first time shooting rifle.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lsi1, Mar 8, 2015.

1. lsi1

lsi1 Member

Today i took my son who just recently turned 5 shooting with me. I set up my home made steel target in front of the birm and walked back about 15-20 yards and handed my son his new crickett, went over the safety rules again took the gun back from him and loaded it. I gave it to him he shouldered it, I reached in and pulled back the hammer plunger and he shot. He missed. we repeated the process and this time the sound of steel ringing.

We proceeded to go through quite a few rounds of 22lr today. Wish i would have thought to get pictures of his first time with a rifle. He shot a 22 revolver last fall but wasn't really able to hit the tiny targets my brother in law had set up. Judging by his reactions and the fact he already asked to go again he's hooked.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Congrats!....... Glad he wants to be part of it!

3. Sounds like a classic time. You will remember for ever.

my son will be 6 this fall. I haven't even been able to let him shoot the red ryder. He just won't pay attention long enough to get the safety rules down. And he really isn't interested :-/

4. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

When they are young, you must keep pushing the safety thing every time without fail. Every time you go shooting. Never, never let up on that point. Their little minds wander a lot and they need a constant reminder of the harm a bullet can do. I've seen it happen. Saw a kid almost shoot himself in the foot once. Just a momentary lapse of reasoning on his part. Be a drill sergeant if necessary. Don't question me, just do it! Neither of you will be sorry you did.

5. lsi1

lsi1 Member

There are days that my son isn't ready today just happened to be a day where i could let him outside for a couple hours to burn off enough energy he could think clearly again.

6. lsi1

lsi1 Member

This is why i chose the single shot Crickett because of the externally manually cocked hammer plunger. It gives me just that added control of him not being able to pull the trigger before I am ready. That and it was a spectacular deal.

I have seen enough adults execise poor safety hat I am extra watchful of my little one.