Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if you read the post 40 help, I said I had to put my mag in to close the slide. I should be able to close it with out the mag but I CAN'T! I thought maybe it just needs a little working because it is stiff, boy was I wrong!!! My brother in Middlesboro KY found some ammo for it at one of the gun stores up there and thought about me for once, what a great guy ( no really he is). Well he comes and gets me and we go to the range and nothing happens. I get one in the chamber and get ready for the shot and squeeze the trigger and nothing!!!! The trigger is stuck ,I can not pull the trigger its like the safety is on but the safety is not, Ow well I think its time to call HP. The good news is we had plenty of 45 ammo as well, so the day was not a waste. My brother tyred to poke at me over the 40 but like I told him HP stands behind there guns 100%. Now he's wanting a HP 45 , he really liked the way it handels.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Well if you read the post 40 help, I said I had to put my mag in to close the slide. I should be able to close it with out the mag but I CAN'T! I thought maybe it just needs a little working because it is stiff, boy was I wrong!!! My brother in Middlesboro KY found some ammo for it at one of the gun stores up there and thought about me for once, what a great guy ( no really he is). Well he comes and gets me and we go to the range and nothing happens. I get one in the chamber and get ready for the shot and squeeze the trigger and nothing!!!! The trigger is stuck ,I can not pull the trigger its like the safety is on but the safety is not, Ow well I think its time to call HP. The good news is we had plenty of 45 ammo as well, so the day was not a waste. My brother tyred to poke at me over the 40 but like I told him HP stands behind there guns 100%. Now he's wanting a HP 45 , he really liked the way it handels.
This thread sounded like it was going to go badly. Glad to know that are aware that your story will have a happy ending. Enjoy the almost free magazine!

·
Registered
762 Posts
If this was the first time you ever took the gun out, I would think Hi Point might even put out for a call tag so you wouldn't have to pay for shipping. If it is unusable from the factory, I would think they would try their best to rectify the situation by making the cost to you negligible. Worth asking about, anyways.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Had my JCP out for the first time Saturday.
50 rounds fired, 1 FTF (round 48)
The mag was loaded for 3 weeks, before firing.
But I like it.
I found 2 issues with it. All guns have their issues (personalities)
1 is the trigger pull, I kept thinking, is this ever going to fire...
the other is, the trigger MUST be allowed to "snap" forward, You can't ride the trigger on this monster.
Other than these two things, I loved it.
and YES, I'd trust my JCP in a SHTF event......

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked mine up from the FFL on Thursday, on the range on Saturday, no pre-loading the mag, no pre-shoot teardown. I was bad and just shot it cold:

That was the first 5 rounds out of the gun at 20', standing in my weird "modified weaver". :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked mine up from the FFL on Thursday, on the range on Saturday, no pre-loading the mag, no pre-shoot teardown. I was bad and just shot it cold:

That was the first 5 rounds out of the gun at 20', standing in my weird "modified weaver". :)
I see six holes..... at the bottom at about 6 o'clock

·
Registered
27 Posts

I see six holes..... at the bottom at about 6 o'clock
Yeup.. that's a photoshop'd over hole. The HP mag was full, but I work in sets of 5. The ones I left wide open on the image are the first 5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well guys, I'll need some advice, b/c my first time out with my new HP 40 S & W was not "sucky" but it did prove frustrating....

--loaded all 10 rds into 5 mags (yep, pre-ordered more mags and they arrived before the gun at FFL :cry2:)
--had a jam, misfeed, stovepipe on nearly every round, no exaggerating!
--kept on going, slide would sometimes "catch" but would chamber next round, then go back to misfeeding, jamming slide open, blah blah

--went on to shoot other guns in the bag to take out my frustration, and then get the idea that maybe I'll load just 8 rds in the mags and nothing but net then! Enjoyed myself and wondered what the heck was going on! It was indeed VERY DIFFICULT to get rds 9 and 10 to go into the mag anyway, but love a full mag. What am I to do?

In the interest of fairness, it was CCI aluminum jacket ammo, so don't know if that was it?--am going to get some brass only here soon just to see....

Anyone with experience with HP's have any ideas? 'ppreciate any advice or help.

Garry

·
Registered
69 Posts
The mags need a break-in. load 10 while they sit and load 8 when shooting. about 2 weeks then you should be good to go. Don't know the technical part of it but I'm guessing the spring is stiff
Yeah I had the same problems early on with my JHP and the magazine, I'd leave the magazines loaded, and no more problems

·
Registered
51 Posts
I finally got my .40 out today to put some rounds through it. My first time out just to see what it would do, went through 2 mags of Federal without a glitch. Today was a different story. Went through the Federal that I had pre loaded in my mag with no problem. I had also picked up some WWB and Blazer Brass just to try out to see if the gun would like it. The WWB FTL a few rounds, plus, when doing the intial rack slide to load the first round, it was trying to stick 2 in. Had this happen more than once. Had a little better luck with the Blazer Brass. Only one FTL while my son was shooting it, so I think limp wristing came into play.

I figure it still needs some breaking in. I got the gun used from an auction, so I do not know how many rounds have actually been through the thing. One thing I did notice that the WWB loaded into the mag with much issue. The BB and Federal was a little more forceful, like they were a little wider, but they certainly loaded better!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:D Wow I forgot about this post lol! Well any ways I sent it back to mother and got it back 3 weeks later. They gave free mag with it . Well any ways it had a bad firing pin spring (it was bent and stuck) and something with the last round hold open was not working right , don't remember what he said. It shoots like a dream now and that my friends is why I love my HP, and all that matters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.