I did was went out and bought me a hi-point .45!
    Couldn't be happier, was so surprised at how cheap it was.

But anyway, when I finally got it down to the range I had a pretty bad experience. Out of 50 rounds I landed only 16. The target was at 25 yards. When I went the first time I really just wanted to shoot it so I fired all 50 rounds before I even went to look at the target.

Now, I refuse to believe my aim has degraded THAT much in the span of one year (the last time I shot)... because the last time I shot I did very well. Was putting all rounds on target (at 25y and beyond) and on a much smaller target. Was using 9m, .380, and .45s.

So, what range is the hi-point .45 sighted for at default? Is it possible my specific gun just has "off" default sight settings? Next time I go to the range, I'll be putting the target at 10y.. and aiming dead center to see where the shots go to see if its high or low or whatever. What else should I look for when I do that? I've never sighted a gun before and don't have any sighting tools aside from what came with the gun. I saw the new shooter target that tells you what you're doing wrong if you hit those places, should I still deal with that even if I'm an experienced shooter?

Thanks for your advice in advance :)

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

With any new pistol I start at 7 yds. Zero it there. Then I move the target out to 10 or 15. Repeat until you get to 25. Enjoy and welcome to the asylum.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I don't know that they are necessarily default zeroed for a certain range. My JHP 45 was hitting way high out of the box, and I had to crank it down quite a bit.

I started zeroing at 7 yards, though, and then I shot at 25 yards. It will easily keep everything in the black at 25 yards. This was a couple of boxes that I blasted off at 25 yards, with little discipline, and it did pretty well.

Attached Files:

4. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Always start with the target close, then move it away from you as you get better. When it's close, you can see where youre hitting.

Where were you hitting on target or way off?

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

If you landed 16 on target, odds are you are at least partially to blame.
    Regardless of what its factory zero'ed at (likely 10yards) if you hit on target 16 times your aim was either significantly higher or lower (since we don't know exactly where you were hitting).

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome goat. I generally dont shoot pistols out to 25yds. My eyes have a hard time seeing out to 25yds without assistance. To me, pistols are for 5 to 15 yds. 15 is pushing it. 7 is where I generally shoot pistol.

7. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

My C9 was WAY low out of the box. Pretty accurate now up to 10 to 15 yards now. My JCP 40 was very accurate brand new.

I did notice that my natural grip on my C9 had it pointed all a slight downward angle, enough to make a drastic impact on, well, impact LOL

Any way to know what way you were off? High, low, etc.... That woudl help.

Try standing sideways in front of a good size mirror and point the pistol out away from you in your normal shooting stance (insert mandatory disclaimer saying it should be unloaded) and see how it looks. That's how I discovered I was actually aiming low.

8. The_Goat

farm
    OK, so out of these two targets, I fired 25 at each. And I fired one mag at each of the big target circles then picked the lower small circle to fire the rest at. http://i.imgur.com/DJs5YYA.jpg?1
    [​IMG]

After going to look at the targets and seeing how terrible I did, I quickly realized I should have viewed the targets after ever 3-5 shots and adjusted. So like I said next time I go to the range I will do that at a closer range and see just what went wrong. Will report back with my findings :p

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

No offence, but those shots are all over the place. Thats not a "my sights were adjusted wrong" issue. Thats a large handful of operator error.
    Your high of center, low of center, left and right.
    If you were consistantly off in one direction vertically and horizontally id say it was your sights. But thats definitely not the case here.

Ill guess you were shooting relatively quickly? Ifso, slow down and aim. Dumping 8 rounds that don't hit anything fast is pointless. Slow down, learn the gun.

But being so inconsistent, id have someone else take a few shots before you adjust anything and see how they're hitting target. Base adjustments on that.

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I would also suggest some extensive dry fire practice before your next trip out. After clearing the weapon and choosing a safe aiming direction, work on your trigger squeeze and stable position.

As you practice, make sure that You are focusing on the front sight so that it is in focus, while the target and rear sight are blurred. As you carefully squeeze the trigger, observe the front sight for movement as the trigger breaks. If it moves, then that is where a live round would have gone.

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Here's a trick that the Hipoints are particularly well suited for as the slide is wide.
    Bring an empty shell casing from the range.
    Stand in front of a mirror ( with an empty gun) aim and pull the trigger without the shell casing failing off the slide.
    Do 10-15 dry fires every time.
    You can even do it at the range.
    Rack, place empty shell casing, aim and pull the trigger.

