Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the Stats,
$180 995 Brand New - Purchased end of March
200 rounds Winchester WB, 200 rounds Remington FMC
Stock , nothing added, Iron Sights

Weather, cold ~45 degrees, windgusts to 20-25 MPH

Outcomes

(25 yards)
25 yards I noticed that the gun was shooting low and right. I adjusted to get close but the odd thing is that the windage (Left-Right) sight adjustements ended up almost 1/4 left of middle. (Odd, I dont think the wind was the only culprit)..
Groupings were ok I guess, grouping ~8+ inches. All shots on target paper, concentrated low and right.

(50 yards)
All shots on paper spread around, but all in a grouping of ~10inches or so. (note made adjustment for wind gusts so aimed high and left.) (50 rounds)

(100 yards)
All shots on paper except one. Grouping is ~12+ inches or more but with my first Bullseye(go figure). Large adjustemts for windage and 9mm drop. Aimed high and left even more than at 50 yards. (50 rounds or so) (sidenote here, 100 rounds of .22LR here with scope so wind was definitley an issue here.

I will try and post pictures when I get my camera back.

Summation:
I feel that I got my moneys worth for sure. Did I have any issues? yes. One is that after 2 rounds were shot part of the barrel covering fell off. I then noticed that the iron sights at the end of the barrel were not tight and caused the piece to fall off but was an easy fix with an allen wrench. Glad the range guard had one! I only had one jam at the very first time I tried to fire a round from a 15-round magazine. I reseated the rounds (exercised the spring a few times) and had no further issues. I had no issues with any of my (4) 10-round clips.

My son was with me and fired half the rounds or so and he did very well also. Almost all rounds were on paper at 25, 50, and 100 yards. They were not as grouped as mine but were very similar to my results. He can shoot and has shot a .270 (50 rounds or so) and a 7mm (10 rounds or so). He also got to shoot my 12 gauge with slugs and said it kicked like a mule. :'(

In summation, great little gun for the money. When all the other shooters were gone, the attendant had made a comment about Hi-point guns in general so I offered him the chance to shoot 10 rounds at 25 yards. The results surprised both he and I. At 25 yards he had a grouping of 4 inches. He said it is shooting low and right just as I had noticed. What this told me is he was a damn good shot, much better than I anyway. He said that it was a nice tight grouping and I think he was impressed! Especially considering that he did not have the best opinions of High-points going in.

So the next trip I will work on the low and right issues that I can partially attest to wind.

Cleaning the gun was odd, the barrel cleaned fine but inside was a bugger. It seemed that there was some 'stuff' attached to the metal parts from manufacturing that came off with the scrubbing but no worries.

Edit: One other item. the 10 round clips do not always seat properly, I need to fiddle with them. Not sure what the deal is here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: First Time Range Report 995

try different ammo next time mine likes blazer brass ,pmc bronze,and my own reloads all in 115 grain I know about the wind everytime I can shoot its windy as hell scope or red dot would help too especially at 100 yds

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yeah, not sure about what ammo to use. I used what ammo I had the most of, its hard as hell to get in 9mm around here. I have some others but small amounts.

Home Defense stuff...

Winchester 9mm Luger 147 Grain SXT $21.99 per 20 (local Store)
Federal Premium Low Recoil 9mm Luger 135 Grain HyrdaShok $24.99 per 20 (local Store)
Hornady 9mm Luger Critical Defense 115 Grain TFX $23.99 per 25 (local Store)

plinking stuff

Winchester White Box 100 pk FMJ 115 Grain $26.99 per 100 (Wally World)
Wolf 9mm Luger 115 Grain Steel Case $19.99 per 50 GanderMtn
Remington 9mmm Luger 115 Grain UMC $13.99 per 50 GanderMtn
PMC Bronze 9mm 115 Grain FMJ $19.99 per 50 GanderMtn
Independence 9mm Luger 115 Grain FMJ $13.99 per 50 (local Store)
Magtech 9mm Luger 115 Grain FMC $9.99 per 50 (local Store in 2007)

As for the scope, if I can hit a target with iron sights like this on a windy day, I do not need to spend $100 on a scope. I will wait for the 4595 for that.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts

sounds like fun Edsinger!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First Time Range Report 995 * IRON SITE PICS @100 yards Table rest...

IRON SITE PICS @100 yards Table rest...
(ME)

(SON)

Not bad for the 1st time out I would say, like I said the range officer showed me what the heck a grouping looked like with the 995.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.