This is the idea, stand an empty shell casing up on the slide, a coin is not going to work as well on a flat slide:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  13. The_Goat

farm
    OK guys! I'm back :)
    Finally got back out to the range, and it seems I widely overestimated my own abilities. Even at 7 yards, my aim was not the greatest.
    While at the range I experimented with different firing techniques and tried to focus on certain things like not anticipating, flinching, different grips, etc.
    I noticed that I tend to anticipate the recoil and kind of "push" the gun forward before firing... when I stopped doing that I could center the shot much better. Another thing I noticed was that even at 7 yards, I had to aim at least half a foot above the target in-order to get into the circle. Idk if that was my technique, or the sights... probably a bit of both? Another shooter I was with who also shot it commented on the same thing.

(Most of the shots that are low on the paper happened when I aimed at the bulls-eye. All the shots in the circle happend when I was aiming above the paper. The one .45 shot on the left circle was my girlfriend lol.)
    http://i.imgur.com/6Irhrhf.jpg?1
    [​IMG]

I'd definitely like to try the dry fire trigger pull, because I noticed higher accuracy when I focused hard on a good trigger pull... but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to dry fire my hi-point .45 :(
    Can someone walk me through how to do it? Or maybe I'll have luck finding a thread about it after I post this. The only way I can figure out how to pull the trigger without a bullet in there is when the slide is locked open, but then the trigger has no weight to it so that's not very helpful.

And one more question... I've been practicing speed loading the magazine (the bullets into the mag), and after some time doing it I noticed some serious wear and tear on the bullets (scrapes, discoloration, flaking, etc). Is that bad? Like how many times can I load/unload the same bullets into the mag before I should 'retire' until those bullets are ready to shoot?
    Thanks again guys!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  14. talon

talon the banned wagon

Speed loading drills.....just stop.

Buy extra mags. The only thing mag speed loading drills accomplish is wading your time. Buy extra mags.

Focus on things that will actually improve your shooting. Aiming, control....the rambo factor is useless.

15. The_Goat

farm
    So if I buy more mags I will never have to load bullets into them?

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

No... But you won't have to worry about "speed loading" them.... Honestly, if you're carrying a loaded JHP, and even two extra mags, and you end up where you're worried about reloading them, you're probably past the point of doing it fast making any difference.... Focus on improving accuracy, worry about speed later....

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

First of all you need to make sure your sights are properly set. If your gun doesn't shoot straight because of it you'll be chasing your tail.

Others will argue against it but this is what I did:
    Bought a cheap .45 laser bore sight.
    Something like this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151770...7290-0%26rvr_id%3D898743951130&chn=ps&lpid=82

Used some clamps to set up the gun and aimed at a wall socket about 10 yards away across the room.
    Adjusted the sights.
    I had somebody make a little video on my phone of me shooting a couple of shots.
    Frame by frame you could clearly see I twitch the barrel down as I pull the trigger.
    I've also had the range safety guy shoot my guns when I was in doubt about it being the sights or me.
    So he nails a bulls eye, ok gun is good lol, it's me.
    I'm not an accomplished hand gunner because I don't shoot enough.
    This may be of help

[​IMG]

But some snap caps ( fake bullets) for your dry fire practice. You can get them anywhere.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Snap-Caps-ACP-Per/dp/B0048KFEMM

See if you can find somebody to help you.
    It's always easier in person.
    There's also 100's of hours of video on YouTube, some good, some great, some so-so.

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

I will refrain from commenting on the ignorance of that statement.......

Yes, you will have to load them, thats kindergarten common sense. But youre never going to be G.I. Joe stuck in battle and needing to "speed load" your hi point.

And, who cares how fast you can load your mmagazine if you cant even consistently hit the target?

You've got a classic case of firearm noob priority disorder. Dont make it worse by making dumb comments too. Remember, it was YOU who asked for the help.

19. The_Goat

farm
    I did spend a ton of time watching yt videos on grip and stance, and I did noticed how much focusing on different parts of my grip changed my shots so I know I need practice there before I start bumping up the range again.

Will the snap caps actually snap or anything? I'll have to manually pull the slide each time right? And hopefully they're reusable as well right? :p

I put my comment like that because what you said was what seemed ignorant for me, because I know practicing loading the mag has already cut the time it takes for me to reload the mag in half multiple times over. When I first got it I fumbled with the bullets and would even drop them sometimes, my thumbs would start to hurt after one or two mags. Now that I've practiced I can load it in no time flat... and I can load 100 rounds without my thumbs hurting... proved that today at the range. when I'm at the range with one mag, two mags, or three mags it doesn't matter how many I have if it takes me 10 years to load each one.

I only have one mag, and practicing has vastly improved my loading speed. Not really sure how that can be interpreted as a waste of time or a "noob priority disorder"... pretty sure that was just you being an ass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.